Dress Code for Pre-teen boys in the MDR

First, let me say I am not wanting to start a debate, I have an honest question. My 12 year old son has had a huge growth spurt and I can't find pants for him to wear on our cruise. For reference he is 5'8 and 110 pounds with a 33 inch inseam. Is it appropriate for non-formal nights for him to wear nice khaki shorts with a collared type polo shirt? I am well aware of the debate on shorts in the MDR, but what about for children? What is considered appropriate for kids to wear in the MDR?

Thank you for your help.

First, let me say I am not wanting to start a debate, I have an honest question. My 12 year old son has had a huge growth spurt and I can't find pants for him to wear on our cruise. For reference he is 5'8 and 110 pounds with a 33 inch inseam. Is it appropriate for non-formal nights for him to wear nice khaki shorts with a collared type polo shirt? I am well aware of the debate on shorts in the MDR, but what about for children? What is considered appropriate for kids to wear in the MDR?

Thank you for your help.

He will be fine on any night including formal night....

That will be just fine. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

-germ

Ugh I feel your pain. I HATE pants season. They just don’t make tall skinny.

Our son always does polo shirt with shorts for dinner. Never gotten a bad look and just think as soon as they sit you can’t even tell if they have pants or shorts.

Previous poster gave you a solution for long pants. Signs outside the dining room at dinner specifically state that shorts are not allowed. Many people break this rule. It's up to you whether you want to follow the suggested dress code or break the rule that is there for all to see. Using what others are wearing just doesn't cut it for my family.

Yes. He'll look better than many adults who have no excuses other than "it's my vacation and I'll wear whatever I want".

Paula

Add a bow tie on formal nights and he will be dressed better than 80% of adults. No tie, better than 50%. And most kids wear tennis shoes to dinner.

But if they do enforce the no shorts rule while you are sailing, what will he do if he doesn't have a single pair of long pants with him?

I also have a 12 yo boy and have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises in 5 years with him. They do not enforce this rule and certainly will not enforce it for a kid.

To the original poster - certainly don't buy anything he won't wear again just for this cruise. He will be fine in khaki's and a polo.

Previous poster gave you a solution for long pants. Signs outside the dining room at dinner specifically state that shorts are not allowed. Many people break this rule. It's up to you whether you want to follow the suggested dress code or break the rule that is there for all to see. Using what others are wearing just doesn't cut it for my family.

Hmmmmm.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

To OP as others have said, dress code suggestions are rarely enforced. He should be fine in a collared shirt and non-athletic shorts.

Not sure what ship you are sailing on and if there is an ice rink, but I would add if he plans to ice skate on board he will be required to wear long pants and full socks; and this is enforced.

Wouldn't hurt to pack a pair of jeans just in case he was turned away from MDR.

I really hate these debates. Someone is right and someone is wrong. My understanding of the definition of the word suggestion is that it is not something that can be enforced? So is it a suggestion or is it a rule (which can be enforced)? I don't see how anyone can say it is a suggestion that is rarely enforced--it can never be enforced if it is just a suggestion. It seems to me if I read the link from two posts above these are only suggestions and the only rules (per the bottom of that link)are no tank tops and no barefeet.

Thank you for your kind responses. Those of you who are saying to buy pants or go to the thrift store are not understanding my dilemma. I am not unwilling to purchase pants, I cannot find ones that fit. His waist is 26 inches at best, his inseam is 33 inches. Short of having tailor made pants, they don't make ones that fit. I did order ones from Amazon the smallest you can find in the waist is 28 inches. They would not stay up. This is the reason I was asking if he could wear nice shorts. Shorts are easier to fit at this age.

Thank you to those that provided answers.

Thank you for your kind responses. Those of you who are saying to buy pants or go to the thrift store are not understanding my dilemma. I am not unwilling to purchase pants, I cannot find ones that fit. His waist is 26 inches at best, his inseam is 33 inches. Short of having tailor made pants, they don't make ones that fit. I did order ones from Amazon the smallest you can find in the waist is 28 inches. They would not stay up. This is the reason I was asking if he could wear nice shorts. Shorts are easier to fit at this age.

So then he'll be right in style.;p

I googled mens pants 26 X 33 and got a bunch of hits, might want to try that.:)

Here is a link to a JC Penney option:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/arizona-original-flex-chino-pants/pp5006840230?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=52350000042&selectedLotId=5235000&fromBag=true&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_campaign=flat%20front%20pants&utm_content=52350000042&cid=cse|bing|002%20%2d%20mens|flat%20front%20pants_52350000042&kwid=bingproductads-adid^77653064139312-device^c-plaid^4581252637437423-sku^52350000042@ADL10BMC-adType^PLA

To OP as others have said, dress code suggestions are rarely enforced. He should be fine in a collared shirt and non-athletic shorts.

Not sure what ship you are sailing on and if there is an ice rink, but I would add if he plans to ice skate on board he will be required to wear long pants and full socks; and this is enforced.

Wouldn't hurt to pack a pair of jeans just in case he was turned away from MDR.

To add to my above post, noted someone has already provided links for purchasing pants. OP you indicated you are not opposed to buying pants, but just couldn't find. Again, my above post indicated I doubt they would question shorts. However, many places sell boys/young men's sizes in slim fit.

Recommend Lands End - my grandsons are tall, athletic build, and are required to wear Docker type pants to school. Lands End sells the sizes you are talking about in their boys section. You may find inner seams in two inch increments like 30, 32 etc., but waist sizes cover slim to husky.

Enjoy your cruise.

Once my son outgrew the slim sizes at Gap/Old Navy and similar we starting getting pants/jean at American Eagle. He is usually a 28X32. The 28 waist is a bit big, but not big enough to fall down. He does wear a belt with nicer pants but if he is just wearing jeans he doesn't need to.

Pants can be difficult to shop for. I used to get my daughters pants at The Buckle when we had one nearby. The store associates are really helpful with finding brands that fit better and they hem for free. With my daughters pants I was then able to let them out as she grew taller which was a bonus! We don't live near a store location anymore so I don't know if they still offer the free hemming but it may be worth looking into if you live near a store since you will likely eventually need to buy pants for your son.

For me when buying slacks/pants, I need to try them on as brands can vary on how they fit. I can buy blouses online but not slacks or jeans

I'm guessing from the name in your signature that you are female? Ladies sizes tend to vary from brand to brand far more than men's sizes, which are generally based on waist and inseam measurements and therefore much more consistent from brand to brand.

The OP stated she wasn't opposed to purchasing pants, and folks have listed several sources that carry the size she needs for her son. Hopefully she has seen those!