Tears from Haven

shaun07

Yes! Another whiny Haven thread!

I have cruised in the haven about ten times. I feel after my last cruise that it no longer delivers like it used to. While its still a nice place, with great suites and a great restaurant. it has lost a lot of what made it great. Yes a lot of these things are minor things but they add up.

Firstly, the kids!. Its been covered on CC numerous times. I think Kids should totally get to be kids in the Haven. I also think adult should be able to enjoy some peace. So maybe some quiet hours or adult only hours is the solution.

The prices have practically doubled while what you get for that money has decreased. I think when I pays $12,000 for a suite giving me 1 bottle of free water is just a joke. It just feels cheap. Give me no water or free water, or charge me $12100 and give me unlimited water.

They charge $500 for internet for 2 people for 7 days and it doesn't even work in your suite or on the Haven sundeck. When the Internet does work it is beyond poor compared to their competitors some of who include it when buying a suite.

The concierge is pretty much useless, you can make all your reservations online or on the app. He was never at his desk. The assistants that were there are very nice but even more useless. I asked them to change 2 reservations, which they did, but never canceled the original ones which caused lots of confusion for the restaurant managers.Speaking of restaurants it might be nice if they would keep some nice table for haven guests. One manager did this and it was very nice. I also asked the "concierge team" if they could see if the spa had any openings. It was very last minute so I figured maybe this is what the concierge is for. I figured he must have some pull or clout. Nope. So I went to the spa myself and they fit me in. I will say the priority disembarkation is great but every line offers that.

As far at the Butler goes I am sure some people love it and have great use for them but as far as I am concerned all they do is maintain the coffee machine and leave some old looking sandwiches in the room once a day. I think Royal has the right idea with their genies. Ncl should remove the concierge from the haven and let him be the loyalty program concierge. Let the butlers be the concierge for the suites they have. Then when they come to add water to the coffee machine you tell them what you want to do that day and they make it happen.

If you have not tried the Haven I encourage you to do so and decide for yourself as it can be amazing. If you have tried the Haven it might be time to try other lines and see if your money is better spent there. I will be.

I have a suspicion that MSC has hired children to work undercover as Haven guests and are paid based on the amount of commotion that they cause.:D

Seriously, NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club have been excellent for me and my family. If I couldn't cruise in a suite, I'd rather sail NCL than MSC, however. On MSC, I wouldn't sail if "below" Aurea.

Back to the Haven, I believe that NCL should make it clear that although children are welcome, there are behavioral standards.

I enjoy both the butler and the concierge in the Haven. Having read from other CC members, it's clear that some Haven staff members are better than others.

To the OP and to anyone else who has had a less than special experience in the Haven, I highly recommend the MSC Yacht Club. There are differences but the ship within a ship concepts are more alike as far as what they offer....plus the Yacht Club is less expensive.

What ship were you on? Who was your concierge? Who was your butler? I think those answers may explain your disappointment?

Escape, David.... Sadly I couldn't even find him never mind escape him:p

I

To the OP and to anyone else who has had a less than special experience in the Haven, I highly recommend the MSC Yacht Club. There are differences but the ship within a ship concepts are more alike as far as what they offer....plus the Yacht Club is less expensive.

I just canceled my next ncl cruise and I am booked on a MSC. Glad you enjoyed it.

If you have not tried the Haven I encourage you to do so and decide for yourself as it can be amazing. If you have tried the Haven it might be time to try other lines and see if your money is better spent there. I will be.

I think my money is better spent getting a mini suite for 3 cruises compared to the Haven for one cruise for the same price;)

we only sail haven/suite when we get a very good deal. i personally would not pay $12K for one week but that's just me. But $5K for one week, sure. we enjoy the perks. looking forward to our first "real" haven experience on Getaway this fall. Our last Haven experience was on GEm, and it was great, but we of course didnt have the bar and restaurant area.

But how does the MSC line compare with NCL re entertainment? That's what led me to NCL this time over Celebrity.

