Any thoughts on comparing Silversea to Crystal?

Raptordash

I have cruised on Symphony 11 times over the past 15 years, most recently this June and have never been disappointed. And with the new changes, this past cruise was the best ever.

I am contemplating a January 2020 cruise Australia and New Zealand on Silversea Muse, Seabourn Encore, or Viking Orion (because Crystal does not have any itineraries there in late 2019 or early 2020).

I am somewhat familiar with Viking as my brother and sister-in-law were on a 4 month World Cruise on Viking Sun this year and loved it. Surprisingly, I have not read good things about Seabourn Encore (a lot of forum threads talk about how with the Encore being much larger than all of Seabourn's other ships, the service is not good). I have not found a lot of useful info regarding life aboard Silversea (especially Muse), so I would appreciate anyone who can compare Crystal to Silversea in general and Muse specifically.

The one thing that I really do not care about is the cabin. I never spend much time in the cabin, so it doesn't matter how big it is, as long as it is clean. I always book a deck 7 cabin on Symphony. But everything else matters: crew friendliness and service, food, activities on sea days and in the evening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marc

I cruise on both Crystal and Silversea. However, I am gravitating more toward Silversea lately.

Crystal certainly wins on entertainment, enrichment lectures, classes in this and that, dance lessons, etc., etc. However, I have tired of hearing the same lecturers giving largely the same lectures. I do not want dance classes. I know how to use my iPad. Etc.

What I want are quiet places on the ship to listen to music (with earbuds), observe the scenery, read a book, etc. And more and more I find that there is so much activity on Crystal that there are few quiet places to which to retreat. It is really infuriating (as has happened on multiple occasions) to be sitting in Palm Court reading a book and dance instructor comes in, sets up a boom box, and plays loud music and barks loud instructions for a private dance lesson (yes, fee charged.) I have spoken with CD and HD about this and they say the instructor needs the income.

So, if one wants to be entertained intensely (far more lectures, more lavish evening production shows, etc.) and doesn't care about the very small standard Crystal cabins (I do care), go for Crystal.

I think they are about equal for food, service, etc.

Though I have toured Muse, I have not sailed on her. Crystal ships have of course ~ 50% more guests. I think Muse is a stunning ship.

BTW: I infer (perhaps incorrectly) that you sail solo. Crystal's solo fares seem to have gone up a good deal, while Silversea now offers lots of 25% solo supplements.

Thanks for your thoughts Observer.

I am solo, but usually travel with a small group of friends, but like my own cabin.

I too like some quiet time, and find that despite the number of passengers, there are quiet spaces on Symphony--aft on decks 8 and 9, where there are lounge chairs and almost never anyone else there.

Will see what others think. I have been spoiled rotten by the crew on Symphony and for the most part, love the dining.

Marc

I have not found a lot of useful info regarding life aboard Silversea (especially Muse), so I would appreciate anyone who can compare Crystal to Silversea in general and Muse specifically.
Really? Not much useful Muse info? I’m on a mobile phone at the moment in an airport using the app, so cannot post links for you from the full site using a laptop. Therefore, I recommend you use the search function to perform an advanced search with “Muse” as the keyword and “Silversea” as the forum name. You should find a wide variety of topics from the launch of the ship in the spring of 2017 to my daily trip report last month.

Good luck Marc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We sailed on Seabourn Encore and found the service to be quite good (as we did this last June on its sister sister ship Ovation). I would not let a few subjective reviews keep me from booking on one of these two Seabourn ships. We really like them--and book on them exclusively.

Edited by SLSD

I too like some quiet time, and find that despite the number of passengers, there are quiet spaces on Symphony--aft on decks 8 and 9, where there are lounge chairs and almost never anyone else there.

Yes, these aft spaces are very nice and often quiet. But for me, the quiet is entirely offset by the smoking -- including cigar/pipe smoking -- that is permitted there. Smoking on these aft decks has driven me away more times than I can count.

Stumblefoot: Thanks for the info, but I am more looking for comparison of Crystal (Symphony) to Silversea Muse.

SLSD: Thanks for your thoughts. If it were just a few bad posts in the Seabourn forum regarding service and food on Encore, I could ignore them, but there are many. Glad to hear you enjoyed.

Marc

Raptordash, I think the issue with Encore/Ovation vs the smaller Seabourn ships is a reluctance when it comes to change. We found the service to be quite good and we are leary of booking on the smaller ships. We've done two cruises on the new SB ships now (after a voyage on one of the small Silversea ships) and really don't want to go back. Perhaps if we DO book one of the smaller SB ships, I'll be able to give you a direct comparison.

