Dress Code for Pre-teen boys in the MDR

I really hate these debates. Someone is right and someone is wrong. My understanding of the definition of the word suggestion is that it is not something that can be enforced? So is it a suggestion or is it a rule (which can be enforced)? I don't see how anyone can say it is a suggestion that is rarely enforced--it can never be enforced if it is just a suggestion. It seems to me if I read the link from two posts above these are only suggestions and the only rules (per the bottom of that link)are no tank tops and no barefeet.

These debates are entirely because of RCI’s consistent inconsistency. We’d all be much better off if they either (1) abandoned formal night altogether and went with “anything goes,” or (2) established a set of actual rules and enforced them.

The current practice of “vague suggestions that are generally not enforced but sometimes randomly might be” is pretty silly and creates unnecessary guest stress. I mean, there are literally multiple dress code threads every day on this board and none of them can be answered better than “you’ll probably be fine, unless someone on this ship decides to enforce the suggestions”

For me when buying slacks/pants, I need to try them on as brands can vary on how they fit. I can buy blouses online but not slacks or jeans

I'll sometimes order a few pairs and return the ones that don't fit. Amazon is great about returns.

First, let me say I am not wanting to start a debate, I have an honest question. My 12 year old son has had a huge growth spurt and I can't find pants for him to wear on our cruise. For reference he is 5'8 and 110 pounds with a 33 inch inseam. Is it appropriate for non-formal nights for him to wear nice khaki shorts with a collared type polo shirt? I am well aware of the debate on shorts in the MDR, but what about for children? What is considered appropriate for kids to wear in the MDR?

Thank you for your help.

if you live in Ohio, i assume you have something long for him to wear - he'd freeze to death wearing shorts all year long...

as most of the posters have said, he'll be fine in shorts in the MDR, but i would still bring at least one pair of long pants with you in addition to the shorts. Doesn't he have a pair of jeans?

First, let me say I am not wanting to start a debate, I have an honest question. My 12 year old son has had a huge growth spurt and I can't find pants for him to wear on our cruise. For reference he is 5'8 and 110 pounds with a 33 inch inseam. Is it appropriate for non-formal nights for him to wear nice khaki shorts with a collared type polo shirt? I am well aware of the debate on shorts in the MDR, but what about for children? What is considered appropriate for kids to wear in the MDR?

Thank you for your help.

Being a parent myself, your question, is common one with today's society. The question, as a big picture, asks if kids, of any age should be treated or expected to follow the same rules as adults. The answer never changed, just the excuse made for not teaching kids proper etiquette. Although what you described what he would wear would match others, that are in the minority, you used and described the reasons as him growing. Does he not have a nice pair of jeans? Why even the question? The answer on the boards will always say, most likely you will be fine, because no one else wants to teach the kids to follow a dress code. What you do however, will determine how he feels down the road.

Not looking to prolong the debate that you weren't hoping to start.. :)

The dress code is published by RCL, regardless of whether or not it is enforced.

At some point they may in fact begin to do so, and I'm not sure how far out your cruise is. I wouldn't take the risk by not bring any long pants for him at all.

I would make sure that you bring at least one pair of long pants, imperfectly fitting or otherwise, JUST IN CASE.

I did return, and I read all your responses. I probably won't ever post again based on the responses I received. One poster even asked why I posed the question...let me tell you. RC is very unclear about their dress code. It is hard to find anything concrete and even if you do, it doesn't seem to be enforced. Last year, before his growth spurt, I made sure he had several pairs of long pants and dressed up for dinner every night. In the MDR, every night, there were people in shorts, even some in shorts, flip flops, and ball caps.

Hence the question. I simply asked if the dress code was the same for children. I truly didn't mean to start a debate or be admonished by many. I thank the people that kindly answered and gave suggestions.

Additionally, to let you know, when I tried to order 26x32 pants at two stores that said they had them, they then called or emailed me to say they were out of stock.

