My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

You can definitely refine your lists! Way too much stuff - especially pharmacy, toilet paper, duct tape - you just will never use much of what you have listed.

Flying is going to be tight. One bag, one carryon and perhaps a purse/tote depending on the airline. Don't forget you may want to bring home souvenirs.

Thanks a lot. I don't anticipate using all of it. I'd honestly rather bring more than I need with me than not have what I need when I need it. I'm ok with my bags being heavy if it means that we want for nothing along the way. :)

No criticism here :) I enjoy your enthusiastic planning! I do that to.

I've been on 3 cruises with a 4th booked for this November, and although I pack less each time, I still overpack every time! All those gadgety things people recommend for the rooms - magnetic hooks and over the door hangers and what not - I never used. There's plenty of storage in the room for two people.

Usually what I overpack is clothing. Plan to wear each evening outfit twice (especially if you can mix and match tops and bottoms for a different look). Shorts & tank tops I usually wore twice as well, although I'd bring 4 of each for a 7-day cruise. Much of that depends on how much you sweat and whether or not your excursions will get you wet/muddy. You'll quickly find that the cruise ship is not a fashion show. And don't be like me and bring different jewelry for every outfit for every night! Good grief...what was I thinking?

And don't bring new shoes. Bad choice on my last cruise. Two pairs of new shoes, both of which hurt my feet. I've broken them in now over the spring/summer at home, so I'll bring them next time. Just bring super comfortable walking shoes.

I also found no need for laundry soap. The only things I needed to hand wash outside of our once-a-cruise laundry service was undies, bras, and swimsuits. I bring a small bottle of liquid detergent made for washing swimsuits (sold as swimwear shops) and it works great for everything.

Enjoy your planning! It helps pass the time for sure. And like one of the other posters mentioned, it's a great idea to bring your packing list with you and check off what you actually used so you'll have a better idea of what to bring next time. (We all know there'll be a next time - no one can just cruise once!)

People tend to fall into 2 groups regarding packing. There is the 'Take everything including the kitchen sink' group and the 'Travel the world with just the contents of your pockets' (OK, I might have exaggerated these a little :) ). Each group will look askance at the other.

You have invited comments by posting your list but over-packing isn't a crime so, as long as you can mange your luggage, do what suits you.

I hope you and your sister both have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

TBH, when you get to the medical kit my list is rather similar and long Yes but the medicines are all a limited quantity in small blister packs that take up no room and weigh next to nothing in the kit, right? (I don't pack for the room/laundry and my sun cream and deet etc are in my medical supplies). I think if a lot of us took time to write all our cruise packing down it would be quite long and various cruise channels and blogs and so forth also have a lengthy list.

My main advice is do not feel like you need to pack so much for the room and laundry or even do laundry at all. I have a small £1 net bag for laundry items and thats it. My dirty laundry gets thrown in my case under the bed so I do not need a pop up hamper. I wouldn't have bothered with this if we weren't staying on in New Orleans for an additional 6 days. I didn't want to have to pack that many more clean clothes, so I need to wash them on the ship, hopefully in the last couple days on board so we're heading into Mardis Gras with suitcases full of clean clothes! Also I took a water bottle for my cruises and never used it. Also so not bother with duct tape,pot puorri lol not pot pourri. POO Pouri. You spray it in the toilet before you poop and it doesn't stink up the bathroom and cabin. ;) and wipes etc etc as cruise ship rooms are noted for being cleaner than hotels. Also ships have towels and bar soaps so you will not need those

I am also a fan of the cruise document folder with confirmations and tickets etc. Electronic is good but we have all been hit by technical fails. Also kudos for the passport copy...always an essential. I also take a mini pharmacy with me as most Brit medicines come in blister packs so take no room at all.

Nice! I'm glad to hear we're on the same page here. I'll have all of that available through technology as well, but if that fails, I can still produce documentation or find details even if/when internet is sketchy.

The only things missing I can see is a mini roll of cellotape for our luggage tags and a mini luggage scale so we have no airport surprises.

I have a luggage scale I forgot to list!

Looks like you are doing fine. Have a good cruise!

Thanks so much for your feedback!

So to research what we'd need I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of cruise packing lists and suggestions and started pulling it all together.

Wow. Seriously, throw your clothes and personal stuff in a bag and go. You will never use the vast majority of that stuff.

No criticism here :) I enjoy your enthusiastic planning! I do that to.

LOL Thanks for that! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I've been on 3 cruises with a 4th booked for this November, and although I pack less each time, I still overpack every time! All those gadgety things people recommend for the rooms - magnetic hooks and over the door hangers and what not - I never used. There's plenty of storage in the room for two people.

