Favorite Luggage Brand? Spinners better than 2 wheels?

Susie B.

Anyone experience damage to the spinners (broken wheels or where the wheels go into) caused by baggage handlers?

Yes, my wife's Samsonite carry on. One wheel was broken. Took it to our local outlets store where they sold Samsonite. I had to pay the $10 shipping to the repair facility. Little did we know, there's some sort of tag inside the luggage where they can tell how old it is. It was guaranteed for 10 years, so they fixed it and mailed it back to me within 2-3 days for free.

Never had a problem on Celebrity or royal. We put our carry ons inside our 28” bags then under the bed. We also carry a tumi suot/dress bag under the bed also

Definitely spinners. But another thing to consider is weight. It really is important ehen checking in at the airport![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We replaced all ours recently with spinners. It makes it much easier to manage multiple bags. The DH can take 2 25 inch ones plus a 22 inch carry on. I manage the suitor and a 22 inch carry on. No need for help.

Samsonite soft sides we got at TJ Max for $89. A suitor more expensive but greatly reduced at a department store less then $130. We’ve done 2 flights with them, jury is out on how they’ll hold up. We get 25 inches only as otherwise they get too full and approach the the 50# weight limit. My favorite is the suitor. I pack all our dinner clothes in plastic dry cleaning bags in this bag. Open on ship, hang up and done. Easy to pack to go home too.

We replace our carryon bags every year or 2. DH travels a lot by air, while mine lasts a little longer. The checked bags I’m hoping last longer. Our kids took our 2 wheelers that were a Delsey lightweight. They have a lot more life in them, we just wanted spinners. We’d had them at least 7 years no issues.

Anyone experience damage to the spinners (broken wheels or where the wheels go into) caused by baggage handlers?

Yes. Brand new bag, lost wheel from pier to my room. Said could fix it, sent it down. Nope they do not fix or keep broke wheel. Have no idea where my wheel went... Oh and they said here is your replacement cheap bag...

I had a Samsonite hard sided spinner that *just* broke last weekend after a flight (the side cracked like an egg). I'm replacing it with another spinner but not a hard side this time. We shall see how this one lasts. But spinners are the way to go for me!

I recently purchased a set of Travel Pro Pathways hard-sided spinners and am thrilled with them ... lightweight and so easy to manoeuvre. They're currently on sale at Macy's at a great price for 30 more hours!

We have 2 sets of Spinner" suit cases (each set has 3 sizes). We purchased 1 set at "Sam's" and 1 set at "Costco" if I remember correctly.

We also have 2 "Samsonite" spinner garment bags. We love them all. We would never go back to using 2 wheeled luggage again.

We are frequent cruisers (3 - 4 cruises a year of between 4 night's and 15 night's) and we also fly at least 1 -2 times a year. They have all stood up well and they really make life easier.

Have switched over to all hard-sided, lightweight spinners and love love love them. We've been really happy with Ricardo and have found some great deals at eBags in the past, and recently on a two-piece set at Costco. The older ones are carry-ons and have been used fairly extensively (5-12 times a year for 5+ years now) and I have yet to run into any issues with them. We did have bad luck with Samsonite soft-sided suitcases in the past, probably fairly cheap ones, but decided to switch to other brands after that. We also have an IT hard-sided spinner as a couple others here mentioned. That one is a little newer but has been good so far.

I had a Samsonite hard sided spinner that *just* broke last weekend after a flight (the side cracked like an egg). I'm replacing it with another spinner but not a hard side this time. We shall see how this one lasts. But spinners are the way to go for me!

Agree, only soft for me. Have seen too many hard side broke...

Replaced our 2 wheel cloth luggage a couple years ago with Samsonite hard-sided w/ spinners. Much easier to roll around with.

Only downside has been not able to stow it under the bed. Hoping RCCL bed frames are higher than HAL.

Leave it opened out and it should fit under the bed.

About 6 years ago, we needed new luggage. After reading reviews on the various brands, soft vs. hard sided luggage, and spinner vs. two-wheeled luggage, we chose Samsonite soft-sided two-wheeled luggage. Except for a few scuff marks from the conveyor belts at the airports, they've held up very well. I strongly suggest that you choose some other color than black. I bought red luggage and my wife bought purple. It makes it so much easier to find your luggage at the airport (or the cruise terminal on Debarkation Day) if you don't have luggage that looks like 95% of everyone else's luggage. Also, when shopping, check Marshall's if there's one near you. You can usually find brand name luggage at a discount price. And don't waste your money on cheap off-brand luggage.

