A (possibly) silly question about EpiPen

So I have a quick question that may seem a bit silly to some that already know the answer...(I'm clueless)

I require an EpiPen as I am very seriously allergic to flying, stinging insects (such as bees, wasps and yellow jackets) as well as citronella (so most people who are wearing bug sprays containing the stuff) and I'm curious to know if I am allowed to bring this on the ship with me to take off with me when I get off the ship at the ports? Do I need to carry the giant box it comes in with RX information or am I free to just carry around the pen with me in it's safety container? Do I need to carry this with me in my carry-on when boarding the ship?

I haven't had to use my EpiPen ever, but I wouldn't feel safe getting off the ship without it honestly. I will carry some Benadryl tablets with me as well of course, but I'd certainly like to have my emergency medication there with me just in case I were to get stung or someone decided to accidentally spray me with their bug spray or rub up against me after just applying it on themselves.

I'm sure there are lots of others who need to carry one, so I'm curious to know how to go about this as this is my first time ever to have to carry one with me on vacation.

I don't use an epi-pen myself, but if it were me, I would see if I could get something in writing from my doc to tuck in with it. Hopefully someone with actual experience will see your post.

And no, it's not a silly question when it comes to your life.

Edited by dmdiver

Can you get your pharmacy to print you a document with the prescription label on it? You should be able to get on... I know what you are talking about. They printed the label on the box, just tell them you are traveling and need just the plain label. They should be able to accommodate you. That way all you need is the pen and you can carry that label with you in a safe place, like your purse or something in case someone would question it.

I don't use an epi-pen myself, but if it were me, I would see if I could get something in writing from my doc to tuck in with it. Hopefully someone with actual experience will see your post.

And no, it's not a silly question when it comes to your life.

Thank you for your reply! (:

And yes, the label on the box I guess technically gives me permission to carry it I suppose I guess I was just worried about having to carry around the entire box but it looks like the poster under you had a great idea for fixing that, hehe!

Can you get your pharmacy to print you a document with the prescription label on it? You should be able to get on... I know what you are talking about. They printed the label on the box, just tell them you are traveling and need just the plain label. They should be able to accommodate you. That way all you need is the pen and you can carry that label with you in a safe place, like your purse or something in case someone would question it.

Perfect idea! I don't know why I didn't think about just going to the pharmacy and asking for them to just print me a label. I was thinking about how much of a pain it would be to carry around the giant box. You are a genius! Thank you :D

For the record, I'd be so confused by the person that really questions if it's actually my EpiPen. No guys, I really just like being stabbed with sharp needles containing medication that I don't really need...sounds like a party to me :rolleyes:

Needles don't freak me out, but I certainly don't want someone jabbing one into my thigh for fun or anything.

I carry mine in my day bag. Never got a second look.

I do the same as Elaine5715. I`ve cruised and flown with an Epi-Pen for 5 years.

No one has ever said anything to me about it. I carry mine off the ship each time we dock.

For the record, I'd be so confused by the person that really questions if it's actually my EpiPen. No guys, I really just like being stabbed with sharp needles containing medication that I don't really need...sounds like a party to me :rolleyes:

Needles don't freak me out, but I certainly don't want someone jabbing one into my thigh for fun or anything.

No kidding...I would be really disturbed if someone questioned you for having one. Honestly I doubt they even notice you have it. But also I can completely understand wanting to come prepared "just in case"

Also, not a genius, just work at a hospital with patients and deal with pharmacies all the time.

Thank you all for your answers...I'm glad to know I'll be able to bring it with me! It'll be good to have it 'just in case', god forbid...nobody wants anything bad to happen on their vacation, but you never know. Thankfully I'm not accident prone nor do I really happen to run into bad luck very often.

Just better safe than sorry :D

I will be getting that label from the pharmacist to carry with me so that I have proof just in case any crazies want to make sure the pen is legitimately for me!

So I have a quick question that may seem a bit silly to some that already know the answer...(I'm clueless)

I require an EpiPen as I am very seriously allergic to flying, stinging insects (such as bees, wasps and yellow jackets) as well as citronella (so most people who are wearing bug sprays containing the stuff) and I'm curious to know if I am allowed to bring this on the ship with me to take off with me when I get off the ship at the ports? Do I need to carry the giant box it comes in with RX information or am I free to just carry around the pen with me in it's safety container? Do I need to carry this with me in my carry-on when boarding the ship?

