Power Strip

I just got off Harmony this week. There is one plug by the bed, three plugs at the desk, plus two USB ports at the desk.

The vast majority of the fleet was designed and built before "this day and age of electronics" that we take for granted these days.

It wasn't all that long ago that most people didn't have a cell phone (and if they did, it was a flip phone). I still use a flip phone. I like it. I pay about $8.50 per month for my phone and it fits very comfortably in my pocket.

Remember when you needed film and batteries for your camera? I still do. Only I don't have to develop the film.

Remember when calculators were a thing that you went to the store and purchased, because you didn't have a cellphone with a calculator app and your landline phone at home certainly didn't have a built-in calculator because it still had a rotary dial? Who needs all of that, I can do the math in my head.

Remember when you needed a boombox, Walkman, or Discman to listen to music on-the-go? MP3 players weren't even a thing until this current century, and certainly not wireless Bluetooth speakers. Take a look inside the speakers - they have wires.

My car is ten years old, and it doesn't have Wi-Fi or USB ports or a backup camera or a GPS screen in the dash -- I'm pretty impressed that it has an Aux In port, to be honest. That was pretty "advanced" ten years ago, when MP3 players were really starting to get popular.

Harmony, a newer ship, does have USB ports and a few electrical outlets above the desk. I would assume the other newer ships will share this design. However, the cost to change out electrical fixtures in thousands of staterooms on dozens of ships would be huge, and I can understand why the company doesn't want to assume that expense when each passenger can just bring whatever chargers they need with them.

I don't even like looking at the Internet on my laptop (my home screen is 25"), which has a bigger screen than any smart phone. I have no need (yet) for a smart phone. If I need access to the Internet, that is what laptops and computers are for.

A flip phone? What's a flip phone?

It is a phone that fits comfortably in your pocket, costs 1/10 of what a smart phone does, can be used to make phone calls, and cannot be butt dialed.

It is a phone that fits comfortably in your pocket, costs 1/10 of what a smart phone does, can be used to make phone calls, and cannot be butt dialed.

And the battery lasts for days and can be replaced by the end user!:)

Thanks, appreciate the info. Maybe the ship being all metal and connected to ground is like it's own Faraday cage. I know that if lightning strikes close enough to my house, it gets into the network cables and power cables and destroys electronics, even when the power is out to the house.

No, the problem is that when lightning strikes near your home, it travels up the ground spike to the ground bus in your breaker panel. The white "neutral" wires for all your circuits are also connected to this ground bus, so the lightning goes up these wires as well, to the outlets and to your electronics. Since the white wire on ships is not connected to ground (that pesky floating ground again), when lightning strikes the ship, it cannot travel back up the wiring to the electronics. Been on several ships that have been hit with lightning, it tends to blow up antennas and antenna couplers, but I've never had any electronic device or system affected by the lightning strike.

On the other hand, my 200 year old house has lightning rods on it, and when struck, or even nearby, not only will electronics be fried, but any exposed copper piping in the house will glow green (it's also a ground point for the breaker box).

A few points. Most ships have 4 plugs. Two are USA and Two are European. My iPhones, iPad, and camera charger all work on either one of those voltages. It costs $0.89 for an simple adapter to change the flat plugs to a round plug. Why in the world does anyone need a power strip? 4 plugs should be enough.

I have a Scooter and a CPAP. The scooter can charge in either 110 or 240, but I still need the $0.89 adapter. (I have a bag of them). I always travel with an extension cord in the CPAP bag. No one has ever taken it.

If I am traveling outside the USA for a cruise, I also have a converter. I never use it on a ship, but it will always be in my luggage. Although I don't need it, sometimes hotels, especial older hotels outside the USA will not have plugs in the room available. So with a wheelchair battery, CPAP, and two phones the need for plugs are greater.

My advise is buy some adapters, and leave the power strip at home.

