Silversea Explorer Nome to Seward August 13-25, 2018-live

RachelG

August 12,2018–setting the table for Nome to Seward on Silversea Explorer

We are here in the admirals club at LAX awaiting our flight to Anchorage. Originally we were going to leave a few days earlier, fly to Fairbanks, and drive to Denali then on to Anchorage. But George and I were both swamped with work, so we had to change the plans. By that time, the direct flights from DFW to Anchorage were sold out, so we are taking the scenic route. But hey, we get more miles.

Tomorrow we will fly on to Nome then embark on Silversea Explorer for what I hope will be a much more successful cruise than the one just finishing up. A bunch of our friends are disembarking, and they are not happy campers. The ship was supposed to go to Wrangel Island, but never made it due to a medical emergency and ice. So they basically just floated around in the ocean for several days.

We are not supposed to go that far north. We go over to eastern Russia then down to Kodiak Island and end up in Seward. This is a new part of Alaska for us. And I am confident that we can make our landings.

This is our 5th cruise on Explorer, so we obviously like the little ship a lot. It is not the typical cruise. There will be no formal nights or shows after dinner. But there will be zodiac rides, wildlife, and a lot of fun.

So come on and join us vicariously. I will try to post every day though sometimes that may be a little difficult, particularly when we are in Russia. I try to tell it like it is, so be prepared for that.

Rachel, hope you have a wonderful cruise even though your crossing will be rough. Yes, this cruise has been a disaster; to add insult to injury we arrived in nome a day early so the captain could fly home early. At $1k per day sitting in nome playing cards all day is not my idea of fun.

I have not posted details on cc pending response for larger compensation than offered. I will eventually post a full report once I hear back from silversea.

Marc

Rachel, hope you have a wonderful cruise even though your crossing will be rough. Yes, this cruise has been a disaster; to add insult to injury we arrived in nome a day early so the captain could fly home early. At $1k per day sitting in nome playing cards all day is not my idea of fun. ...........

Marc

O M G the news from the Explorer just keeps getting worser and worser !!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Marc, I am so happy we decided not to go on the cruise you all are on. We miss being with friends, but George would be furious and leading a mutiny.

Our flight arrived in Anchorage early, and our luggage was first off the plane. A quick cab drive to the new Home2 which is currently the #1 rated hotel in Anchorage (the standard here is pretty low—we have previously stayed at the Hilton, and it was nothing to write home about). It is brand new, but is basically just a Hampton Inn with big rooms. It is very clean and comfortable though George thought the pillows stank. I could not smell anything. I think he is having olfactory hallucinations.

August 13, 2018–embarkation in Nome Alaska

I woke up at 4:30 am because of the time difference. After trying to tell myself to go back to sleep and failing miserably, I gave up, pulled the curtain dividing our room, and tried to be as quiet as possible. George slept till about 5:30 but then gave up as well.

JP and stumblefoot, his olfactory hallucinations apparently were telling him that he needed to buy dental floss, because he had forgotten his, and my regular plain floss is not good enough. We inquired at the desk as to where a Walmart might be, and the clerk told us it was really close, just 4 blocks.

We took off walking. It had turned very cool and overcast over night with some pretty threatening looking clouds. It started sprinkling rain, but hey, it’s only 4 blocks.

All I can say is that the definition of a “block” is considerably different that in Oklahoma. My Fitbit logged the distance as 1.2 miles. At least I got a bunch of steps. By the time we got there, it was raining steadily, so dental floss procured, we ubered back to pick up the luggage and headed to the airport.

The Alaska Air flight to Nome was quick and easy. We were met at the tiny airport by Silversea reps who directed us to our transport, yellow school buses, but first we had time for quick hugs and greetings from our friends disembarking the previous cruise who were getting ready to board the return flight.

The weather was pretty chilly and overcast, probably in the 50s, but wind made it seem cooler. Our very friendly bus driver and guide took us to the old church where they had lunch set up for us, then we had time to explore the town, including where the Iditarod ends, and go out and see some musk ox that were hanging around nearby. Apparently the musk ox here are not a bit afraid of humans and are quite a pest. They get in peoples yards and eat their plants, knock over headstones in the cemetery, and kill dogs.

At 2:00, we reboarded the buses to go to the ship. Checkin was quick. Luggage was in our cabin, and I quickly unpacked and found a place for everything. Muster drill was at 4:00. This was followed by a zodiac orientation and safety lecture, then sail away at 5:00. At 6:30 was an overview of the upcoming trip. Also a word from the captain warning that the seas would pick up considerably during the night and to take precautions if needed. George is really happy about that, and I am not being facetious. He loves rough seas and is disappointed if things are totally smooth.

Sure enough, in about an hour, we were really rocking and rolling. Dinner was delicious. I had an asparagus salad and Indian veggie vindaloo which was excellent. George had fettuccini Alfredo and scallops. But we saw something we have never seen before.

Due to the seas, the dining room was very quiet, maybe about half full. Suddenly two crew members in hazmat suits came in and about 1/4 of the room was cordoned off. The passengers in that area were moved to different tables. Apparently a lady had become sick, probably sea sick, but in an abundance of caution, the ship doctor had the whole area roped off and decontaminated. Interesting to say the least.

Fair Winds & Following (well some swell for George) seas for your Explorer cruise Rachel & George!

Enjoying your delightful Nome narrative and Explorer boarding experience.

Marc, very sorry to hear your Explorer cruise turned out as more of a crossing than

as an expedition voyage. Followed with keen interest, your posts both here and on the other board. Hoping Silversea helps make it as right for Arlene and you--meeting your post cruise expections.

Rachel - Just an FYI - I am not seeing any of the photos you posted. You might check the posts on "the other forum" from the group that just disembarked - if I recall correctly, it seems to be an issue with Silverseas blocking some photo hosting sights - but they found a way to get around it. Looking forward to your posts - we have not been to Dutch Harbor or Kodiak yet either, and it's on our bucket list.

Cindy

The photographs are bringing back memories, when we were there, that field in front of the church was all mud.

Its a quirky town.

On our approach to the port, we saw a guy fall off his boat, which was really just a platform with a small cabin on it, and there was a call for man overboard from our ship. The guy managed to get back on by himself. He could have used that swan float, maybe that's what they are used for! People buy them as flotation devices ! They are so expensive, even with the club discount.

you look happy and relaxed.

Enjoy.