FYI: RCI blocking routers on their network

momo2000

FYI: This thread probably won’t interest most folks, but some tech folks will be interested and want to know this tidbit.

Just came back from being on Freedom. When I travel, I take a travel router (Netgear PR2000) with me so that I can create my own secure hotspot from a wired or wireless (like on Freedom) internet connection. This is nice for a few reasons: #1. Being able to get my Kindle wifi access (since it can’t deal with a captive portal situation natively) #2. Being able to switch devices quickly, without having to log on/off the RCI internet every time.

On day one, I purchased the internet package for the week and the proceeded to connect my travel router, but was unable. Long story short, it seems that RCI is being clever and blocking mac address prefixes from router manufacturers (i.e. Linksys, Netgear, etc.). Mac address cloning should get around this issue but unfortunately my device doesn’t have this feature when in the wireless mode (only in wired mode).

This is NOT a thread on if this does/doesn’t comply with the RCI Terms of Service, just a FYI for those interested. Hope it helps someone, as I would have like to have known before hand and would have “packed” differently. So, just be aware.

FYI: This thread probably won’t interest most folks, but some tech folks will be interested and want to know this tidbit.

Just came back from being on Freedom. When I travel, I take a travel router (Netgear PR2000) with me so that I can create my own secure hotspot from a wired or wireless (like on Freedom) internet connection. This is nice for a few reasons: #1. Being able to get my Kindle wifi access (since it can’t deal with a captive portal situation natively) #2. Being able to switch devices quickly, without having to log on/off the RCI internet every time.

On day one, I purchased the internet package for the week and the proceeded to connect my travel router, but was unable. Long story short, it seems that RCI is being clever and blocking mac address prefixes from router manufacturers (i.e. Linksys, Netgear, etc.). Mac address cloning should get around this issue but unfortunately my device doesn’t have this feature when in the wireless mode (only in wired mode).

This is NOT a thread on if this does/doesn’t comply with the RCI Terms of Service, just a FYI for those interested. Hope it helps someone, as I would have like to have known before hand and would have “packed” differently. So, just be aware.

I never thought to bring a router as I have not experienced problems switching back and forth between my phone and laptop.

Now I know not to bother in the future. thanks :)

Yep, they are all about the money, that is for sure . . . but I have no problem with them charging . . . I knew what the was deal before I went and willingly signed up for it ;) BTW, I was impressed with the connectivy and speed (for what it was), and the fact that I was at sea and connected, so I was happy to pay the $105 for the week to be have the access.

Yep, they are all about the money, that is for sure . . . but I have no problem with them charging . . . I knew what the was deal before I went and willingly signed up for it ;) BTW, I was impressed with the connectivy and speed (for what it was), and the fact that I was at sea and connected, so I was happy to pay the $105 for the week to be have the access.

Great to hear that the connection was usable.

Given the general "unreliability" (wanted to say incompetence, but competent people with crappy guidance can look incompetent) of RCI's IT department in general, it's a little amazing they actually do this. Probably means they contract this out to someone who actually knows how to make money in the IT/ISP world...

Given the general "unreliability" (wanted to say incompetence, but competent people with crappy guidance can look incompetent) of RCI's IT department in general, it's a little amazing they actually do this. Probably means they contract this out to someone who actually knows how to make money in the IT/ISP world...

I'm sure if the actual RCI IT Dept tried this, it would probably kick the Bionic Bar on Quantums out of order :p

dp

phishfan04: there are several products like that. They will take a WIRED connection and create a hotspot, but not a WIRELESS connection and create a hotspot.

The Netgear Trek N300 router will route wireless to wireless.

What about taking another device like the laptop, connecting Internet to it, and sharing its connection? You can have the hotspot get wired connection from laptop and the hotspot can then be used for other devices. Should not need to clone MAC at that point since it would be coming from the laptop.

I think the problem was not the routing wireless to wireless but instead the ability to modify the MAC address for the wireless interface of the router. According to the OP, RCI is blocking the wireless router based on the prefix of the MAC on the router. The way around that is to spoof the MAC if it's supported on the router. Not all devices let you change the MAC on all interfaces.

What about taking another device like the laptop, connecting Internet to it, and sharing its connection? You can have the hotspot get wired connection from laptop and the hotspot can then be used for other devices. Should not need to clone MAC at that point since it would be coming from the laptop.

Assuming one can figure out how to configure the laptop for that, it should work.

Maybe if you can connect to the laptop with Bluetooth, that should work.

I think the problem was not the routing wireless to wireless but instead the ability to modify the MAC address for the wireless interface of the router. According to the OP, RCI is blocking the wireless router based on the prefix of the MAC on the router. The way around that is to spoof the MAC if it's supported on the router. Not all devices let you change the MAC on all interfaces.

I agree, I understood the potential MAC address problem. However, I was responding to the poster who seemed to not realize there were wireless to wireless routers.

phishfan04: there are several products like that. They will take a WIRED connection and create a hotspot, but not a WIRELESS connection and create a hotspot.

Yep, with my Macbook laptop, I can make it a wireless hotspot, but only with a hard wired connection...

Can the Netgear Trek N300 change the mac address of the wireless interface (on the wan side) that is talking to the ship's wifi? That was my original problem.

I'm glad there was this much interest in the topic. Glad I posted (almost didn't).

Can the Netgear Trek N300 change the mac address of the wireless interface (on the wan side) that is talking to the ship's wifi? That was my original problem.

I'm glad there was this much interest in the topic. Glad I posted (almost didn't).

Yes. Page 36 of the user manual for the N300 discusses this. (It will clone the mac address of your computer and use it for the router mac address.)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PR2000/PR2000_UM_Non-Cellular%20Version_09Apr2014.pdf

Edited by ewenix

Yes. Page 36 of the user manual for the N300 discusses this. (It will clone the mac address of your computer and use it for the router mac address.)

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/PR2000/PR2000_UM_Non-Cellular%20Version_09Apr2014.pdf

Thanks so much for the reply an doc, the N300 is the PR2000 and is the same model that I have. On p36, you are correct that it talks about changing the router mac address, but that is under the WIRED mode (starts on p34). My problem is when in the WIRELESS hotspot mode there is no way to change the mac address of the WIRELESS WAN interface (which is what the ship's network sees). I called Netgear, but the person there really didn't understand, and so I posted on the Netgear forums, but no response there either. (sigh) But thanks again for your reply.