All-Inclusive on the Sun - how is it going?

SheSailsFL

WOW! You should really rethink how you stereotype certain crowds, people, circumstances, etc. I was on a 3 nighter with my mother back in June. Crowd was extremely classy...myself included.

CM

some people base their entire views on one short experience. I agree with you. Of course are going to be different than long cruises. They are designed for people who only want to get away for a few days, and yes, booze cruises are going to have more drinkers, but for anyone to think they have all the answers based on one experience always blows my mind.

We have done both 3 day cruises and 14 day ones, we have found the embarkation port has as much to do with the type of people sailing than the number of days. Even then I would not say, any cruise has had more classless people than another. Those who choose to drink through there entire cruise and then judge others are the ones that seem to have the strongest opinions.

WOW! You should really rethink how you stereotype certain crowds, people, circumstances, etc. I was on a 3 nighter with my mother back in June. Crowd was extremely classy...myself included.

CM

Yeah, seriously... We were just on the 3-day Sun cruise and did not see anyone acting trashy. I certainly don't think we are trashy people but we like 3-day cruises because we don't have to miss so much work. People who work full time are trashy now??

Back to the topic - I found the open-bar drink selection on Sun to be very limited. You had your choice of exactly three martinis - a classic, a Cosmo and a French. I think the open-bar concept is probably great if you drink beer or frozen drinks but not if you just want a good cocktail. I had three different bartenders tell me I could only order what was on their menu and their menu is not very big. Personally I'd rather pay for what I want instead of getting unlimited "free" drinks that I don't want.

Edited by CruisinCrow

Back to the topic - I found the open-bar drink selection on Sun to be very limited. You had your choice of exactly three martinis - a classic, a Cosmo and a French. I think the open-bar concept is probably great if you drink beer or frozen drinks but not if you just want a good cocktail. I had three different bartenders tell me I could only order what was on their menu and their menu is not very big. Personally I'd rather pay for what I want instead of getting unlimited "free" drinks that I don't want.

Interesting. So its difficult to get a Bloody Mary? G &T? or Rum & lime over ice? 2 fingers scotch neat?

I drink my martinis VERY dry and will often drink just a gin w lime..no vermouth

Have found if I can't order the exact "cocktail"-- which is often a lack of training (and cultural knowledge of crew), then ordering the item as -- gin--shaken--served up with wedge of lime gets me there the same way--different route.

We are not froz drinks folks normally--however--that said--- on our last sailing we hung out a lot with a couple from Boston that are... We all drank a lot of froz concoctions-- and some were pretty yummy (though all of that sugar--YIKES on the carbs!!)

We haven't sailed NCL before so the "inclusive" is really similar to having purchased a bev package on the other line anyway. No counting..its already in the budget... :cocktail::cocktail::cocktail:

Interesting. So its difficult to get a Bloody Mary? G &T? or Rum & lime over ice? 2 fingers scotch neat?

I drink my martinis VERY dry and will often drink just a gin w lime..no vermouth

Have found if I can't order the exact "cocktail"-- which is often a lack of training (and cultural knowledge of crew), then ordering the item as -- gin--shaken--served up with wedge of lime gets me there the same way--different route.

We are not froz drinks folks normally--however--that said--- on our last sailing we hung out a lot with a couple from Boston that are... We all drank a lot of froz concoctions-- and some were pretty yummy (though all of that sugar--YIKES on the carbs!!)

We haven't sailed NCL before so the "inclusive" is really similar to having purchased a bev package on the other line anyway. No counting..its already in the budget... :cocktail::cocktail::cocktail:

I remember seeing Bloody Marys. And I heard someone order a classic martini extra dirty. I could also order rum and Coke with no problem (I could even ask for a specific brand of rum, like Bacardi). But when I asked for a chocolate martini, they said "no, we are only allowed to make classic, Cosmos or French martinis". If they had the ingredients for a mudslide, they had the ingredients for a chocolate martini. I don't think it was a matter of not knowing how either. They actually said they were "not allowed". I found that weird and annoying.

I don't really drink frozen drinks either. Thank goodness they at least had mojitos on their menu!

I don't really drink frozen drinks either. Thank goodness they at least had mojitos on their menu!

YES! Wonderful!

Years back on he Sunshine they ran out of mint! Honestly they could have used small sprigs and muddled them better.. :tropical-drink::tropical-drink::tropical-drink:

Can you order a double for example of scotch? Or do they measure out a chintzy amount like an airport bar?

I’d prefer to get a generous pour, take somewhere and lounge with my book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some bartenders will...Or they will give you a shot on the side. It does help to find a good bartender and slip him a couple dollars and you will not be sorry. Have a great trip.

These are pretty much your options at the indoor bars. I'm not sure if the pool bar had a separate menu for frozen drinks.

The links are menus someone posted from Sky but they were the same on Sun.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DSC04189-Copy.jpg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DSC04188-Copy.jpg

Can you order a double for example of scotch? Or do they measure out a chintzy amount like an airport bar?

I’d prefer to get a generous pour, take somewhere and lounge with my book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I heard you could order two drinks at a time so if they won't give you a double, maybe they'll give you two singles. :)

These are pretty much your options at the indoor bars. I'm not sure if the pool bar had a separate menu for frozen drinks.

The links are menus someone posted from Sky but they were the same on Sun.

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DSC04189-Copy.jpg

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DSC04188-Copy.jpg

awww no raspberry mojito :(

If you are going on a 4-day Cuba itinerary, there is no drink package. Ignore everything on MyNCL about it. As others mentioned above, most drinks are included (free) unless it has a menu price. My husband, sister, and BIL were just on the Sun, and we paid nothing for alcohol except one night when my husband wanted a Maker's Mark OTR. Between the four of us we had all the fun frozen drinks (mango meltdown, pina colada, Miami vice, bushwhacker, etc). My husband and BIL drank their fill of Bud Light and Heineken (this is NOT a craft beer ship, lol). My sister enjoyed a variety of margaritas and mojitos. Plenty of variety without spending an additional dime (other than throwing some love towards the bartenders - they DO appreciate it :D).

You do have to pay for water and specialty coffee (which you also have to with the regular beverage package that I just told you to ignore :p). We usually had a double espresso every afternoon and I ordered 6 liters of water for my room ahead of time - while it was more than I would pay at home, I didn't think it was too excessive overall. You can drink the ship's water - I wanted the water bottles for Cuba.

Was the beer in cans or draft?!!