Usually what I overpack is clothing. Plan to wear each evening outfit twice (especially if you can mix and match tops and bottoms for a different look). Shorts & tank tops I usually wore twice as well, although I'd bring 4 of each for a 7-day cruise. Much of that depends on how much you sweat and whether or not your excursions will get you wet/muddy. You'll quickly find that the cruise ship is not a fashion show. And don't be like me and bring different jewelry for every outfit for every night! Good grief...what was I thinking?

And don't bring new shoes. Bad choice on my last cruise. Two pairs of new shoes, both of which hurt my feet. I've broken them in now over the spring/summer at home, so I'll bring them next time. Just bring super comfortable walking shoes.

All great advice about clothes! Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when deciding what clothes to bring.

I also found no need for laundry soap. The only things I needed to hand wash outside of our once-a-cruise laundry service was undies, bras, and swimsuits. I wouldn't have either, normally, but we are going to have to get off the boat and then go do Mardis Gras in New Orleans and be there in town for 6 more days. I didn't want to pack 6 more days of clean clothes. Just planning to do some laundry in the middle of our full vacation before we get off the boat. I bring a small bottle of liquid detergent made for washing swimsuits (sold as swimwear shops) and it works great for everything.

Enjoy your planning! It helps pass the time for sure. And like one of the other posters mentioned, it's a great idea to bring your packing list with you and check off what you actually used so you'll have a better idea of what to bring next time. (We all know there'll be a next time - no one can just cruise once!)

Thanks a lot for your kind reply!

People tend to fall into 2 groups regarding packing. There is the 'Take everything including the kitchen sink' group and the 'Travel the world with just the contents of your pockets' (OK, I might have exaggerated these a little :) ). Each group will look askance at the other.

You have invited comments by posting your list but over-packing isn't a crime so, as long as you can mange your luggage, do what suits you.

I hope you and your sister both have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the insight and the good wishes. I didn't realize what I was getting into but I was hoping to learn more and that I am, indeed.

lol thanks for the advice.

I packed like that for my first cruise too. A little less on my second. Less yet on the third. etc. Now my biggest dilemmas are which book to bring and do I REALLY need my laptop?

..... Now my biggest dilemmas are which book to bring and do I REALLY need my laptop?

Agree. I need my laptop and Verizon Jetpack - absolutely got to keep track of the grandchildren. My wife takes her iPad with her entire library (now closing in on 200 books!)

That's just the amount of little sunscreen I have. I'll have a larger tube as well. The sink stopper came in a laundry kit. The variations of motion sickness cures are because I have no idea if we'll get seasick and, if we do, what remedy will actually help. The toilet paper is just this little roll, like an inch around, that's from my camping gear. Just saw it recommended somewhere and since it weighs nothing and takes up hardly any space, I threw it in. But maybe it's overkill lol! Thanks for the feedback.

hi bb sorry for your loss, but in reference to sea sickness don't wait to use remedies to cure, just get a patch or bracelet to wear before you leave on cruise, you wont feel a thing, have a great time

Sorry if I missed these in your list or in other posts:

door stop

jewelry

prescription medicine?

guide book(s)

debit cards

umbrellas

spare prescription glasses

Sharpies

spare sd cards

scanner

Kindle or other reading material

external laptop backup device

charging cables for all your electrical devices

Do you have shoes and handbags for each of your outfits? Might you need anything for shipboard romances?

As a carry-on only, no packing cubes/power strip/electronics apart from a phone person, this is about 75% too much stuff for me.

However, as it is your first cruise, taking all of these items will be instructive in learning how much you might not need and how much valuable space will be taken up by non-essentials in a small cabin.

A bath pouf might get mildewed unless you expose it to some light. 3 sets of pajamas? Assuming you will be clean, would not one or maybe 2 sets suffice?

So sorry to hear about your dads.

OK, I only scanned the other responses. But.....

--One battery operated night light is enough in the bathroom, just so you don't kill yourselves in the bathroom

--Cruise lines frown on power strips. A simple extension cord will, however, get by the luggage police.

--Never needed an over-the door thingie for two people. It helped a bit for three women, but still was half-empty....

--Dish soap? Why? Shampoo will cut grease pretty well....

--Why bother with door decoration?

--Did you have flashlights/torches on your list? If not, think again. I've got reading lights (Mighty Bright - use common batteries) that clip on to books/kindles, have necks that bend and stay where you want them to, AND are perfect in-room flashlights. They are actually my go-to when the power goes out when we're at home!

-Use a suitcase under the bed, open, instead of a hamper. Tide for laundry? That must mean you plan on doing laundry on land, not as sea - they have special detergents for at sea.

