Helicopter QUESTION

jhenry1

Their office for check-in is at the Harbor Mall... about a 10 minute walk from the port per this map

I think there's a shuttle that runs between the mall and port if you don't want to walk.

Suggest contacting BH to get accurate info though.

In Kauai where does Blue Helicopter pick you up?

Kandy

If you are referring to Blue Hawaiian, they picked us up at the gate at the peir in a shuttle to their office and heliport near the airport. I believe there is a company with checkin at the mall, but it is not Blue Hawaiian, at least it wasn't in 2014. We booked direct with BH and they provided the free shuttle to and from. Sorry if this is not who you were inquiring about. I googled Blue helicopter and got nothing.

Even better if they provide a shuttle from the port now - when we were there (before PunnkinCC's visit), check-in was at Harbor Mall and then they shuttled us to the heliport.

They still show a Harbor Mall check in on their website website - but maybe the info needs updating.... my reason for suggesting contacting the company for details.

It's a great tour ... enjoy!:)

Yes, definately call them direct to inquire. Things can change at any time, but hopefully the check in still at the office where the the tour leaves from. This would save you time over getting to the mall office and then having to travel again to get to the actual heliport.

They are organized to the T. You sign in at the desk ( and are weighed, although you may not be aware of it ) and then have time to store any extras that won't fit in pockets like purse, etc in lockers, make a bathroom stop, and then you are gathered for a short safety film after which you are given your seat assignment. After that you are taken through the outside doors to a covered porch where you watch the tour immediately before yours load into 3 or 4 helicopters. Your copters will be landing immediately after the others have taken off. You are then taken out to your spot near your copter to be loaded one person at a time by a crew person and strapped in. Seating assignment is assigned by the crew based on weight distribution. But there are no bad seats. You can take onboard a camera and sunglasses and thats about it. Don't wear a white top or jacket due to reflections in the glass.

Edited by punkincc

Thank you all for the info. I will give them a call. You all know so much which ports have shops and etc at the ports and which ones are industrial?

Kandy

Kona has lots of shops, etc just off the ship. There is also a nice Farmers Market with lots of souvenir type things a few blocks down. Go right from the shore. We did a private tour in the am and we had them drop us there in the afternoon, and we walked and shopped our way back to the tenders.

Hilo has a very nice downtown, also with a very nice Farmers Market, but you would need a taxi or shuttle to get there. But a short ride. We did the same thing, toured in the am and hit downtown for a late lunch and shopping before returning to the ship.

Maui. Very industrial port area. You will want to be out seeing the island for two full days, but if you go by Lahaina, about an hour away, there is tons of shopping there.

Kauai. About 2 blocks away is Kalapacki Bay which is fronted by shops and big hotels like the Mariott which back up onto a very nice shaded beach. There are a couple shuttles which run to the area, or it's a nice walk. We have gone there on the morning of our last day when the ship leaves early afternoon. Lunch and drinks at Dukes outdoor bar at the Mariott. They also have a beautiful botanical garden enclosed by the hotel you can walk around in.

• 1 year later...

When I called Blue Hawaiian in Maui, they said they do not provide transportation and we would have to get to them ourselves. I don't know that it's worth the hassle to get a rental car just to get to the helicopter & back. Does anyone know if there are taxi's already waiting around at the port in Maui?

• 2 weeks later...

Just another question on Blue Hawaiian in Kauai. I would doing the tour with my husband. If they assign seats does that mean there is a chance I won't be sitting with him? I would hope one of us has a window seat and can lean over the other!

Just another question on Blue Hawaiian in Kauai. I would doing the tour with my husband. If they assign seats does that mean there is a chance I won't be sitting with him? I would hope one of us has a window seat and can lean over the other!

Yes, you may not be sitting next to each other. My son and I were next to each other in the back and my wife was in the front. It’s done by weight. Every seat is good. I wasn’t next to the window and these are some pics I took.

5d6491e2ae3a4c65710ffb2556334fb4.jpg

When I called Blue Hawaiian in Maui, they said they do not provide transportation and we would have to get to them ourselves. I don't know that it's worth the hassle to get a rental car just to get to the helicopter & back. Does anyone know if there are taxi's already waiting around at the port in Maui?

We rented a car and took a shuttle to the airport. We went to the desk at the airport, told them we would pick up the car after our helicopter tour. Easy peasy. After the helicopter tour, We picked up the car, went to lunch and to a local park then returned the car. Then we took the shuttle back to port. It wasn’t that expensive either. I think I remember reading that it was hard to get a taxi in Maui or too expensive which is why we rented the car.

• 9 months later...
If you are referring to Blue Hawaiian, they picked us up at the gate at the peir in a shuttle to their office and heliport near the airport. I believe there is a company with checkin at the mall, but it is not Blue Hawaiian, at least it wasn't in 2014. We booked direct with BH and they provided the free shuttle to and from. Sorry if this is not who you were inquiring about. I googled Blue helicopter and got nothing.

We are planning on taking the BH shuttle in Kauai to the Heliport for our helicopter ride. We want to pick up our rental car at Thrify after our ride. BH says they can only return us to the pier. Any ideas on how to get to the car rental place? Its less than a mile but it doesn't look like a road you can/should be walking along. Thank you!