Norway

Chippet

Hello

Looking at booking a Fjords cruise with my husband, who uses an electric wheelchair. I've looked into them extensively so far and deducted Ines from my list of 'potentials' for Tender ports.

Wanting information regarding the following ports, for their accessibility and 'things to do' that my husband can enjoy (we don't really want to do the organised tours).

Stavanger

Flam

Alesund

Bergen

Olden

Thanks!

On your list, I've only been to Alesund, Bergen and Stavanger. None were tender ports.

Alesund: There is a hoho bus that is accessible. Sunnmøre Museum has limited accessibility as far as getting into the buildings. Regardless, it is worth a visit. Aksla View Point / Fjellstua is spectacular; absolute must stop. Then we went to the Ålesund Church. From the Church, we scooted to the The Art Nouveau Centre and then back to the ship. A couple places, we had to look for the cutouts (access) to the sidewalks. Overall, it was an easy trip.

Bergen is within walking distance (approximately 3/4 mile to center of town). There was a shuttle bus offered. Do not know if it was accessible or not. We just scooted into town and headed to the Fløibanen first. I had pre-purchased our tickets on line, thus avoided the long line accessing the Funicular,

Stavanger: We booked a boat tour "Fjord cruise Lysefjord & Pulpit Rock". Definitely worth a trip. Easy trip from cruise ship to the boat. Booked the morning cruise, thus allowing the afternoon for wandering around town.

Geiranger is a tender port in case you consider it. Our ship was assigned the "sea walk", thus we did not have to tender. We also booked a fjord cruise in Geiranger. There is not much to see in town. If you check the "port authority" they indicate which ship is assigned the sea walk on any given day.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 1 year later...
On your list, I've only been to Alesund, Bergen and Stavanger. None were tender ports.

Stavanger: We booked a boat tour "Fjord cruise Lysefjord & Pulpit Rock". Definitely worth a trip. Easy trip from cruise ship to the boat. Booked the morning cruise, thus allowing the afternoon for wandering around town.

Betty

Hi Betty, When you wandered around in Stavanger did you include the Old Town area with the white houses? I am traveling with a family member that will have a mobility scooter or wheel chair to use but I read that there is a steep hill to climb to reach the wooden houses. Thank you.

In Stavanger, we were there on their Independence or Constitution day (Independence from Denmark). After the boat tour we mainly wandered around town watching the parade and taking pictures of all the beautiful costumes everyone was wearing. It was very crowded in town that afternoon. I think all the locals were out celebrating. We did not even make it to the large park where there was more celebrating.

I believe you are referring to Gamle Stavanger. That is on the west side of the port and we were only in about a block from the port on that side. Really did not venture up the hill. If you go to Google maps and do a right click on the street, that will show you a street view of the area.

On the east side of the port, we did venture up a couple blocks up the hillside and went a bit into the small park, however we had to take a street back down. Believe there are steps on the down side paths of the park. Followed the road back to center of town and went into a few of the stores. Most were rather pricey but I did get a few things.

Noticed that you are from Arlington. I was stationed in DC and lived on the base in Arlington, just a couple blocks from the Pentagon.

Betty

In Stavanger, we were there on their Independence or Constitution day (Independence from Denmark). After the boat tour we mainly wandered around town watching the parade and taking pictures of all the beautiful costumes everyone was wearing. It was very crowded in town that afternoon. I think all the locals were out celebrating. We did not even make it to the large park where there was more celebrating.

I believe you are referring to Gamle Stavanger. That is on the west side of the port and we were only in about a block from the port on that side. Really did not venture up the hill. If you go to Google maps and do a right click on the street, that will show you a street view of the area.

On the east side of the port, we did venture up a couple blocks up the hillside and went a bit into the small park, however we had to take a street back down. Believe there are steps on the down side paths of the park. Followed the road back to center of town and went into a few of the stores. Most were rather pricey but I did get a few things.

Noticed that you are from Arlington. I was stationed in DC and lived on the base in Arlington, just a couple blocks from the Pentagon.

Betty

Thank you for your quick response. I will check the map. I am less than a 10 minute walk from Fort Meyer.....small world:)

In Stavanger we booked the Pulpit Rock cruise direct with Rodne.no the same company that runs the ship excursions. As a disabled person no charge for my partner.

In Flam we did the Flam railway. We booked at the station, but probably best to book online.

In Alesund we did HOHo bus.

In Olden we booked Briksdal Glacier and Troll trolley directly online.

In Bergen we did HOHO as it was raining so much.

Norway is very disabled friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might also want to consider Hurtigruten instead of a traditional cruise ship. No tender ports at all, and the newer ships have wheelchair accessible cabins, and a porch lift at the gangway. They go from Bergen all the way up the coast to Kirkenes (and back) but do not go to Stavanger, Flam, or Olden, but there are many other ports they do go to that the traditional cruise ships don't do, including going in/out of the narrow Trollfjord.

I enjoyed just walking around Alesund and looking at the beautiful architecture. In Trondheim you can get to the cathedral by walking, and also to the Arctic Cathedral by walking in Tromso.

Flaam is not a tender port, but if you want to go on the train (what else is there?) you need to book fast. We borrowed a pusher chair from the ship so that I could lift it onto the train, but I have read where a ramp has been provided. A lot might depend on how mobile your DH is - my DW can walk short distances so that makes it easier.

Flaam is not a tender port, but if you want to go on the train (what else is there?) you need to book fast. We borrowed a pusher chair from the ship so that I could lift it onto the train, but I have read where a ramp has been provided. A lot might depend on how mobile your DH is - my DW can walk short distances so that makes it easier.

When we went on the railway the guard pushed me up a ramp and put me in a disabled reserved space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flam can be a tender port depending how many ships are there that day! Only 1 ship can dock the otherrs tender.

• 3 weeks later...
Flam can be a tender port depending how many ships are there that day! Only 1 ship can dock the otherrs tender.

When docked at Flam, the town centre is about a 2min walk from the bottom of the gangplank.