Agreed. The lacking entertainment on Celebrity has pushed me to NCL as well. Am interested in the MSC comparison as there are still many, many things I love about Celebrity and remain unsure of on NCL. I have an H5 on Breakaway in November. We will see, I guess.

As recently as three years ago, I feel like I got so much more for my money on NCL. That said, we pay less for a Haven suite on NCL than we did for adjoining balconies on DCL, and the Haven includes a ton of things that Disney's balconies don't come with. Tried RCCL and my husband hated it so much he let the huge future credit they gave us expire!

When the Haven met the mega ship things did change. The Haven was a very limited area. With the mega ships there are more cabins than ever. This may sound crazy but my first suite experience on Sky was my favorite suite experience and that ship has no Haven. Go figure. It was my favorite because of the personal service I got to experience. IMHO the mega ship and mass marketing of the Haven definitely has changed the experience for some. I think Epic has an amazing Haven area and worth the extra money. On Getaway I would say the experience is not worth it. I am booked Encore in the Haven but mostly because there are 5 of us sailing and it just made sense to keep everyone together. With the expansion of the Haven area, I look forward to see how it stacks up. It all depends on who the concierge is too. Some are excellent while others just average. The price is outrageous but the Haven sells out almost every ship.

A few oddities I find ironic. The deluxe owners suite can cost $20k on some ships but they don't even let you have a spa pass. For that price you should be able to shower with the captain if you wanted to. I do think NCL could add a few tiny perks that could really enhance the Haven experience. Bottled water would be nice and such a minor perk. I also think drinks could be free or buy one get one in the Haven lounge. Small perks like that are on other lines. I think they could really make the Suite life better on NCL.

Edited by david_sobe

I have a suspicion that MSC has hired children to work undercover as Haven guests and are paid based on the amount of commotion that they cause.:D

Seriously, NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club have been excellent for me and my family. If I couldn't cruise in a suite, I'd rather sail NCL than MSC, however. On MSC, I wouldn't sail if "below" Aurea.

Back to the Haven, I believe that NCL should make it clear that although children are welcome, there are behavioral standards.

I enjoy both the butler and the concierge in the Haven. Having read from other CC members, it's clear that some Haven staff members are better than others.

Last minute reservation changes issues handled efficiently, anything asked about or needed was taken care of, for us a nice cruise. I agree this original post looks familiar but then sometimes there are several that read about the same on here. :D;)

Yet another NCL Haven couple and friends switching to MSC YC (booked May 2018) Not giving up on NCL though I did have a bad taste in my mouth from a mishandling of our cancellation a few months ago. We have never had an issue within the Haven or in the suites (non-Haven or pretend Haven ships).

Agreed. The lacking entertainment on Celebrity has pushed me to NCL as well. Am interested in the MSC comparison as there are still many, many things I love about Celebrity and remain unsure of on NCL. I have an H5 on Breakaway in November. We will see, I guess.

We have an H5 on the Getaway in August, we'll post our thoughts when we return.

When the Haven met the mega ship things did change. The Haven was a very limited area. With the mega ships there are more cabins than ever. This may sound crazy but my first suite experience on Sky was my favorite suite experience and that ship has no Haven. Go figure. It was my favorite because of the personal service I got to experience. IMHO the mega ship and mass marketing of the Haven definitely has changed the experience for some. I think Epic has an amazing Haven area and worth the extra money. On Getaway I would say the experience is not worth it. I am booked Encore in the Haven but mostly because there are 5 of us sailing and it just made sense to keep everyone together. With the expansion of the Haven area, I look forward to see how it stacks up. It all depends on the concierge is too. Some are excellent while others just average. The price is outrageous but the Haven sells out almost every ship.

A few oddities I find ironic. The deluxe owners suite can cost $20k on some ships but they don't even let you have a spa pass. For that price you should be able to shower with the captain if you wanted to. I do think NCL could add a few tiny perks that could really enhance the Haven experience. Bottled water would be nice and such a minor perk. I also think drinks could be free or buy one get one in the Haven lounge. Small perks like that are on other lines. I think they could really make the Suite life better on NCL.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments. I agree we loved the Epic too! Ok it was the bar folk we loved..lol The DH and I decided to try MSC with our friends and we are sure it will be a highlight for us. Or our favorite line from our friends kidding around is, "and the mini bar is included and they fill it with what you want!". I also agree with you after reading many reviews about the Getaway's Haven so for my DD's birthday cruise will be in a spa balcony which is fine for the two of us. Haven was triple the cost - no kidding.

