Dog on ship, continued

Holy crap (pun intended), I'm not reading thru that 1000 page thread to realize that many folks traveling with their "comfort" pouches are just gaming the system.

that is NOT what that post is about. It was created by a very nice person with an actual service dog in order to make lives of those who cruise and travel with a service dog easier in terms of planning.

I guess you didn't even read the 1st page, let alone 10 years worth of very useful posts.

Whelp, I've come on CruiseCritic for the first time in many many years for my first cruise in many years to, unfortunately, see this thread when looking into bringing my SO's service dog on our cruise! It seems it's a fairly big problem with both fake service dogs (ESAs) and individuals who are angry about dogs being there at all!

I'm going to say this from my side, hopefully so that individuals understand it from a service dog handler/owner's side. Service dogs aren't regulated in any way, and most of us wish they were! There are some that are home trained due to how costly it can be for training ($10k - $25k if you cannot wait in line for a free dog through certain programs), but in order to effectively do their job, a dog needs to have the right temperament and physical and mental ability to do the job they are required to do. That INCLUDES public access, a reason many dogs fail out of training as a puppy and an ability that is 100% required of all service dogs, which is hundreds if not thousands of hours of training from as early as 8 weeks, to be in public areas. Generally, you can spot a dog that has this training on something like a cruise because the dog will stay close to the owners side and not be distracted by anything else going on around them. They won't be distracted by food if it's on the ground or next to them, and trust me, that takes a lot of training to learn for some dogs!

All of that being said, a service dog is still a dog. A few of our concerns, and why we were looking, is that they still need down time; that usually means me, being more able-bodied to do so, will have times when the vest is off (this signifies to the dog work is over) and we can get his energy out through some running and playing. It seems that the cruise line offers some on-deck time very early in the morning to allow the dog some off leash time if they are given notice, though we're still trying to work that part out. I can understand if someone is afraid of dogs how this can be an issue, and I'm hoping they can create a better way to facilitate this but I know it's hard given how many people are on the ship and how little space there is. Outside of that, new experiences can be scary, which is why training on a plane and train are important before we ever go on big trips. A ship is of course a new beast if it were very rocky, but our thoughts are that everything else would follow all other training to a T.

Being a dog, accidents also can happen. The post about a dog pooping on the carpet and him just walking away is appalling, and a service owner would absolutely be paying attention to this (service dogs usually are trained to go to the bathroom on command and we're diligent about it). That being said, we've had times that it has happened because the dog was usually sick and we didn't have advance warning. It's incredibly embarrassing for the owner, but we do our best to find a staff member to assist and clean what we can. Walking away is one thing, but I'd hate to feel more ashamed because someone thinks the dog isn't truly providing a service for someone with a disability because of an accident. For those individuals reading that DO have service dogs, we were assured that a potty area would be set up for our dog in a common area, or even on our balcony.

Lastly, fake service animals are a huge hindrance to service dog handlers too! While service dogs are specially trained for public access and to act on their best manners, a fake service dog not being handled properly and being allowed to bark or even run up to a service animal can be incredibly dangerous and always troublesome. When a dog and even humans (trying to pet a dog that works or trying to get their attention) distract a dog, it can be dangerous for the owner who (in our case) may be using the dog for mobility issues or (in possibly even more dangerous ways) for medical alert.

All in all, it's frustrating for us and scary going on a cruise for the first time with our service dog, but I'm hoping our experience sets a standard for how dogs should behave when working on a trip like this.

There is a great post on the disabled cruising board you might find useful. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

that is NOT what that post is about. It was created by a very nice person with an actual service dog in order to make lives of those who cruise and travel with a service dog easier in terms of planning.

I guess you didn't even read the 1st page, let alone 10 years worth of very useful posts.

No, I didn't read even the first page. Was hoping someone would give me the cliff notes version. :rolleyes:

This is how I feel about all this. I do feel "dependent" on my little 4 1/2 lb poodle. For some reason, maybe because I can't carry him., I don't feel so dependent on my bulldog. But I sometimes get a lot of comfort from my little guy. But he is not a support dog.

I had cancer and have had a double mastectomy, I still have pain, and feel like people stare as I have had no reconstruction. It's been over a year but seems like it all just happened. I think I will be okay. But to think about my kids, my husband, my grandkids, my future? I want to cry. My dog helps me with that. But he is not a support dog.