Found this on Amazon.... Is it too good to be true? It's so hard to believe advertisers, but hoping this would be ok. I definitely don't want to be a rule breaker!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHVKPC3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1Z5JU5NCTQDXZ&psc=1

Curious myself. Hoping someone can give a definitive answer on this one. [emoji16]

Curious myself. Hoping someone can give a definitive answer on this one. [emoji16]

Interesting that I found almost the same product at Home Depot with surge protection, for less money, the only difference being the brand and a small "protected" led on the Home Depot (GE) one.

Can't find anything on this "manufacturer" "Cruiseon", so I can't access any tech data. However, tellingly, when I enlarge the writing on the back of this item, I see it has "VPR 800 volts". VPR (voltage protection rating) is another way of saying "clamping voltage" or "let through" voltage, and is a measure of a surge protector's maximum voltage. At 800 volts, this isn't even a good consumer surge protector, as most good ones are in the 300-400 volt range.

I would say that this myth is busted.

Heck, I can remember when cell phones were "bricks" or "bag phones".
Lol, ahhh those were the Good Ole Days! My Hubs and I both carried a bag phone on our trucks. We needed them to contact a shipper/receiver quite a bit for directions that certainly were NOT on any map, GPS wasn't quite there for land yachts yet. Refers or Dry Vans. Oh boy, Hunts Point in da Bronx NY comes to mind! :D

Of course it was VERY peaceful back then also, the whole world didn't seem to care what you ate for breakfast, or how cute your kids were whilst picking their noses, ect... You used a phone, in whatever style it was, to *communicate* [emoji6]

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

Interesting that I found almost the same product at Home Depot with surge protection, for less money, the only difference being the brand and a small "protected" led on the Home Depot (GE) one.

Can't find anything on this "manufacturer" "Cruiseon", so I can't access any tech data. However, tellingly, when I enlarge the writing on the back of this item, I see it has "VPR 800 volts". VPR (voltage protection rating) is another way of saying "clamping voltage" or "let through" voltage, and is a measure of a surge protector's maximum voltage. At 800 volts, this isn't even a good consumer surge protector, as most good ones are in the 300-400 volt range.

I would say that this myth is busted.

I'll ask this question on Amazon.

I just received this reply to an email from the distributor, Cruise On

Or it could have been a reply to one of the questions I posted on Amazon.

"Thank you for the question. We can assure you that the unit is without surge protection as specified by the cruise lines. The cruise power strip is fully compliant. If the current image shows surge protection, it is incorrect and will be fixed. Thanks!"

I, evidently, had too little to do this morning.

A few points. Most ships have 4 plugs. Two are USA and Two are European. My iPhones, iPad, and camera charger all work on either one of those voltages. It costs $0.89 for an simple adapter to change the flat plugs to a round plug. Why in the world does anyone need a power strip? 4 plugs should be enough.

I have a Scooter and a CPAP. The scooter can charge in either 110 or 240, but I still need the $0.89 adapter. (I have a bag of them). I always travel with an extension cord in the CPAP bag. No one has ever taken it.

If I am traveling outside the USA for a cruise, I also have a converter. I never use it on a ship, but it will always be in my luggage. Although I don't need it, sometimes hotels, especial older hotels outside the USA will not have plugs in the room available. So with a wheelchair battery, CPAP, and two phones the need for plugs are greater.

My advise is buy some adapters, and leave the power strip at home.

What adapters are you using?

Update: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Hi,

Ok, I came back to this thread tonight to find a totally approved (for our Oasis cruise) THE "thing" that will let me plug in my travel fan and on rotation 3 phones & 3 iPads.

For those that will ask about a need for a fan...I'm an 'ol lady and like my environment "freezing" -- my hubby's term . And since I've been using a fan every night for over a decade, I find the noise helps me to sleep. Yeah .... Silence keeps me awake!

HOT & a lack of sleep makes for a grouchy wife too. LOL.

I don't need to know how it works.:rolleyes: Anyone with a photo or brand name & model?? I was hoping to order online this weekend.

Thanks everybody!

:) Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

snip>>>

I don't need to know how it works.:rolleyes: Anyone with a photo or brand name & model?? I was hoping to order online this weekend.

Thanks everybody!