I am booked Encore in the Haven but mostly because there are 5 of us sailing and it just made sense to keep everyone together. With the expansion of the Haven area, I look forward to see how it stacks up.

One thing in your favor is that Bliss and Encore have 15 fewer suites than Escape plus Bliss and Encore have more "Haven Space" with the observation lounge and the larger Haven (16 and older) sundeck. You'll also have 2 child-free hot-tubs vs just 1 on Escape.

One thing in your favor is that Bliss and Encore have 15 fewer suites than Escape plus Bliss and Encore have more "Haven Space" with the observation lounge and the larger Haven (16 and older) sundeck. You'll also have 2 child-free hot-tubs vs just 1 on Escape.

Yes exactly. NCL never listens to me but this time its almost like they did with expanding the Haven area while having fewer suites. Maybe someday they can create a Haven pool that has ocean views ;)

When the Haven met the mega ship things did change. The Haven was a very limited area. With the mega ships there are more cabins than ever. This may sound crazy but my first suite experience on Sky was my favorite suite experience and that ship has no Haven. Go figure. It was my favorite because of the personal service I got to experience. IMHO the mega ship and mass marketing of the Haven definitely has changed the experience for some. I think Epic has an amazing Haven area and worth the extra money. On Getaway I would say the experience is not worth it. I am booked Encore in the Haven but mostly because there are 5 of us sailing and it just made sense to keep everyone together. With the expansion of the Haven area, I look forward to see how it stacks up. It all depends on who the concierge is too. Some are excellent while others just average. The price is outrageous but the Haven sells out almost every ship.

I agree with a lot of this...especially the spa pass. It really is those small things that really add up.

Even aside from the haven if you pay $150 plus for a massage let us use the thermal suite for a few hours.

But how does the MSC line compare with NCL re entertainment? That's what led me to NCL this time over Celebrity.

I will say the shows and entertainment on the Escape was very good so I am interested to see how MSC stacks up. Anyone have any experience that can chime in?

I will say the shows and entertainment on the Escape was very good so I am interested to see how MSC stacks up. Anyone have any experience that can chime in?

I was on the Divina 3 years ago. At that time the shows were excellent....very professional. There was a "well known (in Italy that is) opera singer.

Hi

Just got back from our first Haven experience. July 1st sailing. Bermuda was amazing!!

We were on the Breakaway last summer with the masses;p And couldn't even stick our big toe into the main pool it was so crowded. Why they have one pool the size of a postage stamp for the amt of passengers is beyond me.

I then decided to convince my husband that maybe we should try the Haven.They have a nice pool and 2 hot tubs. and a beautiful sundeck. But kids playing football in the pool is not my idea of a Haven. There should really be an adults only time during the day and evening as the OP stated.

We booked an H5 with spa privileges that i used maybe once.But that was my fault. it was really nice. I did enjoy the jacuzzi tub in the room.:D

While we enjoyed the experience we will not indulge again.

Totally not worth the double price over a standard balcony cabin..

Don't get me wrong our Butler Cipriano cant be beat. what a gem.He was always around. So pleasant, but David the concierge was useless. And like the OP said he was never at the desk.

The afternoon snacks delivered to the cabin was a nice touch, but we can get that with our status on Royal so that's not a deal breaker. We also get drinks with our level on Royal. The unlimited drink pkg was nice along with the specialty dining. But you get that anyway with your cabin of choice other than the Haven.

The reason we jumped ship (we're diamond + with Royal) we wanted a longer stay in Bermuda:D hear that ROYAL!!!!

We have the Symphony of the Seas ,and Oasis class ship, booked for next July:hearteyes:

Can't wait!!!

Liz:D