Do you book excursions thru HAL?

Beachfrog

Who do you book excursions with?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you book excursions with?

• EXC tours
    • Outside groups

We haven't done a ship's tour since our first cruise. I prefer to either explore on our own or hire a local guide who will work with us to create a tour that only includes places of interest to us. Most times it is just my husband and me but sometimes we connect with others on our roll call.

We do both depending on where we are and how long in port. For private ones I research and/or join the roll call and some times we get a group together for the private ones.

Some times the ship excursions have too many people compared to private ones. Cost is a factor as well usually private ones are less expensive and less people.

It’s your comfort level though that will probably determine which you want to do. We are always aware to be back on the ship in lots of time before it sails-if you’re late they don’t wait unless it’s a ship excursion.

We almost always book independently, as we have found that we can get a better tour for less money. That applies to other cruise lines too, not just HAL. We certainly consider HAL's offering for each cruise, but usually end up booking elsewhere. It takes more time and effort to do the research, but that's something that I enjoy doing. For those lacking the time or inclination to research and book independent tours, ship's excursions offer an easy alternative, albeit at a premium price.

We've only ever booked through HAL for a couple of reasons: 1) We assume that HAL has vetted the tour operator (or is a silent partner with the tour operator) and has a vested interest in the quality of the offering; 2) ease of figuring out tour options and 3) knowing that the tour operator will more than likely have you back to the ship in time to make departure. That said we've had some lack luster shore excursions but honestly, for me it's about being out on the water (many of our so-called "shore" excursions have us getting back on a boat).

95% I book independent tours. This website "port of call", TripAdvisor, and a travel group I'm in have a ton of great info on local tours. They are often cheaper, smaller groups or I'm the only person. With the exception of one,all were excellent.

Now there have been times when I will book a HAL tour. Sometimes, like on HMC the tours there are only HAL :D. Other times the logistics of doing independent is not viable or certain areas and events are for the cruiseline. I also will do if a long distance from port to a rather remote area.

Most of our tours have been private tours and we've been very happy with them. A smaller group in vehicles that can go places the tour buses cannot. The tour operators are more flexible with times and places. They are also well aware of what bad reviews on this site and others can do to their business.

One ship tour we did out of Malaga to the Alhambra was fine except that the tour guide wanted to leave before my DW and I were back on the bus. Had it not been for friends onboard we would have be stuck there. And in Granada the guide wanted to take people to the (tourist?) shopping area. We decided to stay close to the bus and had a wonderful meal in a beautiful little restaurant, 'Kiosko Las Titas'. The people who did the shopping thing wished they'd joined us.

Some ship tours were fine, others not so much.

Edited by ZN1300
spelling

When at all possible, we prefer to DIY (meaning really DIY-- rent a car, public transportation, etc.) We've done this all over the world and our best memories are the times we were really on our own with our own schedule, nobody to answer to other than get back to the ship on time. It takes research, but that's half the fun of it.

Respectfully, while the discussion in the comments is helpful, I'm not sure how meaningful the poll itself is, as it's limited to an either-or choice. I suspect many folks do what we do -- a range of things: ship's tours, private tours, DIY -- depending on the port, the departure time, the options available, where the next port is, etc. For us (and judging from the few replies already, I think for many folks as well), it's not an either-or choice, as in "we only do ship's tours" or "we only do private tours," which is what the poll is limited to and why I couldn't "vote."

In terms of ship's tours: we only do them when there really isn't another good option (either privately or on our own), or when missing the ship is just not an "option," i.e., the last port in Europe before a westbound crossing of the Atlantic.

For us, the main downsides of a ship's tour are: a big-bus group that can't get around as quickly and pours 40-50 people onto a site (and the fact that you often wait for people to come back to the bus because they ignored the return time), and the likelihood that the guide will not be as good as someone who is working for a private tour operator where there is more accountability.

It really depends on the port. If we are familiar with it, or it is in the US, we often do our own tour. Otherwise, we stay with HAL tours.

Several reasons for the HAL tours - we get to use OBC, we earn Mariner Days, and we trust HAL to take care of us if something happens (we have had the ship held for us). Of course, it is a bit more expensive, but even this seems to vary by port.

We do 95% through the cruise line.

Basically, only one independent has passed my "deal breaker" question. Will you get us to the next port? One independent told us that his boss told them if they cause the passenger to miss the ship, the cost to get them to the next ship comes out of their own pocket.

We've taken a few independent tours, and it's too stressful wondering if we'll make it back to the ship in time.

It really depends on the port. If we are familiar with it, or it is in the US, we often do our own tour. Otherwise, we stay with HAL tours.

Several reasons for the HAL tours - we get to use OBC, we earn Mariner Days, and we trust HAL to take care of us if something happens (we have had the ship held for us). Of course, it is a bit more expensive, but even this seems to vary by port.