:) Bobbi

I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M32R41/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It converts the Euro outlet into something you can plug 4 usb and one US (or any other) elec device in to. It does not convert voltage but it frees up your US outlets for anything else. You can use it for light duty appliances that use dual voltage such as my laptop. There is no cord so no one will mistake it for a power strip. It is not surge protected. You could use the US outlets for your fan and this for all the USB charging that needs to be done.

Edited by sft429
clarification

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like getting the above gizmo and a few of the below usb extension cables

Monoprice 15-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable (Gold Plated) (105435) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L137Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GousBbFQBVKP2

We should be good to go for charging most of the devices, and I’ll probably toss in one of those orange 1 to 3 adapters. But with all of the electric tech talk, I’m now wondering I if a surge protected power strip is safe to use on an airplane?

Well looks like getting the above gizmo and a few of the below usb extension cables

Monoprice 15-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable (Gold Plated) (105435) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L137Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GousBbFQBVKP2

We should be good to go for charging most of the devices, and I’ll probably toss in one of those orange 1 to 3 adapters. But with all of the electric tech talk, I’m now wondering I if a surge protected power strip is safe to use on an airplane?

Airplanes do not use a floating ground like ships, so there would be no chance of reverse voltage. Further, airplanes do not generate high voltage power, so no surges are possible from that source. Airplanes, surrounded by an insulator (the air) do not conduct electricity to ground like a ship surrounded by a conductor (sea water), so charge from a lightning strike can build up in the skin of the plane. Airplanes use surge protectors to protect the vital electrical systems of the craft, so a surge protected power strip is not a problem on an airplane.

Airplanes do not use a floating ground like ships, so there would be no chance of reverse voltage. Further, airplanes do not generate high voltage power, so no surges are possible from that source. Airplanes, surrounded by an insulator (the air) do not conduct electricity to ground like a ship surrounded by a conductor (sea water), so charge from a lightning strike can build up in the skin of the plane. Airplanes use surge protectors to protect the vital electrical systems of the craft, so a surge protected power strip is not a problem on an airplane.

Thanks! One of the most royal pains is to try to get an cell phone charger plugged into an outlet on an airplane, especially when it is placed directly below the edge of your seat. I use a three-outlet power strip (don't think it has surge protection fwiw) with a right-angle plug that tends to say in, about a 2.5 foot cord so it will reach the pocket in front, and a lighted switch to easily see if it is still plugged in. Since there are usually two outlets per three seats, it also allows sharing too.

Is there an issue with all power strips or just power strips with surge protection? Wondering how the average security person would know the difference even if I bothered to buy a non surge protected strip. If the inspector finds one he/she might err on the safe side and yank it?!

Is there an issue with all power strips or just power strips with surge protection? Wondering how the average security person would know the difference even if I bothered to buy a non surge protected strip. If the inspector finds one he/she might err on the safe side and yank it?!

The danger is with the surge protection. However, I think the security people sometimes pull any power strip to because they can't tell the difference.

The danger is with the surge protection. However, I think the security people sometimes pull any power strip to because they can't tell the difference.

My plan is to put a NON surge protected power strip in my carry on (and if it gets targeted) I will show documentation saying so.

This is exactly why RCI has banned all power strips and extension cords. The security screening staff are not technically trained to determine if a power strip is surge protected or not, so they went with an outright ban. Other line's risk acceptance has allowed non-surge protected strips to be used, and rely on somewhat shaky training to make the determinaton.

It's really pretty easy to tell, if it says "xxx joules" on it, it is surge protected.

You can show all the documentation you want, it is a corporate policy not to allow power strips of any kind, so it won't be allowed.

This is exactly why RCI has banned all power strips and extension cords. The security screening staff are not technically trained to determine if a power strip is surge protected or not, so they went with an outright ban. Other line's risk acceptance has allowed non-surge protected strips to be used, and rely on somewhat shaky training to make the determinaton.

It's really pretty easy to tell, if it says "xxx joules" on it, it is surge protected.

You can show all the documentation you want, it is a corporate policy not to allow power strips of any kind, so it won't be allowed.

Got it. Please share with us where it states RCI has banned all power strips and extension cords.