Antarctica Kayaking question

BillK400

I am hoping to kayak when on our Antarctica cruise this Nov (11/22/18 on the Silver Cloud). I realize there is a "lottery" to pick who has an opportunity to kayak but want to be "ready" if I am fortunate to be chosen. Are waterproof/neoprene gloves (maybe pogies - more like mittens that attach to the paddle) provided or should I pack my own gloves?

I would also appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had an opportunity to kayak while on an Antarctic cruise. I kayak as much as possible (river and sea) and being able to Kayak in Antarctica would be a thrill.

Thanks!

Bill

I am hoping to kayak when on our Antarctica cruise this Nov (11/22/18 on the Silver Cloud). I realize there is a "lottery" to pick who has an opportunity to kayak but want to be "ready" if I am fortunate to be chosen. Are waterproof/neoprene gloves (maybe pogies - more like mittens that attach to the paddle) provided or should I pack my own gloves?

I would also appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had an opportunity to kayak while on an Antarctic cruise. I kayak as much as possible (river and sea) and being able to Kayak in Antarctica would be a thrill.

Thanks!

Bill

We had the option to kayak on our Antarctica cruise this past February. There was a mandatory meeting and orientation shortly after we boarded for those interested in kayaking. We signed up, had to fill out a questionnaire and were approved to kayak. When it came to our turn unfortunately my husband was not feeling well that day so we ending up not doing it. Then the second time our turn came up we just decided not to do it, mainly because of all the gear and special suit they have you wear which is all provided. You don't need to purchase or bring anything. There were special gloves and special things for your feet as I recall. From those who did it they said it was really nice but everyone said it was difficult to get the suit and gear on, and difficult to take off when returning to the ship. If you are a kayaker you would probably enjoy it. We have never done it before. As for the lottery, lots of people signed up who did not get to kayak. You must be able to swim (of course), and you must speak English. We had a group from China on our cruise. The guides must be able to communicate with everyone in the group. Some of them did not speak English or know how to swim.

Carol,

Thank you for the information. I should have suspected they would provide a "dry suit" due to the cold water. With the dry suit, gloves will be provided. One less thing I need to pack. Now I just have to hope my luck is good and get a chance to actually do the kayaking.

Bill

Carol,

Thank you for the information. I should have suspected they would provide a "dry suit" due to the cold water. With the dry suit, gloves will be provided. One less thing I need to pack. Now I just have to hope my luck is good and get a chance to actually do the kayaking.

Bill

Bill - you will have the opportunity to kayak, don't worry.