Power Strip

It should be allowed, because it has no surge protection, but sometimes the security people are not that discriminating. It would be more convincing if it did not have the ground pin.

Belkin BZ103050-TVL. Bob the Host recommended it a few years ago and I have 2 of them. Royal has never taken then. But I do bring them on my Carry-on. Happy Sailing!!!!

Those units are surge protected, and Bob has not recommended them in the last couple of years since I pointed out the dangers of surge protection. Regardless of whether RCI has let them pass security, and regardless of whether they are working precisely as designed (and the more times they are exposed to shipboard wiring systems, the more likely they are to fail), a problem all the way at the other end of the ship, many decks removed from your cabin, can cause the Belkin to catch fire. Please do not use these onboard any ship.

In the description it clearly states "can be ideal accessories for your carnival cruise ship" so please only use on a Carnival cruise ship!
When I purchased it the description did not specify Carnival. It said safe for any cruise ship so this is disappointing. I bought 2 for my Adventure cruise. [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry, but this is one of the examples where third party sites like Amazon, or the seller "surge pro store" have made a false claim. If you go to the NTON site (the manufacturer), and look for this model number, and look at the specifications, it mentions "300 joules" of protection. This is a measure of surge protection, so this unit is surge protected, and should not be used on cruise ships, regardless of the advertising copy on Amazon.

I have found, while researching many, many of these devices for people here on CC, that the only truly effective way to find out if a device is surge protected or not, is to read the specification on the device itself, or to contact the manufacturer directly.

This isn't the model that we use, but, it will give you an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-EKYOUNG-Multiple-Charging-Station/dp/B071GJGVYX/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1528896757&sr=8-6&keywords=USB+plug+in+wall+multiple+outlet

Basically for us, we only needed to charge tablets and phones, so this is lighter and more useful for our needs.

This topic pops up on every message board. I just don't understand why in this day and age of electronics, that proper charging stations aren't part of the plans when designing a ship. If it is truly a safety issue, which I believe it is, than more consideration should be taken to provide this service. If I didn't read CC I would never have known that there would have been an issue with a device that has surge protection. Not many read CC so I am sure that there are plenty of surge protectors that go unnoticed.

This topic pops up on every message board. I just don't understand why in this day and age of electronics, that proper charging stations aren't part of the plans when designing a ship. If it is truly a safety issue, which I believe it is, than more consideration should be taken to provide this service. If I didn't read CC I would never have known that there would have been an issue with a device that has surge protection. Not many read CC so I am sure that there are plenty of surge protectors that go unnoticed.

The thing is, that USB chargers have no problem. I have yet to find a multi-USB charger (from one to 7 ports) that has any surge protection. It is only those items that combine power outlets with USB ports, or simple power strips that will have surge protection. Newer ships are incorporating USB ports in the cabins, and many ships are now renewing the bedside lamps to include USB ports.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the examples where third party sites like Amazon, or the seller "surge pro store" have made a false claim. If you go to the NTON site (the manufacturer), and look for this model number, and look at the specifications, it mentions "300 joules" of protection. This is a measure of surge protection, so this unit is surge protected, and should not be used on cruise ships, regardless of the advertising copy on Amazon.

I have found, while researching many, many of these devices for people here on CC, that the only truly effective way to find out if a device is surge protected or not, is to read the specification on the device itself, or to contact the manufacturer directly.

Thanks for letting me know. I am returning these (bought 2) to amazon and getting the model posted by Cigar King which happens to be on a lightning deal right now.

If the device is three prong, then it is surge protected. Only purchase one that has two prongs.

That is not correct. What I have stated in the past is that if the device has two prong plug, it cannot be surge protected. The opposite is not necessarily true, in other words the mere presence of a ground pin does not indicate surge protection any more than the third prong on an extension cord indicates surge protection. A device with a three prong plug may or may not be surge protected.

That is not correct. What I have stated in the past is that if the device has two prong plug, it cannot be surge protected. The opposite is not necessarily true, in other words the mere presence of a ground pin does not indicate surge protection any more than the third prong on an extension cord indicates surge protection. A device with a three prong plug may or may not be surge protected.

What if I had a surge protected device and I snipped off the ground pin. Would that make it safe to be used on the ship?

What if I had a surge protected device and I snipped off the ground pin. Would that make it safe to be used on the ship?

