Question about Bags (and do bags get lost?)

Im sure if I dig around enough I can find this answer, but not immediately seeing it so I will just post a question.

From what I am reading, my understanding is that I cannot carry-on a bag onto RC if its bigger than a carry-on bag for domestic flights. So what happens to the bigger bag? Do i drop it off when we check in? Just wondering if I should avoid a bigger bag if at all possible. Is it like the airlines where the bag might not make it on the boat? At least with the airlines, they deliver your bag to you at the destination (if you are there long enough). I don't think I would get my bag in the Caribbean.

Also, is it more hassle to deal with a bag that you have to check?'

We are doing a 9-day cruise. 9 days of clothes + snorkel gear for the family + my laptop + formal night clothing (suit) is a bit much and it would be easier to bring a large bag (especially since we are driving to the cruise, not flying)

There are porters when you pull up to disembark that take your luggage. (Please tip them!). Make sure you have your tags from your set sail pass on the luggage you're dropping off. It will be at your door later that night. I've never heard of luggage being lost as it goes through scanners then on to the ship in holding.

Sometimes, luggage is taken to the "naughty room" as scanners picked up something not permitted. You will have a letter in your room telling you to go down and pick it up, and you will have to open it in front of the ship security so they can see what it is. Then you can bring it up.

Yes, you can carry on a carry on bag.

There are porters when you pull up to disembark that take your luggage. (Please tip them!). Make sure you have your tags from your set sail pass on the luggage you're dropping off. It will be at your door later that night. I've never heard of luggage being lost as it goes through scanners then on to the ship in holding.

Sometimes, luggage is taken to the "naughty room" as scanners picked up something not permitted. You will have a letter in your room telling you to go down and pick it up, and you will have to open it in front of the ship security so they can see what it is. Then you can bring it up.

Yes, you can carry on a carry on bag.

Yes, I know you can carry on a carry-on bag. My question is more about bags that are larger than a carry-on. It sounds like you are suggesting that luggage is never lost.

yes luggage gets lost or delayed. however it happens rarely( even more rarely than airlines) the scanners used for carry on is the exact same as the airlines use.

keep in mind that unless you are in a Star Class Suite, cabins are not available to drop stuff off until 1 pm.

also about half way through they will offer a 'stuff the bag' wash and fold special for a reasonable cost. perfect for tee shirts and undies.

The bags are dropped off as you check in, right by the ship. It's pretty hard to lose them. One person posted a few years ago that their bag was dropped in the ocean accidentally.

Not tipping porters probably increases the odds of it getting lost considerably.

They may not show up in your room for awhile, so put anything you need in your carry on, and remember it isn't TSA so no restrictions on liquids.

Luggage can be "lost" but it will get on the ship. In all our cruises we've only ever had 1 bag not make it to our room, and that was because the luggage tag got damaged while they were loading it on the ship and they couldn't read the room number. We went to guest services, described the bag, and they got it for us no problem.

As soon as we got home I bought these luggage tag holders: https://amzn.to/2NUvhT3 Don't have to worry about the tag ripping, or getting wet, or otherwise being damaged at all, so provided us with piece of mind

You will be on the ship for a few hours before you can get into your room. So I only carry the items I can never be without like my medicine, swimsuit change, ID i need to get onto the ship (passport), money & credit cards and jewelry. Depending on your cruise line and your preferences you also might want to bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin to pour/drink in your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Luggage can be misplaced. Last year my son & daughter in law was on the Anthem of the seas. My sons luggage didn’t make it to the room. When they asked about it at the reception area, they said it would turn up. This was before the ship left the pier. As it turned out they left the luggage on the pier. This was found out three days into the cruise. They gave my son $300 to buy new clothes. Then they told him to cross pack. Put half of your wife and your clothes in each suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I went on the Allure in 2013 for our honeymoon and our luggage hadn’t been delivered at 9:00 pm. We were freaking out to say the least. Guest services said they would find it. They also said they were very proud of the fact that Allure, to that point, had zero missing bags ever.

