Alaska Live, July 17th - 27th. Just the tip of the iceberg.

06c857d775d192bd16a0ecfb69f53447.jpg

“The day is coming, and it ain't going to be long, when you ain't even gonna have to leave your living room. No more schools, no more bodegas, no more tabernacles, no more cineplexes. You're going to snuggle up to your fiber optics baby and bliss out.”

Chris Stevens. KBHR 570 AM Radio Cecily, Alaska. November 15, 1993.

These quotes take me back to my late teen years and two classic 90s TV shows that I watched weekly, Northern Exposure and Twin Peaks. NE was based in Alaska and filmed in Oregon and TP was filmed and based in Oregon. Both featured nature’s beauty and the unique characters found in their communities. Through the art of television, they transported their viewers to the wild and connected them to nature.

Over the next 10 days or so my plan is to do the same for you. Along the way I will stitch in a few quotes from both of these shows. Chris in the morning was right about folks blissing out with fibre optics, and that was more than 20 years ago.

5a1b08ab8ab03c0ffabbde3ac1aa495d.jpg

Get ready folks, I am going live!

It’s time to snuggle up to your fibre optics baby and bliss out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since I don’t want to be a cruise tease, here is a picture of our ship.

e09acad30f666c183e2e0b08f992dc71.jpg

Whoa there... what was that Lisa? Harmony doesn’t go to Alaska? Hold on a second, why am I finding that out now? What the....

Following!

This will be the only way I see Alaska for now. Living not too far from you myself, I cannot give up my warm summers to go to somewhere colder [emoji6]

Sabrina

After this last dry, hot spell I am looking forward a reprieve. Looking forward to the locals saying in Alaska complaining about the “heat”, and the Floridians complaining about the cold.

Ruh roh! Lock the doors, hide the children.... Andrew's at it again! [emoji6]

Sent from my Google Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Especially with my MIL taking along. Lord knows who we will be found hanging out with.

Yay, another A&L_ONT live cruise review! [emoji7] Have a wonderful time, Andrew and Lisa :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. We have some fun stuff planned for this cruise.

Wait did Radiance get a flowrider????

It will be there this Friday. I ordered it through gifts and gear. It is an option only available to D+ Members, who know the secret hand shake.

Edit to add: also have had to won the best of the best at least once as well. ;)

Will look forward to your review to get more excited when we go in September on Explorer. We've done Radiance to Alaska & Hawaii. I think this is my favorite class in the fleet.

I enjoyed reading your reviews

We haven’t been on Radiance since 2006, Vancouver to Hawaii sailing so it will be nice to return. I have a soft spot for this class, after being on her and Serenade for Alaska previously.

By now, most of you already know the drill. If you do, skip this post like a choose your own adventure, and join me at the next one.

However, if this is your first live review tagging along with me, my name is Andrew (A&L_Ont). For those of you who have followed before, you have a good idea of what to expect. If you haven't continue reading, and if you like it expand my signature to see my past reviews.

So for the newbies, let me quickly inform you what type of review you will get, at least from me. There should/could be hourly posts, and at minimum a few times a day. They will be off the cuff, contain pictures and whatever else I feel like adding. I will do my best to answer your questions just like an excursion guide, and I just might make up the answers if I don't know them. There might even be a few incriminating photos of my cabin mates.

There will be periscopes from land and sea -- thanks to Wi-Fi and data plans from work. I will do a quick periscope Monday just to make sure we are connected. You can follow me at Andrew_1720 for further periscope adventures.

Now back to the fresh material.

It’s soon time, pack your bug spray and virtual bags. I can guarantee we won’t find out if a tree makes a noise when it falls in the forest but we might find out if a bear craps in the woods. I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Lord, have mercy! Who let this hack start another review? :') Does Cruise Critic not have any kinds of standards at all? Moderator Bob! Asleep on the job?

Is Owen with you? Has he done Alaska before? What adventures do you have planned in the ports? Let me know if you see Sally Sue. This should be great, I'm ready for a good time. :cool::cool:

Have you ever been to the Alaskan Riviera before? Sounds exotic doesn’t it?

Maureen to answer your question, we have, twice previously. Unlike Dr Joel Fleischman we didn’t find it a “Godforsaken hole-in-the-wall, pigsty with a bunch of dirty, psychotic rednecks”, like he did.

Now for your question about Owen, he hasn’t but there is a story for later in the review. As for Sharon, she has been once previously. We sent her and Art for their 40th anniversary, ten years ago, to which it was their first cruise. We know he will be with us in spirit as he always wanted to return.

Just like the 2017 reboot of Twin Peaks, we have decided to return. I know I’m not going to find Agent Copper or the log lady and I know I won’t be flown anywhere by Maggie O'Connell. However, I can dream. I will however find myself a damn fine cup of coffee and avoid the raisin pie that will kill me.

If you haven’t been before this is your chance. Join our crew of the usual suspects. Lisa my wife, Owen our 11 year old son, Sharon my MIL, and I will be on this adventure which isn’t found “live” on Cruise Critic that often.

Why isn’t it found live you ask? Alaska live reviews do not happen due to the fact that our ship has dial up Internet. I understand that she runs a retractable ethernet cable from port to port, much like an extension cord. A fact that Marconi himself would be proud of.

Wooohoooi! Been waiting patiently for this one 🤗🤗 🍷

Safe travels to you and your beloved crew, Andrew! Does Radiance have a Park Cafe in the solarium? If so, avoid the cole slaw....you know what they attempt to cleverly hide in there 🤢

Chris

Lord, have mercy! Who let this hack start another review? :') Does Cruise Critic not have any kinds of standards at all? Moderator Bob! Asleep on the job?

What adventures do you have planned in the ports? Let me know if you see Sally Sue. This should be great, I'm ready for a good time. [emoji41][emoji41]

We booked it when we knew Bob was away with the Villain. Immunity will be mine. As fo Sally Sue, I will keep my eyes open for your bear. As for excursions you will have to wait and see.

Hopping aboard! Looking forward to your report

Thanks for joining us.

Have fun! We loved Radiance last month :). Haven’t used our ulu knife/board set, but feel all happy when I use my glacier soap :)

Thanks for getting her ready for us, as well as answering questions along the way.

He didn't tell you? He's going to surf one of the chunks of ice!

Or the ice in my glass.

Of course I have to follow - you followed me on my adventure [emoji41]

I also want to thank you for the tips as well. It was greatly appreciated. We will see if our son sleeps as much as yours.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Following along !!

I picture an Alaskan live report being something like Eddie Albert on Green Acres at the top of the telephone pole.

mac_tlc

It could be. I hope I don’t get kicked off for climbing the funnel.

I've been waiting for this! :D

You and me both.

Yah! Following along. Love your reviews! Safe travels.

Thank you.

Wooohoooi! Been waiting patiently for this one [emoji847][emoji847] [emoji485]

Safe travels to you and your beloved crew, Andrew! Does Radiance have a Park Cafe in the solarium? If so, avoid the cole slaw....you know what they attempt to cleverly hide in there 🤢

Chris

Thanks a Chris for the raisin warning. Someone should be fired over that, hands down.

Wow, I can't believe Owen is 11 y.o. now. He was around 9 when I saw your first review. Now, just to ensure we are on the same page, that doesn't mean you and Lisa have age. [emoji39]

You got it. He’s aged, but we sure haven’t. ;)

I got my parka ready for the ride.

LOL, you must live in the south. I have a sweater and a waterproof shell. :)