I have sailed both. Crystal is ahead in organized things to due along with shows. SS is way ahead in the cabin and the fact everyone has a butler. Since Crystal ships are much bigger they have grander lobbies, much better show lounge etc along with much more people. The Muse is new so it has much better technology and in much better shape overall. Muse has a better terrace grill while Crystal has a better pool deck. I have no problem using both but I lean toward SS because of the cabin, regular cabins on Crystal are worn out.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I have never sailed Crystal, first because of assigned seating, and now because of the size of the cabin compared to verandas on Regent, Silversea, and Seabourn. I really like Seabourn Encore and am sailing on Ovation next month; I haven't been on the smaller Seabourn ships. I also have a B2B on Silversea Muse next year. I travel solo, and they do offer reduced fares on some sailings. I also like Oceania but upgrade to a Penthouse which single-supplement-wise, are much more reasonable than Crystal. So, there are many options out there. I know Crystal is rebranding and branching out, but not in ocean sailing. Silversea Muse dining is sort of different, no MDR, but haven't heard too many complaints about waiting for a dinner table. I look first at itinerary, then the 4 cruise lines I've mentioned. Regent occasionally offers solo deals on last minute cruising, but Silversea offers them on future bookings.

I have sailed both. Crystal is ahead in organized things to due along with shows. SS is way ahead in the cabin and the fact everyone has a butler. Since Crystal ships are much bigger they have grander lobbies, much better show lounge etc along with much more people. The Muse is new so it has much better technology and in much better shape overall. Muse has a better terrace grill while Crystal has a better pool deck. I have no problem using both but I lean toward SS because of the cabin, regular cabins on Crystal are worn out.

Very good summary points reflecting both sides by this above New York City poster. We did a very nice, 11-day Crystal Symphony sailing in 2008 from Dover to Stockholm involving Russia, the Baltics, etc.

Being larger, the Symphony can offer a wider range of speakers, shows, larger public areas, etc. While we have not yet been on the Muse, we were last year on its somewhat, kind of "sister ship", the Silver Spirit.

Smaller and more "personal" Silverseas has its many pluses, too. Symphony's guest rooms are generally smaller. Much larger on the Muse When it comes to electrical outlets, USB plug-ins, etc., newer can be better on the Muse. Getting ready next summer to sail on the Silver Muse for Alaska and I have been soaking up info for what seems like a very nice ship with wonderful offerings, options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,710 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Thanks to all of the new opinions. I am taking it all in and will be discussing options with my travel friends.

Every cruise line, and for that matter every ship, will be different and have some things better than others and some things not as good as others. My least concern is the size of the cabin.

But dining, shipboard activities, and overall service from the crew are of great concern.

If any ship can even come close to Crystal Symphony in those areas, I would be very happy.

Marc

But dining, shipboard activities, and overall service from the crew are of great concern.
As folks continue to compare and contrast for you, I can tell you if it weren’t for the crew, we wouldn’t continue sailing SS. THEY are what keeps us coming back. And the food, while highly subjective, is of a very high quality IMHO as I noted in our live trip report from the Muse in June. The same was true last November as well.

Thanks to all of the new opinions. I am taking it all in and will be discussing options with my travel friends.

Every cruise line, and for that matter every ship, will be different and have some things better than others and some things not as good as others. My least concern is the size of the cabin.

If any ship can even come close to Crystal Symphony in those areas, I would be very happy.

Marc

I would like to chime in again as I see your recent post. Crystal is way ahead of SS in shipboard activities because of the size of the ship. SS does a nice job however the smaller ship has less venues. As for dinning I prefer SS because of the lay out of the dinning rooms and the wider choice, after all Crystal is fighting a old ship designed for two sitting dinner. As for crew, they both do a great job however they are people, some haveing a better day than others. I must say I was never said no to on either ship but got more pampering on SS because of the butler. I just get a standard cabin so none on Crystal. As I said I would go on both however seems Symphony checks all your boxes, why mess with perfection?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Symphony checks all your boxes, why mess with perfection?
I was thinking the same as you Hypercafe. It’s why we stay with SS. We’re so satisfied, I couldn’t imagine bothering with any other line.

Now, don’t ask me about airlines as Rachel Gibbs, Mrs. ET, and Col. Wes can attest. [emoji4]

Appreciate everyone's input.

Hyercafe: If Crystal had an itinerary for Australia and New Zealand that fit my schedule, I would stick with Crystal in a heartbeat.

