Text Communication While on Cruise - Anthem of the Seas

Greetings,

Headed out to Bermuda and the Caribbean on July 26 out of Cape Liberty on Anthem of the Seas. It is my in laws 50th wedding anniversary and they are taking us and our two boys (ages 16 and 13) on the cruise.

With two teenagers we wanted to have a way to communicate with them occasionally so they can do some exploration on their own.

I have been reading these boards - so very helpful btw - and also the internet to see the most economical way to stay in touch by text while on board.

I have read that Royal Iq is helpful and also have read that WhatsApp is useful as well. I would love to hear from experienced cruisers which way is best. And - do I need to purchase the daily fee for each device we wish to use.

Really the only thing we would be communicating is where to meet, where are you, etc. We do not need streaming or anything else - really looking for them - and us- to disconnect for 9 days.

Certainly if there is a resource where this information is please share the link and I would happily go there.

Thank you in advance for any information.

When I was on Anthem last year in March I was able to send iMessages from the messages app on my iPhone, without paying for the internet. My phone was in airplane mode but still connected to the wifi, and I was able to text other people with iPhones, I don't know if non-iPhones work or not. It's important to note that if this method still works you can only send text, pictures and videos don't work. I have no idea if this still works or not, this was in March 2017, but hopefully it does!

When I was on Anthem last year in March I was able to send iMessages from the messages app on my iPhone, without paying for the internet. My phone was in airplane mode but still connected to the wifi, and I was able to text other people with iPhones, I don't know if non-iPhones work or not. It's important to note that if this method still works you can only send text, pictures and videos don't work. I have no idea if this still works or not, this was in March 2017, but hopefully it does!

I recently got off the Anthem, and the iMessage system is still working. The nice thing is that some of us had iPhones, but others had only iPads. It worked well on both. It did NOT require Internet packages. Another option for the OP is loading the Royal IQ app (from home) and then paying $7.95 per phone for their texting plan. That would work if you don’t have Apple devices.

Other messaging apps sometimes work, sometimes don't. We could often receive messages but not send without the internet package using Hangouts on an Android phone

If you don’t have iPhones, the messaging option through the Royal IQ app is $7.95 per device for the entire cruise. If you use WhatsApp, each device will need a voom package, meaning a daily charge for each device in the $14-$17 range.

I just got off Anthem on the June 28th sailing. As long as you have an iPhone, your normal iMessage works. My 20 year old son was thrilled he could still text his girlfriend back home. It was great to be able to text family thru normal texting and not the Royal IQ app.

I always did old school on cruises and left sticky notes for the kids about times and places to meet for dinner in the morning, was always up before them so it always worked. I had a card so I could get into their stateroom and left any message I needed to during the day, this always worked for us.

Hi! We just boarded the anthem of the seas and trying to test the iMessage out with just the Royal WiFi on and airplane mode on. It doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks for your help!

Possible they plugged the firewall hole.

Hi! We just boarded the anthem of the seas and trying to test the iMessage out with just the Royal WiFi on and airplane mode on. It doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks for your help!

Possible they plugged the firewall hole.

You might need the Royal IQ app loaded and running. Try to do something through the app to verify your WiFi connection is live, then try an iMessage.

This is off topic BUT. I have been reading on CC that the mattresses on Anthem are very uncomfortable. Any thoughts as we will be cruising in September and would like to know others opinions. Thanks.

It honestly depends on the person, but I thought the mattresses were definitely on the firmer side, but not uncomfortable (standard balcony cabin 10184). Again everyone is different so some might think its uncomfortable but others may not.

Update: after a few more tries, the iMessage does work on board without having to purchase any internet packages. Thanks again for your replies!

Did you have to download the Royal IQ app?

We just ended our cruise and it worked beautifully. When you put airplane mode on, the WiFi goes off. Put it back on and it will go to royal WiFi. Then text as usual. It was fast and I used it to text the 9 others in our group who all had iPhones. I also texted friends at home with iPhones. I WAS able to send photos as well as videos. Try it again. We used it multiple times a day. Enjoy your cruise. We did.

We just returned last week on Anthem and as long as you have the Royal IQ app downloaded on your iPhones and hooked up to the Royal wi-fi you can text (imessage) other iPhones only. Androids do not work. Make sure you have your iPhone on airplane mode. I was able to keep in touch with family at home this way. We purchased a wi-fi package to share as we needed to keep in touch with someone back home that has an android phone and also to surf the internet if we wanted to. Worked out perfectly!

We just ended our cruise and it worked beautifully. When you put airplane mode on, the WiFi goes off. Put it back on and it will go to royal WiFi. Then text as usual. It was fast and I used it to text the 9 others in our group who all had iPhones. I also texted friends at home with iPhones. I WAS able to send photos as well as videos. Try it again. We used it multiple times a day. Enjoy your cruise. We did.

Will this only work on specific ships? I will be on Serenade of the Seas in about a week and would like to do this.