NCL Cruise to Cuba - Canadian passengers - VISA/Tourist Card

sueplay

I hope I might get some help with my question. As I am flying from Canada to Miami and then boarding NCL - not a package, I was told by NCL that I would need a VISA/Tourist Card and it is $75 US each for my husband and I to do this with NCL. Yikes. That's a steep cost for a 4 day cruise.

We have an Embassy here and I wondered if anyone gotten a VISA/Tourist Card that way. Thanks for your help.

Attended my first Roll Call/Meet and Great in Feb 2018 and I can't praise it enough. Amazing people on CruiseCritic.

This is what I found (and a quick google search would have found you the same thing):

It looks like the visa is not required. With that said, the airline or cruiseline can choose to prevent you from boarding, so that's probably a gamble that is more expensive than the $75 per person visa fee.

http://visaservicescanada.ca/countries/cuba.php

CUBA

The Republic of Cuba

Do I Need a Visa to Visit Cuba?

Canadian citizens travelling on a Canadian passport do not need a visa to enter Cuba for tourism purposes for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days.

Canadian citizens travelling on a Canadian passport need a visa to enter Cuba for business purposes.

Holders of Canadian Permanent Residency status (e.g. Canadian Landed Immigrants) with a current and valid PR card and a current and valid passport do not require a visa to visit Cuba as tourists for less than 30 days. You must produce a valid passport and valid Permanent Residence Card as proof of permanent residency.

PERMANENT RESIDENTS who are in doubt about the Cuban policy of visa-free travel should CONTACT THEIR AIRLINE for further details.

CLICK HERE for BUSINESS VISA APPLICATION for CUBA

NOTE TO U.S.A. CITIZENS: Persons travelling on a US passport do not require a visa to enter Cuba for tourism purposes for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days. Cuba welcomes US tourists. Cuban immigration officials do not stamp passports, so there is no record of entry to or exit from Cuba recorded in the passport. US law forbids US citizens to freely travel to Cuba and to spend any money.

NOTE TO PERSONS BORN IN CUBA: Cubans who are now nationals of another country, but left Cuba after 1970, must enter Cuba using their Cuban passport.

For more information about travel conditions in the Caribbean, please visit the Foreign Affairs Web site.

Thank you everyone for your posting. I appreciate it. I'm going to try the Cuban embassy to obtain the VISA/tourist card. Unfortunately I think they are busy right now as Canadian families are leaving our Canadian embassy due to illness.

• 3 months later...
NOTE TO U.S.A. CITIZENS: Persons travelling on a US passport do not require a visa to enter Cuba for tourism purposes for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days. Cuba welcomes US tourists. Cuban immigration officials do not stamp passports, so there is no record of entry to or exit from Cuba recorded in the passport. US law forbids US citizens to freely travel to Cuba and to spend any money.

This may be a recent change. When we sailed to Cuba in 2017, RCCL charged everyone $75 for a visa to enter the country. It would be nice to not have to pay it again.

Not just NCL, but I went through all the major cruise line's website and none of them have specific wording regarding Canadian passport holder. From what I gather, you're going in via US and not Canada, so you're going to need a Visa. However, that is taken care of by the cruise line so you don't have to go to the embassy to get one.

Hi Sue, just wondering about the tourist card, as we are also Canadians flying into Miami to board ncl to cuba. were you able to get one in Canada or had to pay the $75?

I did research this and contacted the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa. They do not issue the Tourist/Visa cards. She suggested I could try when I get to Miami as local stores sell them. I am somewhat unsure about doing that so I decided to let NCL do it for us. It cost us $100.00 Canadian each. Ouch eh. If we were travelling as a package deal say with Sunwing, that is taken care of by them.

It would be great to meet up with you - we are from outside Ottawa.

I did research this and contacted the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa. They do not issue the Tourist/Visa cards. She suggested I could try when I get to Miami as local stores sell them. I am somewhat unsure about doing that so I decided to let NCL do it for us. It cost us $100.00 Canadian each. Ouch eh. If we were travelling as a package deal say with Sunwing, that is taken care of by them.

It would be great to meet up with you - we are from outside Ottawa.

Sue, we had the same questions. My husband called NCL this week and they handled it for a charge of USD $75 per person. They said they will have the two-part document waiting for us when we board the ship.

• 4 months later...

Just checked.  Canadians don't need the tourist card but because you are going on a US cruise ship you must follow US rules and therefore must pay the $75. Apparently Canadian airlines cover this cost and it only costs $20.