I feel your pain, my just turned 11 year old is only a bit shorter and has a much smaller waist. We searched high and low for dress shorts, but the men's sizes are all still too big in the waist. I fortunately, found a skinny fit at old navy that will buy him a few months.

Hard too finding shoes to fit a boy with a skinny man's length foot.

We just sailed Celebrity and my son had no problem wearing shorts to the MDR. the kid had a growth spurt while we were on our cruise, and the few pairs of pants he packed are now in the donate pile.

The risk you run (if you care) is looks from other passengers, because if your son is like my boy, he probably looks a lot older than his age. Even though he wore shorts to the MDR, my son was always respectable with a button down shirt or golf shirt.

I did return, and I read all your responses. I probably won't ever post again based on the responses I received. One poster even asked why I posed the question...let me tell you. RC is very unclear about their dress code. It is hard to find anything concrete and even if you do, it doesn't seem to be enforced. Last year, before his growth spurt, I made sure he had several pairs of long pants and dressed up for dinner every night. In the MDR, every night, there were people in shorts, even some in shorts, flip flops, and ball caps.

Hence the question. I simply asked if the dress code was the same for children. I truly didn't mean to start a debate or be admonished by many. I thank the people that kindly answered and gave suggestions.

Additionally, to let you know, when I tried to order 26x32 pants at two stores that said they had them, they then called or emailed me to say they were out of stock.

Stick around. Just roll with the punches. There is a lot of good info shared on CC by a lot of cruise savvy people.

So because others choose to ignore the suggested attire it is ok for you to as well? My dear Mother always asked me "If your friends are going to jump off a bridge, will you too?" Get him the pants that are closen to his size and a nice belt.

I probably won't ever post again based on the responses I received. One poster even asked why I posed the question...let me tell you.

This site has a "better-than-average" population of posters who are rude, dismissive, judgemental and feel that they are mightier than the casual posters. The good news is, you can simply ignore them and gain lots of valuable insight and information from the nice folks who frequent here.

Seriously, ignore the unhappy folks and enjoy your stay here.

-germ

This site has a "better-than-average" population of posters who are rude, dismissive, judgemental and feel that they are mightier than the casual posters. The good news is, you can simply ignore them and gain lots of valuable insight and information from the nice folks who frequent here.

Seriously, ignore the unhappy folks and enjoy your stay here.

-germ

You are spot on, there is a lot of useful info within the site.

Stay around, you soon learn to sort the wheat from the chaff.

RC is very unclear about their dress code....

Hence the question. I simply asked if the dress code was the same for children.

Yes, the dress code is the same. I'm not aware of anything on the website that indicates that the dress code only applies to certain ages, so I'm not sure what is unclear. That said, the dress code is mainly "suggested dress," not hard and fast rules. As such, staff are reluctant to "enforce" anything, as you've seen on previous cruises. But again- the actual answer to your actual questions is yes, the dress code as stated is the same for children and adults.

once he gets to 28, there will be more selection - at least at 32 inch inseam..

i guess he'll swim in a 28...

does he have anything that's long? i'm not talking about for the MDR....let him wear shorts to the MDR, it will be perfectly fine.

i mean, for other things where he might want to wear something long (ice skating, or whatever)..

does he have sweat pants or that sort of thing?

i'm familiar with the length problem...hubby wears a 36 inch inseam and my son wears 34, but both of them have always been sort of average in the waist so not a problem...

and when my son was young, he never wore anything but sweat pants as i recall so it wasn't an issue..

maybe his pants were short? i don't remember....we don't live in the USA and kids here are much less fussed about clothing, so it never was a problem for him...

How ridiculous can it get around here? Try looking at the threads that discuss table cloths, pepper mills, gratuities, diamond lounge access, people that mention their C&A level etc. etc. etc. Just make sure you have a bag of popcorn handy.

It's the internet. Roll with it. Sort the answers that helped, ignore the rest.

I'll bet you'll learn a lot more about your cruise/itinerary/tips and tricks etc etc here than you'd think, from some truly informative posts/people. Likely it'll contribute greatly to your upcoming vacation, and I hope you have a fantastic one!