I haven't had to use my EpiPen ever, but I wouldn't feel safe getting off the ship without it honestly. I will carry some Benadryl tablets with me as well of course, but I'd certainly like to have my emergency medication there with me just in case I were to get stung or someone decided to accidentally spray me with their bug spray or rub up against me after just applying it on themselves.

I'm sure there are lots of others who need to carry one, so I'm curious to know how to go about this as this is my first time ever to have to carry one with me on vacation.

I carry an EpiPen due to a severe crab meat allergy. I like other seafood but just in case it suddenly decides it doesn't like me to the same degree that crab meat doesn't I'm ready. But I carry it even on to the planes and I never have anyone question it. It's in the sack with my other prescription drugs and I let it go through xray and they never say a word. And no I don't carry the box only the auto injector plastic case.

I've never had to use mine either, but keep it with me due to food allergies a medication I get that could cause me to go into shock(been taking it 10 years so I doubt it). But, anyways, I've never had a problem taking it on board, and even flying it's always in my purse. I've never had anyone ask for the proof it's prescribed to me. No one is going to check in an emergency. Just make sure it's up to date, I just realized mine expired a while ago.

I have carried mine on a plane and cruises before with just the carry case. I have a label on the carry case. Since I keep it at all times in my purse I don't have the box anymore. I have never had a problem.

tigercat

My youngest daughter also has life altering allergies and uses an epi pen. I happen to use a type of medication that comes in a large box. I don't want to have to cart around either boxes for our cruise, so I spoke with our pharmacist. He suggested making a label and putting it on a small bag, so that my meds do not fall out, and we don't have to have the boxes for our meds.

This is just a different suggestion. Hope you have an amazing cruise!

- Cindy

I developed a sudden adult-onset allergy to peanuts about 15 years ago so I had to carry an Epi-Pen with me. I had the pharmacist affix a label onto the tube in which the Epi-Pen is stored. I never had a problem traveling with it. I didn't even have to remove it from my purse at airports.

Have a great cruise.

Open that "giant box" and inside the epi pen is in a hard plastic container. If it is a true prescription, it will be on the plastic container as well as the box. Unfortunately some family doctors just hand them out like candy when they are not appropriate for the allergy type or severity. Always keep Benadryl with you as first response.

I have a severe allergy, so I know the pharmacy has the script in it.

I hope that helps.

Open that "giant box" and inside the epi pen is in a hard plastic container. If it is a true prescription, it will be on the plastic container as well as the box. Unfortunately some family doctors just hand them out like candy when they are not appropriate for the allergy type or severity. Always keep Benadryl with you as first response.

I have a severe allergy, so I know the pharmacy has the script in it.

I hope that helps.

Not everywhere puts the prescription label on the box and bottle/container. In California the prescription is only on the outer box.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an EpiPen for years. I carry 2 in my purse along with proof from the pharmacy that these have been prescribed for me. We travel all over the world and the only time I had anyone question why I carried it and why did I need it was in China. Once we had a translator and got the reasons explained to the customs officer, I was waved through.Just be sure to always carry proof that the EpiPen is prescribed for you.

No problem on the Epi - pen! We take them all over the world. Only once had an issue, and it was easily resolved.

In addition to regular Benedryl, always take a 4 Oz bottle of the liquid. In the event of an emergency, the liquid will be absorbed faster. You can down the entire 4 Oz bottle and ingest less than what you will receive if you are in the ER.

• 2 years later...

I carry an Epi-Pen for my bee allergy and have traveled with it a bunch but only had it questioned before boarding a flight from Hong Kong to the US. After pulling out the box with the prescription label, they let it go through. I now also carry one for my daughter who has a shellfish allergy.

I carry an Epi-Pen for my bee allergy and have traveled with it a bunch but only had it questioned before boarding a flight from Hong Kong to the US. After pulling out the box with the prescription label, they let it go through. I now also carry one for my daughter who has a shellfish allergy.

Who questioned it in Hong Kong?

We each had two Epi-Pens with us, and we encountered no problems flying into or out of Hong Kong last year.

In fact, we've not (yet?) been questioned about them anywhere.

But we do have a lot of documentation with us whenever traveling, for all meds.

GC