I wish so much I could bring him every where with me. EVERY. WHERE! But he is not a support dog.

My dog stays at my vet while I'm on most vacations, and always stays at the vet's office when I cruise. How is it fair to me when someone cheats and brings their dog? My dog is not a support dog so I do with out him. He is right against my leg as I type this though, giving me support where he belongs. I have spent most of his life training him, he stops barking on command, he never leaves an area unless I okay him to. He sits and stays and down and stays. He will potty on command. Is totally housebroke. But his place is not on a ship. Or any where dogs are not allowed, or off leash in public. My dog can not go, neither should any one else take a fake support dog any where that pet dogs are not allowed.

People who have real support and service dogs have earned the right to have those dogs with them. They have real needs for those animals. I do not have that need or right. So my dog can not go.

This is how I feel about all this. I do feel "dependent" on my little 4 1/2 lb poodle. For some reason, maybe because I can't carry him., I don't feel so dependent on my bulldog. But I sometimes get a lot of comfort from my little guy. But he is not a support dog.

I had cancer and have had a double mastectomy, I still have pain, and feel like people stare as I have had no reconstruction. It's been over a year but seems like it all just happened. I think I will be okay. But to think about my kids, my husband, my grandkids, my future? I want to cry. My dog helps me with that. But he is not a support dog.

I wish so much I could bring him every where with me. EVERY. WHERE! But he is not a support dog.

My dog stays at my vet while I'm on most vacations, and always stays at the vet's office when I cruise. How is it fair to me when someone cheats and brings their dog? My dog is not a support dog so I do with out him. He is right against my leg as I type this though, giving me support where he belongs. I have spent most of his life training him, he stops barking on command, he never leaves an area unless I okay him to. He sits and stays and down and stays. He will potty on command. Is totally housebroke. But his place is not on a ship. Or any where dogs are not allowed, or off leash in public. My dog can not go, neither should any one else take a fake support dog any where that pet dogs are not allowed.

People who have real support and service dogs have earned the right to have those dogs with them. They have real needs for those animals. I do not have that need or right. So my dog can not go.

Sending you hugs:):)

hugs to you.

For what it's worth, since I've only cruised 7 times so far, I have NEVER seen a non-service dog on a cruise. On one of the cruises a guy in a wheelchair had his dog with him. On our last cruise there was a group of blind people with their seeing eye dogs.

Honestly it’s not even fair for those true support dogs-as the previous poster stated there really isn’t a true place for them to get proper exercise when they are off. How about an alternate vacation?

is it fair for these disabled folk to never cruise if their dog doesn't get to exercise for a week? Not every dog needs daily exercise.

It's super hot and humid here in the summer so I cannot go outside most days. Most of this summer neither of my dogs got daily walks - and they are fine with that. Last summer was just as bad, but I decided to suck it up and take the dogs for walks - I had to stop, because I almost fainted several times. My dogs are low energy and low maintenance and do not require daily walks. They are not lap or decorative dogs either.

Well written :*

Wishing you all the very best.

Thanks for sharing. Very well stated. I agree with your post.

43f7b5a633c6d6b54e5402618a5a11bd.jpg

Agree with earlier posters -- fantastic, well-written post!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dog on shop is bad enough, but at least it's for a limited time.

Article in last week's NY TIMES Real Estate section - people bought in apartment buildings designated dog free because of allergies or fear. Now buildings cannot prevent people from moving in with emotional support dogs, it's against the law.

:*That's every day of your life!!

Someone I know boarded Adventure yesterday. There is a passenger onboard wheeling a cat around. My cats would be going nuts and trying to escape.

My cat would be going nuts as well. That is downright cruel. Shame on that person.

Someone I know boarded Adventure yesterday. There is a passenger onboard wheeling a cat around. My cats would be going nuts and trying to escape.

I miss my cats when I travel but if I can afford to travel, then I can afford to place them in their nice cattery with people trained to look after them.

It’s not fair on the cat nor the dogs. It’s pure selfishness on the owners part.

I thought a service animal had to be trained to perform a specific task for their owners? Cats are notorious for not being able to be trained.

I have cat whom I love. But I know I am the pet monkey she keeps around to open her food for her [emoji6] she won't even come when I call unless she wants something.

I just can't believe a cat can be trained to do anything.

I thought you were allowed to ask what the animal was trained for?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app