I will be odd man out - dislike the spinners as the wheels are prone to damage (traveled 40 weeks/yr for work) so you end up dragging them. Also pain to push on carpets and uneven surfaces.

I'm with you Sbbq,

It's just a matter of time before spinner wheels break off. Give me the large, protected two wheel luggage bags any time. Club Glove (know for their golf travel bags) makes a line of luggage that is top of the line. They favor a duffle style, which is not ideal for cruise travel, but they are strong and well designed (made in the USA).

I'm surprised that all of the luggage companies are "all-in" with these spinner designed models. It's difficult to even find a good two-wheeled cruise appropriate bag these days.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

I use spinners and have the hard sided luggage. …

I have no regrets with purchasing the Heys.

I agree about the Heys. They can be top loaded which is great in tight spaces. Most other hard sided spinners open only in the middle.

We kept our old 'no brand' super tough soft sided 2wheeler as a back-up. It was becoming too heavy for us. With a 3 month cruise coming up, we need it as an additional bag.

I have a bunch of Andiamo Valoroso two wheeled luggage that I bought a long time ago. Excellent, but far too big and heavy for today's airline requirements. I've since bought some Delsey Embleme spinners that I've been happy with so far (the checked size one weighs less packed than my Andiamo wardrobe does empty!). The Delsey seems a bit flimsy empty, at least in comparison to my Andiamo, but they've held up great so far with a few years of use, and are pretty solid once full. I do prefer the two inline skate wheeled luggage over the spinners, as they'll roll over just about anything without a whimper and aren't as fragile as the spinners, but they're getting pretty difficult to find.

I also am not a fan - seen too many get manhandled by baggage handlers and wind up missing a wheel or two. While spinners are more agile, two-wheeled bags are "faster". Spinners are nice in that you don't have to worry about the weight of the packed bag. And spinners are great for airplane aisles and on glass smooth surfaces like in airports but horrible on uneven and cobblestones found in Europe - they tend to get caught in cracks more with their smaller wheels. My final peeve is that spinners seem to leave less packing space as the spinners take away from the luggage's overall space

My ex is a flight attendant and "made" me purchase Travel Pro rollaboard and tote. 12 years later haven't had a single issue.

I also look at it this way - have yet to see any flight crew with spinner bags. That may change in the future, though.........JMHO and YMMV

My preference is Briggs and Riley and two wheels. B&R is more expensive but I'd rather have durable luggage then deal with cheap stuff that breaks while traveling. Travel Pro's premium line would be my next choice.

Spinners are great on flat smooth surfaces. Nothing seems to work well dragging on cobblestones.

Or carpeting! Then they're a pain, and become difficult to move. Those small wheels get bogged down in the carpet.

They don't do well at all when you try to pull them behind, like a 2-wheel bag, when you encounter carpeting.

I bought one, used it once, discovered the carpet problem, and now it sits in the closet, while I take my trusty 2 wheelers on trips.

I guess it all depends on how you travel, but I'm not a big fan of spinners in most cases. Then again, I haven't traveled with a bag larger than 24" to 25" in years, even on trips of 3 weeks including a cruise and time in Europe...

I also don't like hard-sided luggage. I bought a Heyes bag a few years ago but I really don't like packing bags on two sides. I much prefer a deep bag with a zip-around top. The Heyes bag also showed scratches badly (solid color). I ended up using it to store stuff in my attic.

I like Eagle Creek bags with two good, sturdy "off roads" looking wheels with treads. Most of their bags are lightweight and very durable. I do a lot of land travel in Europe and as already mentioned several times, spinners do NOT manage cobblestones and bumpy roads/sidewalks very well.

I do have one spinner bag, a 22" Victorinox, for business "airport to airport" travel. For everything else, I prefer two wheels.

Yes, my wife's Samsonite carry on. One wheel was broken. Took it to our local outlets store where they sold Samsonite. I had to pay the $10 shipping to the repair facility. Little did we know, there's some sort of tag inside the luggage where they can tell how old it is. It was guaranteed for 10 years, so they fixed it and mailed it back to me within 2-3 days for free.

I usually check our luggage when getting off the plane. My wife once had an Alaska Airlines severely bend of a wheel. ( They must do something pretty bad ) Took it to the luggage/baggage desk and they paid for it. Challenge is you take it to their luggage repair shop. Good thing is you find out where a good luggage repair shop is.

W

cruisedafewtimes