I agree! We have had outstanding HAL tours all over the world. The "loading/unloading of the bus" complaint from many as a reason to book private tours, in my opinion is not a valid reason. We have never felt hindered or wasted time. I feel more comfortable booking with HAL. In Cornerbrook, Newfoundland the Eurodam waited for our all day HAL tour when we were caught in heavy traffic. Glad we were with HAL!

I did book a private guide for 2 days in Lima, Peru when the ship was in port 3 days, and was very pleased, as the ship tours didn't go where I wanted to.

Karen

I agree with many that there is no "one choice is best" answer. People have different comfort levels, different mobility levels, different interest levels, etc.

I travel for the ports, not for the experience of cruising, so what I do ashore is hugely important to me. As a result, I do a ton of research, take extensive notes and make detailed plans. If possible I prefer to do things on my own using public transportation. Occasionally there are places where it is only possible to see something/get somewhere with a private tour, and in those cases I'll join one or arrange for one. Sometimes my interests are so specific that I have a private tour for one. (:o).

Although I'm a solo female, I'm a pretty confident traveler. I've never come close to getting left behind at a port, but I also realize that someday events may conspire to put me at risk and I always have thought about my 'Plan B'.

Now having said all that, I realize that a lot of folks don't share my passion for planning and DIY. That's fine. Others, like my elderly parents, like ship tours because they feel safe and often can pick one that's not too strenuous.

Unfortunately, I've had my share of ship tours that have been 'stinkers' for one reason or another. I avoid them on any of the mass market lines due to the lengthy shopping stops that are included, the fact that people cannot manage to stick to a schedule (meaning that I likely won't get full promised time at one or several stops), and the relatively mediocre guides I've experienced.

We do both depending on where we are and how long in port. For private ones I research and/or join the roll call and some times we get a group together for the private ones.

Some times the ship excursions have too many people compared to private ones. Cost is a factor as well usually private ones are less expensive and less people.

It’s your comfort level though that will probably determine which you want to do. We are always aware to be back on the ship in lots of time before it sails-if you’re late they don’t wait unless it’s a ship excursion.

Everything said here..

Also in a few places, I've gone with the ships tour, because I could not find a private tour for that port that interested me.

For private tours, the roll call is your best friend.

Lots of interesting thoughts and experiences on this thread.

As for us, we favour private tours or DIY. We do HAL tours though and have done them in the past. Our experience has been very mixed to say the least. I recognize part of the problem is that we have done private tours and generally speaking, the experience is night and day. There are times when HAL tours make more sense but, overall, I am willing to do the research and work to either explore on our own or with a guide.

I do prefer smaller group tours which private tours give you, the quality of the experience, the flexibility that they allow and the lack of "herding", needing to wear a sticker, long waits for rest stops, etc.

There is no right answer for everyone. The most important thing is that a person does what is right for THEM.

I can't stand ships excursions. I hate being crammed into a bus with so many other people, and being forced to follow a set schedule. I'm with the others who prefer to book independent tours or hire a local guide/taxi to take us around. It's usually cheaper, more personal and the experience is usually 1000% better.

No, never. Not on any cruise line. Once was enough.

Not because of price, rather our perception of quality PLUS we prefer to have our money stay with local, independent tour operators-commercial or individuals.

Not interested in bus load of fellow passengers, don't want to stop for trash and trinkets, not interest in waiting for an extra 15 minutes somewhere because someone could not find the WC, lost track of time, lost their spouse, or because they were looking for some cheesy souvenir/future garage sale item.

We often spend the same or more with a private tour. But we get to go where we want to go, we get personalized service, and we generally get to popular tourist spots just ahead or just after the cruise ship tour buses have come or gone. Works for us, though not for everyone.

Edited by iancal

There is no right answer for everyone. The most important thing is that a person does what is right for THEM.

Exactly right. There is no one fit for all in touring.

While I prefer private or DIY, if a ships tour has exactly what I want and is priced out at something I find acceptable, then I'll do it.

I agree that usually private tours are smaller than ship excursions. But we were on a private tour arranged by our roll call where some were put in a small van and the rest of us were put on a bus. Same price for all of us, totally different experiences. We had planned on renting a car that day, now I really wish we had stuck with our original plan.

I have also been on private tours when someone took too long shopping, or got lost (like in the Hermitage). The differences aren’t always so black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done and still do every kind of shore day. We rent cars ourselves, book private guides, do small group tours, do Hop-on-hop-off tours, and do ships tours -- just depending on time available and what seems best for the area. We've had fabulous days and lousy days with each and every option. You just never really know. Sometimes, in areas with limited tourist resources, the ships may have most of the best guides and attractions booked up. That's always something to consider. We research and decide what is possible and is most appealing. Open mind!