Crossing South China Seas During Early February

Ethanol95

Hello, I'm sailing on Celebrity Millenium's 7 Night South East Asia in Feb 2019 visiting ports in Vietnam and disembarking in Hong Kong. I'd just like to hear how the seas were from your experiences around this time of year. Also, this is my 2nd cruise in 'open' waters. The first was in the med but was lucky to have calm seas almost like glass for majority of it. I'm slightly worried that waves might be bigger than I anticipated as I have old folks (mid-80's-90) with me. Please enlighten me! :)

We were a bit north along the coast of China, calm waters and fog. And again in Halong Bay, calm water again. That is no guarantee though!

Age has no influence on seasickness. Bring doctor approved motion sickness medication for the old folks and hope for the best.

Hello, I'm sailing on Celebrity Millenium's 7 Night South East Asia in Feb 2019 visiting ports in Vietnam and disembarking in Hong Kong. I'd just like to hear how the seas were from your experiences around this time of year. Also, this is my 2nd cruise in 'open' waters. The first was in the med but was lucky to have calm seas almost like glass for majority of it. I'm slightly worried that waves might be bigger than I anticipated as I have old folks (mid-80's-90) with me. Please enlighten me! :)

We did a back to back on Celebrity Constellation in February this year - 27 nights. We had 2 or 3 days of roughish seas and missed one port. I took sea sickness tablets but my husband didn’t bother and was fine. Rest of the time the seas were fine.

We were a bit north along the coast of China, calm waters and fog. And again in Halong Bay, calm water again. That is no guarantee though!

Age has no influence on seasickness. Bring doctor approved motion sickness medication for the old folks and hope for the best.

That's a good idea! Looks like you were lucky this time!

We did a back to back on Celebrity Constellation in February this year - 27 nights. We had 2 or 3 days of roughish seas and missed one port. I took sea sickness tablets but my husband didn’t bother and was fine. Rest of the time the seas were fine.

Which ports were you closest to when you experienced the 2-3 days of rough seas?

Which ports were you closest to when you experienced the 2-3 days of rough seas?

The port we missed was Nha Trang so rough seas were going up the coast of Vietnam from the port for Saigon to Chan May the port for Hue or Danang. We sailed some of this area again 10 days later and that was ok.

As I said I took medication. I feel sea movement more than my husband. Because we were back to back and did not want to move cabins we had less choice of cabin and were much nearer the front of the ship than we usually choose to be.

I wouldn’t worry too much as we’ve certainly experienced worse seas in other parts of the world.

The port we missed was Nha Trang so rough seas were going up the coast of Vietnam from the port for Saigon to Chan May the port for Hue or Danang. We sailed some of this area again 10 days later and that was ok.

As I said I took medication. I feel sea movement more than my husband. Because we were back to back and did not want to move cabins we had less choice of cabin and were much nearer the front of the ship than we usually choose to be.

I wouldn’t worry too much as we’ve certainly experienced worse seas in other parts of the world.

Ahh.. thanks RJHNorthyorks. That's exactly where im sailing too. I have got a midship cabin on the hump on the 6th deck. Hopefully if there is rough seas, that would minimize the rocking motion.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Ahh.. thanks RJHNorthyorks. That's exactly where im sailing too. I have got a midship cabin on the hump on the 6th deck. Hopefully if there is rough seas, that would minimize the rocking motion.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a better located cabin than we had. It’s an amazing area. Hope you have a great time. Ros.

We did a South China Sea cruise a number of years ago, round trip from Hong Kong going to Philippines, 3 ports in Vietnam, 2 ports in Borneo and as far as Singapore. We went in October and regretted it, though the cruise was excellent and luckily we did make all ports between the two Typhoons we sailed through, though changed our plan to travel independently to Hoi An from Da Nang as it was just after a Typhoon and there were a lot of floods etc. No problem as Da Nang turned out to be one of our favorite ports. The ship's trip did go, but there were floods and they had to changes some aspects of the tour. Ports often have to be skipped at that time of year, so we counted ourselves lucky only missing good sea days, to which we had also been looking forward.

Regards the weather, the Typhoon season over there is the same as the hurricane season in the Caribbean. Our Filipino cabin steward said that the problems used to be mainly October and thereabouts, but now because of the changes of climate there, there can be problems until the end of the year. Hence he advised after Christmas as the best time to go. I presume that does not mean there will be flat seas all the time at the beginning of the year, but should certainly be better than the end of the year.

Hope you enjoy your cruise to a wonderful area of the world.

We did a South China Sea cruise a number of years ago, round trip from Hong Kong going to Philippines, 3 ports in Vietnam, 2 ports in Borneo and as far as Singapore. We went in October and regretted it, though the cruise was excellent and luckily we did make all ports between the two Typhoons we sailed through, though changed our plan to travel independently to Hoi An from Da Nang as it was just after a Typhoon and there were a lot of floods etc. No problem as Da Nang turned out to be one of our favorite ports. The ship's trip did go, but there were floods and they had to changes some aspects of the tour. Ports often have to be skipped at that time of year, so we counted ourselves lucky only missing good sea days, to which we had also been looking forward.

Regards the weather, the Typhoon season over there is the same as the hurricane season in the Caribbean. Our Filipino cabin steward said that the problems used to be mainly October and thereabouts, but now because of the changes of climate there, there can be problems until the end of the year. Hence he advised after Christmas as the best time to go. I presume that does not mean there will be flat seas all the time at the beginning of the year, but should certainly be better than the end of the year.

Hope you enjoy your cruise to a wonderful area of the world.

Thanks for your insight Tring! February is well out of typhoon season so i'm hopeful that it won't be too bad!