-Sink stopper? The only time I'd do that if is I was afraid something would go down the drain (like old-school hard contact lenses).

-Overkill on antispectic: iodine, cream, wipes. Just take some Neosporin or equivalent, and you're good.

-if you need gauze and tape, you possibly need the health services, too!

-and since you don't know if you're going to be sea-sick or not, I'd say no to patches (unpleasant side effects for many people). If in fear, take meclazine (Bonine, non-drowsy Dramamine, etc.) a few days before you leave at bedtime, and it will most likely be enough. My sister was terrified before the cruise we took that she'd be sick, due to a long history of car sick through her life, but I had her take a meclazine at bedtime a few nights before we left, and she was fine. Ginger would be the next level for me.

- thermometer? you'll know if you're hot!

-we never use lanyards, so don't think they are absolutely necessary....

- however, we've taken tons of trips when we didn't have nail clippers we needed, and have bought so many, they are all over the damned house now. Take the nail clippers.

-and NO ONE cares whether you wear an outfit more than once. Really. For everyone else, it's not about you at all. If your clothes are not stained or stinky, you can wear them several times.....

Oh my goodness. Are you taking a cruise to Venus or Mars?

Essentials in carry- on are cruise documents, prescription medications, cash and a change of clothes.

Essentials in checked luggage, casual clothes and a couple of dressier outfits, and toiletries.

One pair of beach shoes, one pair of dress shoes, and wear a pair of comfortable shoes to embark.

Leave room in the checked bag for souvenirs.

Happy (and relaxed) sailing.

My sister and I are taking our first cruise ever in February on the Carnival Dream. We're flying into New Orleans, staying overnight, then boarding the Dream for a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary. When the cruise ends we will be staying on in New Orleans for 6 extra days through Mardis Gras and on until Friday.

I find it a lot of fun to plan and organize, and I've sort of volunteered to take care of almost every detail in terms of what we need in the room so my sister can just show up and order a drink. :p:pSo to research what we'd need I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of cruise packing lists and suggestions and started pulling it all together.

I indulged in buying a bunch of packing cubes to help me bring order to the chaos and pack things meaningfully. I've shared below how I've organized different cubes. I'm storing a lot of this stuff already packed into the appropriate cubes so when the cruise gets here I can just move the cubes into suitcases, pack up some clothes and personal items, and hit the road.

I also included here some personal packing lists of things I'll want when I leave my cabin to go to the pool, the beach, a shore excursion, etc.

I intend to do laundry once on the ship, hopefully on the 5th day or later.

Would love to hear feedback if anyone thinks I've forgotten something! :)

Room Packing Cube

Nightlights

travel alarm clock

magnetic hooks

Magnetic clips

ziplock bags

power strips with USB ports

highlighter pens

pen

Sticky notes

rechargeable fan

Duct tape

Sewing Kit

Glasses repair kit

Poopouri toilet spray

mesh shower tote (to hang our stuff in in the shower and to carry it to the spa)

duct tape

Over the door organizer

dish soap

YETI/Straws

door decoration

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen

lock bag

wet bag

microfiber towel

waterproof phone case

beach towel chair straps

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags

Sanitizer wipes

Lens cloth

Laundry Packing Cube

Collapsible hamper

Tide for 3 regular washes

Tide for 3 sink washes

Dryer sheets

Bungee clothes line

Sink stopper

clothespins

Downy Wrinkle Releaser

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho

2 waterproof bags on belts

2 collapsible water bottles with carabiners

bug spray with DEET

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen

Collabsible tote bag

portable toilet paper

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

bandages

iodine

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol

tums

scissors

tweezers

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag

Cruise documents

Excursion documents

email confirming steakhouse reservation

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

Plane ticket info

Hotel(s) info

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc.

Travel insurance

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards

Travel partner's emergency numbers

Insurance card

Carryon Packing list

Passport

License

Credit cards

Important Documents folder

Phone and charger

Watch

Gum

Snacks

Medication

Pen and small notebook

Camera

Sunglasses

Dollar bills for tipping

Luggage IDs

Lanyard

Rain poncho if weather sketchy

headphones

PJs

Bathing suit and coverup

Outfit for boarding the ship

Lanyard

Camera

Kindle

remote charger(s) for phone

Personal toiletries

makeup

laptop

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor

Binoculars

Beach packing cube

towel

Toiletry bag

sandals

Toiletry bag

Shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

bath pouf

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

Clothes

Dinner outfits for 7 nights

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for 5 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and 2 coverups

underclothes

5 pairs socks

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion)

3 pairs pjs

Small hand bag

Sweater

4 tshirts

Excursion packing list

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

You forgot insect repellant

This might have been mentioned, but I personally prefer the highest SPF I can get in sunscreen products. The planning and anticipation are so much fun! Don't let any of us hurt your feelings. PS - it took me 10 cruises to get my overpacking under control --assuming it was OVER in the first place. Husb and I are older and now prefer lighter suitcases, for self debarcation, lifting into our vehicle, etc.