While that would remove the surge protection from the device, since it no longer has a path to ground, if you are using the power outlets on the device, you have removed any safety against shock if your device develops a ground. Of course, if you intend to solely use USB ports, or only plug in USB type chargers to the power outlets, then it would be okay, but not recommended, as someone could plug a power appliance into it without knowing there is no ground. I don't recommend using the 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, without using the wall plate screw as the ground, and even then you don't know for certain whether the outlet box is grounded or not. I have a 200 year old house that I have completely rewired to ensure that all outlets are up to code and grounded.

BTW - I also posted a review on amazon alerting others to the inaccurate description. My intention was to follow the rules and not create a potential hazard so I appreciate the guidance received here. :cool:

While that would remove the surge protection from the device, since it no longer has a path to ground, if you are using the power outlets on the device, you have removed any safety against shock if your device develops a ground. Of course, if you intend to solely use USB ports, or only plug in USB type chargers to the power outlets, then it would be okay, but not recommended, as someone could plug a power appliance into it without knowing there is no ground. I don't recommend using the 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, without using the wall plate screw as the ground, and even then you don't know for certain whether the outlet box is grounded or not. I have a 200 year old house that I have completely rewired to ensure that all outlets are up to code and grounded.

OK, I understand what you said here. However, I thought the reason that surge suppressors were not safe on ships was because the ground potential floats. So if the ground potential floats, does that connection still provide safety on ships? Is it because the dangerous (to surge devices) ground potential float is a transient thing that can cause surge device to fail, but the vast majority of the time it still provides the safety?

OK, I understand what you said here. However, I thought the reason that surge suppressors were not safe on ships was because the ground potential floats. So if the ground potential floats, does that connection still provide safety on ships? Is it because the dangerous (to surge devices) ground potential float is a transient thing that can cause surge device to fail, but the vast majority of the time it still provides the safety?

Okay, "floating" ground only means that neither of the two current carrying wires (hot and neutral for houses) are at the same potential as the ground. A volt meter from either current carrying wire to ground on a ship will show 60 v, and 120 v between the two current wires. In your house, hot to ground is 110v , neutral to ground is 0v, and hot to neutral is 110v.

No, ground is still ground, and provides your electrical shock safety, whether it is land based or shipboard. The problem on ships is that any current flowing to ground will pass through the hull to the sea. Now, a ship is not only steel, it is aluminum, bronze, copper, stainless steel, etc. So, when two dissimilar metals have current flowing through them in the presence of an electrolyte (sea water), the less noble metal will disappear due to electrolysis. We don't want either the hull steel, or our expensive bronze valves eroding away and causing leaks. So, we isolate the ground from the power circuit (your house bonds one of the two current carrying wires to ground at the breaker box, and current can flow in the neutral or ground wires and no one cares). This way, only when something has an insulation failure, will current flow to the hull. We monitor for this by connecting an ammeter and a very high resistance between the power circuits (3 phase) and ground. Then, when an insulation failure happens on a circuit, there is a return path to the other power wire in that circuit, through the resistor and ammeter. The ammeter will display current flow (actually read as resistance), and at a set level will give an alarm, so the engineers can locate the ground fault.

Sorry, that was a bit long.

Now, the problem with surge protectors is that they are not designed to experience reverse voltage. The MOV semi-conductor is designed to see a higher voltage in the hot wire than in the ground, and either the same voltage or higher in the neutral as the ground. On a ship, with the ground isolated from the "hot" and "neutral" wires, these MOV's may see higher voltage on the ground wire than on either the hot or neutral (say a 480 motor goes to ground, but due to resistance it is only putting 200 volts to ground). That 200 v is higher than the 110 v in either of the power legs, so the MOV is in reverse voltage. Each time an MOV is subjected to reverse voltage, it starts to degrade, and will fail either the first time or sometime in the future, and then it goes into "thermal runaway", which as I understand it is due to the molecular chemistry/physics of the semi-conductor, and results in high temperatures even without the presence of high current (so no breaker tripping), and subsequent possibility of fire.

I think I've answered your last question, the ground connection still provides safety, and it is not the floating ground, per se, that is dangerous to surge protectors, but that a ground failure somewhere far away on the ship can cause reverse voltage because there is a floating ground.

I think I've answered your last question, the ground connection still provides safety, and it is not the floating ground, per se, that is dangerous to surge protectors, but that a ground failure somewhere far away on the ship can cause reverse voltage because there is a floating ground.

Thanks for all of the detail, that is really helpful. It's clear this is the product I'll bring with me on my next cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3800-Watt-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B00VFDJGCE/

:')

-germ