Bags were in front of our door at 9:20. They were picked up by accident by a couple who brought them in their cabin and then left for dinner without ever opening it.

1. All you need to do is drop the bag with the porter. Unlike airlines, the ship is directly in front of you, and the bags go straight to that ship. Kind of tough to get lost. However, on the ship, the bags are delivered by ship personal, and yes, sometimes they get to the wrong floor etc. Eventually, the couple of bags misplaced, will show up.

2. NO NEED TO TIP THE PORTER - and if you look, you might even find a sign that states that. The "porter" only places a bag on a cart. That cart, is touched by a dozen people, after that first person. Don't get the confused as a real porter that delivers a bag to your room or destination. Think of them as the person on the airplane as you look outside the window. They chuck the bag onto a cart, or belt. That's all they do. No one tips those people.

While I’ve not heard of any getting totally lost, I did share a table at lunch in the WJ once with a lady whose bag landed in the water. She got free dry cleaning/pressing/laundering for everything in the bag but it did take a while.

Edited by gerif
Left out words

From what I am reading, my understanding is that I cannot carry-on a bag onto RC if its bigger than a carry-on bag for domestic flights.

That is incorrect. I’ve witnessed passengers dragging around multiple full size suitcases on many of my cruises. But, unless you don’t intend to arrive earlier than when the cabins are ready (typically 1-1:30), I recommend just carrying on a smaller bag with your essentials as previously mentioned.

~ Judy

I always take a photo of our luggage.

It helped on Disney. They held my suitcase and never called me to tell me. I found out when I went to customer service and showed them a photo. It was held because of my makeup mirror that had a cord. They called it a “hot plate”.

We always pack half and half in two suitcases that we take. Just in case. Except when we’re coming back home.

I always wrap the tags with packing tape. Put it length wise on both sides.

On our last cruise with HAL, they broke the handle on my suitcase. The funny part is that the tag was still on the piece of handle left. I complained and within hours they fixed the handle and it looks brand new.

That is incorrect. I’ve witnessed passengers dragging around multiple full size suitcases on many of my cruises. But, unless you don’t intend to arrive earlier than when the cabins are ready (typically 1-1:30), I recommend just carrying on a smaller bag with your essentials as previously mentioned.

~ Judy

I can't imagine a full size suitcase fitting in the x-ray machines they have at boarding. I wonder if they have special screening in that situation

2. NO NEED TO TIP THE PORTER - and if you look, you might even find a sign that states that. The "porter" only places a bag on a cart. That cart, is touched by a dozen people, after that first person. Don't get the confused as a real porter that delivers a bag to your room or destination. Think of them as the person on the airplane as you look outside the window. They chuck the bag onto a cart, or belt. That's all they do. No one tips those people.

I've never seen a sign saying not to tip the porters and many people do. I do agree that they don't really deserve much (if anything) for the minimal amount of work that they do. When we sailed on Oasis several years ago, I had to wait several minutes for one of them to just put my bags on the cart. I should have just done it myself.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I can't imagine a full size suitcase fitting in the x-ray machines they have at boarding. I wonder if they have special screening in that situation
Full size bags fit through scanner in PC.

That is how the Genies get the Star Class luggage aboard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Only once heard of luggage not getting loaded onto the ship. That was when a chartered bus brought a group to the port and one under-bus compartment was later found not to have been opened and emptied. Not the cruise lines fault.

However, this happened to us upon demarcation one time. We were short one suitcase and the departure hall was virtually empty except for a few other passengers also looking for a missing bag. It didn’t take a math major to figure out that several missing bags had to add up to something! They finally found a baggage cart that had been moved aside from its assigned area to make room for something else and so was overlooked. Don’t know the true story, but a little insistence that we weren’t crazy finally made for a search and all luggage was returned to rightful owners. None missing in the end.