What documentation for HC cabin on Princess?

suzyed

Can anyone tell me what documentation you need to get a handicapped cabin on Princess ships?

I always book through the cruise line directly. We cruised Princess a couple of years ago and I checked my old paperwork. After I booked the cabin, they send a mobility questionnaire. My sister uses a mobility scooter so they ask about ownership, dimensions, etc. Basic questions - can you go up and down one or two stairs (for motor coaches, etc.), are you bringing any other equipment. Notice about possible tender situations.

When booking with my Princess agent I had to declare my disability as in I had to agree I am disabled and need the room(done to prevent people booking the room when they didn’t actually have a disability). Once I had paid for the cruise I was asked to self declare my disability on a Princess form. No medical personnel were required to fill it out. Basically they needed to know the nature of my disability and what medical equipment I was bringing. If my memory is correct in some circumstances you need to have a certificate identifying your fitness to travel. I didn’t need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my knowledge, all cruise lines have a SRI form (Special Requirements Information) to be filled out. If you use a TA, they should automatically forward a copy to you. If not, ask for one. As far as documentation, the cruise line does not require anything other than the SRI form. If you are flying, the airlines may ask for documentation if you are transportation oxygen.

For my own use, I do travel with complete medical information. I have a letter signed by my doctor and a complete list of my medications. My doctor up-dates the letter every year. I was involved in a serious accident and this info was very helpful.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

So no real proof...just by filling out the form and saying you need it?

That is correct. Just as you need no proof to show that you need to use the handicapped stall in a public restroom or a wheelchair or scooter at your local big box store.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i will be cruising with princess again in September I only needed to confirm my need for an acessable cabin online and by phone to a princess representative and explain my needs and i was sent a mobility questionaire to fill in and had to be returned 90 days before cruise ,i have in my cruise personnalizer what my needs are and this is handy for future cruises ,if during the cruise they find that youre in fact not eligible to be in the cabin they can remove you apparently ,hope that helps

Hi i will be cruising with princess again in September I only needed to confirm my need for an acessable cabin online and by phone to a princess representative and explain my needs and i was sent a mobility questionaire to fill in and had to be returned 90 days before cruise ,i have in my cruise personnalizer what my needs are and this is handy for future cruises ,if during the cruise they find that youre in fact not eligible to be in the cabin they can remove you apparently ,hope that helps

What would make you inelegible? If you don't have a scooter or a wheelchair?

I'm not sure what you mean ,i mean if your in a full accessible cabin you need to be using some sort of mobility device I'm assuming ,i dont need to use my mobility scooter full time but most of the time and i also use a walking aid ,but I guess it would also depend on your disability and do you need the facilities that are in these cabins , don't know the answer to that really you'd have to ask princess cruises

ps-i know in the mobility questionaire they ask you about what mobility device or devices you'll be bringing and when I spoke to a princess representative he had a sheet of questions of your needs to see if your legible

Edited by Deb.b

I think they want to gather information about what your needs are and to assess if you really need an accessible cabin or if a modified cabin would work. Does the person need the grab bars, or the roll in shower? There are some people who can't cruise if they don't have an accessible cabin, so this helps verify the need.

I'm not sure what you mean ,i mean if your in a full accessible cabin you need to be using some sort of mobility device I'm assuming ,i dont need to use my mobility scooter full time but most of the time and i also use a walking aid ,but I guess it would also depend on your disability and do you need the facilities that are in these cabins , don't know the answer to that really you'd have to ask princess cruises

ps-i know in the mobility questionaire they ask you about what mobility device or devices you'll be bringing and when I spoke to a princess representative he had a sheet of questions of your needs to see if your legible

I am aware that not all handicapped people have a condition that is apparent. But I just wondered if you don't need the "full accessible cabin" (roll in shower, wider doors, lower sink and drawers) because you don't have a scooter or wheelchair, what other reason would you need for the HC cabin.

I am aware that not all handicapped people have a condition that is apparent. But I just wondered if you don't need the "full accessible cabin" (roll in shower, wider doors, lower sink and drawers) because you don't have a scooter or wheelchair, what other reason would you need for the HC cabin.

Some of the cruise lines do offer applicable or more specific needs depending on the individual's specific condition. i.e., a blind person or deaf person does not necessarily require the additional space. Thus the cruise line provides their specific needs in a standard cabin. Basically, the larger cabins were specifically designed for the minimum turn-around space required for a standard wheelchair and elimination of any steps. Most disabled utilized what is applicable for their specific condition.

Unfortunately, there are able bodied that like the additional space, thus attempt to book the accessible cabins without a need. Since many prefer to keep their medical conditions private, the cruise lines cannot ask for proof of a person's need. Personally, I would rather the cruise line know what my problems are in case of an emergency.

Betty