Just so you are aware, Symphony underwent a retrofit September 2017, reducing the total passenger capacity by more than 100 in order to be able to have "As you wish dining times" in the main dining room. No longer has two set seatings. Also, there are now a total of 4 specialty restaurants, they added two more in the retrofit, again to allow dining whatever time you wish. aside from Prego, Italian, and Nobu's restaurant, now called Umi Uma (was called Silk Road) they have added a Chinese restaurant, Silk and a Churrascaria venue.

Crystal Serenity is to undergo a retrofit reducing capacity this coming October, so that ship too will be able to offer "As you wish dining" times.

Anyway, I thank everyone for their opinions and info.

Marc

Sorry to come late to this party. I think the original post hits the nail on the head. If you don't care about the cabin, I would recommend Crystal. I think they are a bit ahead in most categories, but com out way behind in terms of cabin size, amenities, and service. My personal choice is for Silversea, because I do appreciate the larger standard cabins, the butler service, etc.

We haven’t looked at Crystal lately. Years ago we were pretty regular and loyal Holland America cruisers. Comparing the two back then Crystal didn’t work for us. I don’t remember our exact hesitancy but I think it was cost and itinerary driven. Come 2011 and we were ready to pull the trigger on a 12-day Holland America Med cruise on the Prinsendam when we came across a 14-day Silversea Med cruise on the Wind for about the same price. What a great cruise! Needless to say seven Silversea cruises later we are converts. While we’ve heard good things about Crystal we are totally sold on the Silversea ship size, food, service, cabins, and great itinerary choices. Haven’t booked it yet but pretty sure we’ll be on Silversea again next year in the Med and stops in Israel.

I’m a fan of both lines-each for different reasons. Each is luxurious, excellent service and amenities. Each has great crew, always friendly and accommodating. I find Crystal’s food better and if I were on a multi sea-day cruise I’d opt for Crystal too because of the amount of activities. I’m a solo traveler and I find Silversea’s attention to us marginally better. Crystal’s retrofit of Symphony definitely knocked it up a notch but SS’s standard veranda cabins are much nicer. I’ll be sailing Silversea’s “stretched” Spirit next year. For me it comes down to itinerary but I’d go with either again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tea time is so much nicer on SS. If you value lectures and evening entertainment then Crystal is the way to go. If you value good food and a much more refined ambiance in public spaces, dining venues and cabins then go with SS. Service is by far much more superior on SS. The breakfast buffet on Crystal is awful and the same as any budget lido cafe. The card room and organized bridge lessons and games are much better on Crystal.

We haven’t looked at Crystal lately. Years ago we were pretty regular and loyal Holland America cruisers. Comparing the two back then Crystal didn’t work for us. I don’t remember our exact hesitancy but I think it was cost and itinerary driven. Come 2011 and we were ready to pull the trigger on a 12-day Holland America Med cruise on the Prinsendam when we came across a 14-day Silversea Med cruise on the Wind for about the same price. What a great cruise! Needless to say seven Silversea cruises later we are converts. While we’ve heard good things about Crystal we are totally sold on the Silversea ship size, food, service, cabins, and great itinerary choices. Haven’t booked it yet but pretty sure we’ll be on Silversea again next year in the Med and stops in Israel.

Hi Randy:D which cruise next year? Ship? Date?

There is no comparison. Silversea gives you real estate (with large cabin sizes other than on "expedition cruises"), while Crystal gives you the intangible of "perceived service" which depends on personal taste. Crystal's staff to passenger ratio is no better than Silversea, their advertisements just "boast" harder.

Another issue, treated in other threads.

For cruises in 2020 (and presumably thereafter) the Crystal cancellation penalties are far more severe than Silversea's for longer (22+ day) cruises that I typically take.

With Crystal, cancellation six months before departure results in a 25% penalty. With Silversea, there is no penalty until four months before departure, and then it is only 15% as I recall.

These are important differences to me. Yes, I know there is insurance. And I also know that it doesn't cover some issues that might arise for me.

Havie sailed both but on,y once on Crystal and three times on Silversea. As others have pointed out, the cabins on Silversea are coonsiderably,y larger. That matters to me when I travel with a friend rather than solo. I think of Crystal as summer camp—-tons of options, lots of activities, etc. also more Americans. On my Silversea trips, I have met many more people from other places such as UK, Australia, France. I love that aspect of Silversea. I felt food was fine on both. Silversea had the butler service in veranda level but I am fine without that. Crystal had lots of laundry facilities which were dreadful on Silversea. Both were very positive experiences so it would depend on itinerary and pricing.