Edited by Etta1213

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

bandages

iodine

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol

tums

scissors

tweezers

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Hello from a fellow "extensive list-writer". I'm impressed by your medical kit list. We bring everything that you have listed here except the re-hydration salts. However, in addition to everything you have listed under your medical supplies, we also bring Similasan eye drops in case of dry or itchy eyes.

I agree with these statements 100%. I always write a huge "master packing list" that has everything under the sun on it. I always use it as a guide when packing for my cruise (and I have been on more than 20 cruises). I do not usually pack everything that is on the master list, but I have it as a template for what I think I might need. For a new cruiser such as the OP is, it may be better to have something and not need it, then to need something and not have it.

• Like 1

My sister and I are taking our first cruise ever in February on the Carnival Dream. We're flying into New Orleans, staying overnight, then boarding the Dream for a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary. When the cruise ends we will be staying on in New Orleans for 6 extra days through Mardis Gras and on until Friday.

I find it a lot of fun to plan and organize, and I've sort of volunteered to take care of almost every detail in terms of what we need in the room so my sister can just show up and order a drink. :p:pSo to research what we'd need I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of cruise packing lists and suggestions and started pulling it all together.

I indulged in buying a bunch of packing cubes to help me bring order to the chaos and pack things meaningfully. I've shared below how I've organized different cubes. I'm storing a lot of this stuff already packed into the appropriate cubes so when the cruise gets here I can just move the cubes into suitcases, pack up some clothes and personal items, and hit the road.

I also included here some personal packing lists of things I'll want when I leave my cabin to go to the pool, the beach, a shore excursion, etc.

I intend to do laundry once on the ship, hopefully on the 5th day or later.

Would love to hear feedback if anyone thinks I've forgotten something! :)

Room Packing Cube

Nightlights

travel alarm clock

magnetic hooks

Magnetic clips

ziplock bags

power strips with USB ports

highlighter pens

pen

Sticky notes

rechargeable fan

Duct tape

Sewing Kit

Glasses repair kit

Poopouri toilet spray

mesh shower tote (to hang our stuff in in the shower and to carry it to the spa)

duct tape

Over the door organizer

dish soap

YETI/Straws

door decoration

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen

lock bag

wet bag

microfiber towel

waterproof phone case

beach towel chair straps

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags

Sanitizer wipes

Lens cloth

Laundry Packing Cube

Collapsible hamper

Tide for 3 regular washes

Tide for 3 sink washes

Dryer sheets

Bungee clothes line

Sink stopper

clothespins

Downy Wrinkle Releaser

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho

2 waterproof bags on belts

2 collapsible water bottles with carabiners

bug spray with DEET

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen

Collabsible tote bag

portable toilet paper

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

bandages

iodine

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol

tums

scissors

tweezers

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag

Cruise documents

Excursion documents

email confirming steakhouse reservation

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

Plane ticket info

Hotel(s) info

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc.

Travel insurance

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards

Travel partner's emergency numbers

Insurance card

Carryon Packing list

Passport

License

Credit cards

Important Documents folder

Phone and charger

Watch

Gum

Snacks

Medication

Pen and small notebook

Camera

Sunglasses

Dollar bills for tipping

Luggage IDs

Lanyard

Rain poncho if weather sketchy

headphones

PJs

Bathing suit and coverup

Outfit for boarding the ship

Lanyard

Camera

Kindle

remote charger(s) for phone

Personal toiletries

makeup

laptop

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor

Binoculars

Beach packing cube

towel

Toiletry bag

sandals

Toiletry bag

Shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

bath pouf

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

Clothes

Dinner outfits for 7 nights

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for 5 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and 2 coverups

underclothes

5 pairs socks

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion)

3 pairs pjs

Small hand bag

Sweater

4 tshirts

Excursion packing list

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

Samantha Brown ... Travel Guru ... Packing Tips

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/video-home-family/info-2016/samantha-brown-how-to-pack.html

Just addressing the clothes and shoes mainly - unless you love to really dress up at night you are taking way too many clothes IMHO. I find many days I just change my shorts I’ve been wearing during the day into pants, capris, or skirt most nights. And if I take skirts it is something plain that I can wear with multiple tops. I never wear all I take and I take way less than you. I also would see if the hotel in NO has laundry and do it there the first night.