Loooong review: The spa on the Pearl

Hi, all. Just got back from a cruise to Alaska on the Pearl and thought I'd type up a review of the spa, in case it helps anyone else who's planning to check it out. This ran longer than I thought it would, so key points are bolded for skimmers!

I opted for the 7-day thermal spa pass. Because I love steam rooms, hot tubs, and the like, I thought I'd take advantage of the spa much more often than I did. I ended up going only twice. That's not NCL's fault; excursion days tired me out more than I expected, and my kids spent less time in the clubs than I'd thought. But it didn't end up being a good deal for me, so I'd encourage anyone else to be conservative in your estimate of how much use you'd really get out of a pass.

While the spa provides robes and towels, they don't furnish slippers of any kind. You can decide how much this turns you off, of course; I didn't like it because it meant that people were using their own flip-flops in wet areas, quite probably the same ones they'd been wearing all over the ship, on excursions, on the street, et cetera. Not super-hygienic, in my opinion.

And unlike every other spa I've ever been to -- what can I say? I have a habit -- the spa on the Pearl provided nothing extra in the way of personal care products. Usually you can count on nice lotion being available to slather on after a sauna, or good shampoo and conditioner in the showers, or even things like combs or styling products for post-treatment grooming. Not here; there's only the same shampoo and body wash you get in the basic-level staterooms. Underwhelming.

So that was two days. On another day, I did a salt scrub treatment. Can I just say I hated it? Fine: I hated it. I mean, I didn't much care for the massage therapist's technique, but that's not the main reason; it was the endless hard-driving up-sell that pissed me off. What they tried to sell:

1. Products. And that was expected: Of course they're going to try that. Like I said, I go to spas and I know how it's generally done. But this was truly over the top, with the therapist trying to convince me I needed a full range of products that would "release toxins," going so far as to draw dire-looking pictures of my poor poisoned tissues. I should have stopped her long before I did. It ate up easily 10 minutes of my 75-minute treatment time. I should have stopped her much, much sooner than I did. My advice? Start your session by saying, "I'm not going to buy any products." ("...And spare me that unscientific 'toxin' crap.")

2. Extra services. After offering unsolicited opinions about the rosacea on my face, my therapist tried to hustle me in to see "the doctor," whoever that was, "...if he has time right now for a consultation." (Pretty sure if I'd said yes, he'd have somehow found the time.) Not, I should stress, that I'm ill, or in any pain, or in search of medical advice. I went in for a salt scrub, not a liver transplant. Or, for that matter, a facial.

3. Even extra-er services. I thought I'd finally made it clear to the therapist that I wasn't buying anything more, but apparently not, because when she passed me off to the receptionist at the end of my treatment (with an attitude that suggested that I'd been wasting her time), the receptionist told me, "...And your therapist has recommended that you have a footprint/posture analysis." This would have come from the two enterprising dudes who'd been all over the ship hawking the same offer, now conveniently set up in the spa. I could almost accept the hard sell on the products related to the treatment I was actually having -- scrubs and lotions and such -- but this was too much.

Beyond that, I didn't care for the fact that purchasing spa services doesn't also get you access to the thermal spa for the day -- again, unlike any other facility I've ever patronized. I had a pass, so I did go back in after treatment, but before she knew I was cleared for entry, the receptionist made it clear that access was not included.

Overall, it was a fairly negative experience. I wouldn't buy a pass again, nor would I return for a treatment. I don't think it's in any way comparable to other terrestrial spas I've visited, and not equal to other Mandara-branded facilities, either. However, I do want to flag some positives, because there were a few:

1. If you can ignore the shoe issue, the place was very clean. Nice job by the staff keeping it that way.

2. The view from the steam room and the loungers in the ladies' area is magnificent. ...I mean, it's Alaska.

3. The spa provided a fairly quiet place to escape for a little while from other crowded parts of the ship.

So that's it. My experience didn't ruin my whole cruise -- not by a long shot! -- but I'm sorry I spent money on it. I hope this review is useful to anyone else considering the spa, either so you can make a more informed decision about whether to go for it, or so you can stop your therapist before she really gets going on the hard sell. :)

Thanks for this. My wife and I are considering for our Pearl cruise later this summer. We are mainly getting it because it appears the only hot tubs on the ship are in the main pool area and would like a quieter scene. Did you use the hot tubs at all? Our kids are in college so they won't be joining us...we are already spending enough on them :).

Sorry about your hard sell. I’ve enjoyed the Pearl spa immensely and don’t think I’d sail without a spa pass on the Pearl. I especially love the woman’s sauna overlooking the sea and one of my favorite memories was sitting on the sauna watching a pod of whales bubble feeding. Got pretty hot in there but none of us could leave and miss the incredible action.

I also like the co-ed spa on the Pearl much better than the Jade and jewel spa. The Pearl coed therapy pool has that thing that pounds water on your back.

I actually don’t purchase extra treatments any more. A simple I’m not interested is usually enough to quell the hard selling but I am not interested in risking the need to tell someone over and over that I’m not interested.

I typically can tell them upfront that we’re only doing the passes and they are great about respecting that.

Thanks for this. My wife and I are considering for our Pearl cruise later this summer. We are mainly getting it because it appears the only hot tubs on the ship are in the main pool area and would like a quieter scene. Did you use the hot tubs at all? Our kids are in college so they won't be joining us...we are already spending enough on them :).

So I used the hot tub in the women’s area, but not the co-ed one — that one looked great, though I don’t think it has much of a view, if that matters to you. The women’s one was little bitty, like a bathtub, and not nearly hot enough for my preference. If you get a chance, check the water temp before you commit.

Happy cruise to you and your wife!

Sorry about your hard sell. I’ve enjoyed the Pearl spa immensely and don’t think I’d sail without a spa pass on the Pearl.

Nice that there’s something for everyone, right? I loved that about our cruise, with family members ranging from age 9 to 74, and of all different interests.

I actually don’t purchase extra treatments any more. A simple I’m not interested is usually enough to quell the hard selling but I am not interested in risking the need to tell someone over and over that I’m not interested.

But how will you know if you need detoxification, urgent dermatological care, or brand-new orthotics? :)

Same hard sell on every NCL ship. Most people get a treatment to relax and unwind and the hard sell nickel and dime tactics ruin the experience.

It's for your convenience...........

The spas on cruise ships are not owned by the cruise lines, they make the majority of profits by selling products and extra services. All one has to do is indicate they don’t want a sales pitch on the form they have you fill out.

The spas on cruise ships are not owned by the cruise lines, they make the majority of profits by selling products and extra services. All one has to do is indicate they don’t want a sales pitch on the form they have you fill out.

I think the OP verbally told the therapist that she was not interested in any other products or services. If this explicit declaration doesn't do the trick, I find it hard to believe that checking a box on a form will matter much.

CM

I think the OP verbally told the therapist that she was not interested in any other products or services. If this explicit declaration doesn't do the trick, I find it hard to believe that checking a box on a form will matter much.

CM

The OP indicated that she held her tongue far too long, it seems like after she finally said something, the only thing that was recommended was the posture thing on the way out by the receptionist (I’m guessing she suggests it to everyone). I’ve seen many reviews that say that writing no sales on the form works well.