Planning questions

Newmrsvega

ok starting to plan my husbands and I’s 5 year anniversary cruise to Hawaii. Few questions

1. Best time of year to go?

2. Best cruise line? Best itinerary ?

3. Best embarkation port?

4. What are the time frames that I should really be looking at in the ports?? For example I see some are one day in Honolulu and others are overnight?? Pros cons?

5. Any suggestions of any type to get me started on the journey of planning very welcome :)

Some reading around would be very beneficial. And some defining of what you think is "best". That is a very vague term, and means lots of different things to different people.

There are dozens of discussions here about the differences between a Pride of America 7 day cruise, a West Coast 14-16 day cruise, and doing a land vacation instead. There are "bests" to each of these.

There are only 5 ports in Hawaii for cruise ships...most cruises hit 4 of them, some hit all 5. Some stay two nights in several ports, some don't stay two nights in any port.

As to when is the "best" time to go, that is also quite vague. As discussed here almost daily, the weather doesn't vary much year around. A little warmer in summer...but beach weather virtually every day of the year. Whale watching is very popular, but is limited to December-March.

Again, some research on your part would narrow these tremendously vague questions.

Some reading around would be very beneficial. And some defining of what you think is "best". That is a very vague term, and means lots of different things to different people.

There are dozens of discussions here about the differences between a Pride of America 7 day cruise, a West Coast 14-16 day cruise, and doing a land vacation instead. There are "bests" to each of these.

There are only 5 ports in Hawaii for cruise ships...most cruises hit 4 of them, some hit all 5. Some stay two nights in several ports, some don't stay two nights in any port.

As to when is the "best" time to go, that is also quite vague. As discussed here almost daily, the weather doesn't vary much year around. A little warmer in summer...but beach weather virtually every day of the year. Whale watching is very popular, but is limited to December-March.

Again, some research on your part would narrow these tremendously vague questions.

Thank you... will do

There’s no bad time to visit Hawaii! :)

I am not familiar with all the itineraries but a 14+ day cruise is not something we can do and I would not want all those sea days anyway. The NCL Pride of America leaves from Honolulu, visits all 4 islands and docks overnight on both Maui and Kauai. That is what we chose and we are going to stay on Oahu for 3 nights prior to the cruise.

ok starting to plan my husbands and I’s 5 year anniversary cruise to Hawaii. Few questions

1. Best time of year to go?

2. Best cruise line? Best itinerary ?

3. Best embarkation port?

4. What are the time frames that I should really be looking at in the ports?? For example I see some are one day in Honolulu and others are overnight?? Pros cons?

5. Any suggestions of any type to get me started on the journey of planning very welcome :)

We are going on our 3rd cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco soon. It's my favorite cruise itinerary to date. That said, we used to vacation in Kauai one month per year. Cruising to Hawaii is not going to allow you to really see Hawaii. Given the option for an anniversary, I would do a land trip because I could spend more time hiking, exploring, beach going, pool time, etc.

If you want to do a cruise, I love the 15 day cruise because it gives you lots of sea days and a minor glimpse of the islands. I have only done Princess, and have not done the cruise that goes around the Hawaiian Islands, so I cannot offer a comparison on cruises. I have also only cruised this itinerary in December. The first crossing was rough, the second smooth as glass. We will see what the next one brings.

I would likely prefer cruising out of Los Angeles, newer ships than the Grand, but the Grand is great, and at our home port so we will always pick the Grand for that reason. The crew on the Grand is amazing and my personal favorite.

You can't go wrong on whatever you plan for your anniversary!! Enjoy it!!

I would fly to Hawaii a few days to a week in advance, and then take the NCL cruise around the islands, if you have that kind of time. A cruise gives you only a wee taste of all the Islands have to offer. If you've never been, you will want more time ashore than a cruise will allow. A land-vacation will really let you experience Hawaii!

Another option to look at would be a repositioning cruise. Kinda the best of both....spending time cruising around the islands, and then a few extra days on the ship coming over to the mainland. You can also go to Honolulu a few days ahead of time for some pre-cruise relaxation.