Excursions in Kauai

sherick

This is my first time posting (ever)!

My husband and I will be stopping in Kauai on a cruise in late September. The ship's excursions are very expensive and we were wondering if there are any excursions that we can do with local providers, either booking before the cruise or getting when we get off the ship.

Anyone have any experience with excursions in Kauai they can share? Thanks

Kauai was our favorite island and I would encourage you to try to see all that you can see while there. Our excursion was through our cruise line. We went to Laydon Beach, Opaekaa Falls, Poipu Beach, Spouting Horn, and Waimea Canyon. If we ever go back, I would feel comfortable enough to rent a car and go to these places on my own.

My husband and I will be stopping in Kauai on a cruise in late September. The ship's excursions are very expensive and we were wondering if there are any excursions that we can do with local providers, either booking before the cruise or getting when we get off the ship.

We booked a multiple island package through Roberts Tours and were very happy. On Kauai, it was the Movie Tour. We also rented a car and it's not a difficult drive to see Waimea Canyon, also Poipu Beach was a great spot.

Renting a car is a good idea if you want to tour the island. Check out Waimea canyon, the red dirt and the view are beautiful. Stop at the Coffee plantation on your way there. The beaches in Poipu will be nice and safe in September (North Shore can have more dangerous seas from October to March). There will be some nice excursions you can do through the cruise line but you can do some of that on your own if you rent a car.

Kauai is beautiful.

sherick which cruise are you taking? Will you have 1 or 2 days there? My recommendations will be different depending on number of days.

I have the same question. I will be in Kauai (Nawiliwili) on October 13 from 8am to 5pm and would love recommendations on what to do in port that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars per person.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

For just one day, on a budget, I would rent a car, and stay on the north/eastern side of the island. We rented our car from Discount Hawaii Car Rental and it was very reasonable. We downloaded the GyPSy app for my phone and really enjoyed listening to the stories and history as we drove from site to site. I recommend Wailua Falls, Opaeka'a Falls, and then driving up towards Ke'e Beach. Along the way you can stop at Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge and the town of Princeville. At Ke'e Beach, is the trail head for Kalalau Trail. This is a long trail but you can hike just the first mile--you will be hiking along the coastline and will see some really beautiful scenery. I don't think you will have much time for anything else. Also make sure to allow enough time to return--the traffic right around the town of Kapa'a can get pretty backed up.

Thanks! I'll look into renting a car and the GyPSy app!

Also, if you go to your local library (or purchase off Amazon,) you can get the Hawaii Revealed books (they have them for each island--Kauai Revealed, Oahu Revealed, etc.) I bought these before our cruise and they were so helpful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We are only in Kauai from 8 to 4 pm so we are renting our car and going to the Canyon, the Spouting Horn and Poipu.  Gotta get that car back to the Enterprise at the airport by 3 pm at the latest.  A very quick day, but worth it as it will cost us a fraction of what the cruise ship tour would cost minus the obligatory stop to visit the chickens.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2018 at 3:08 PM, PCWalton1 said:

Last year we enjoyed Kauai Photo Tours. They cater to all types, people like me with a Nikon or like my wife with her Iphone.

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/kauai_tour_info.htm

Thank you for the recommendation.  I have it bookmarked for our 2020 cruise.  How far in advance do you suggest we book it?

Here's what we did:

https://profcruise.com/6-things-to-do-close-to-port-in-kauai/

I really enjoyed the trolley tour.  It was inexpensive and we saw quite a lot.  No need to book in advance.  The trolley will pick you right up at the cruise port and drop you at the ticket office where you can book.  There is also a great beach across the street from the trolley stop.  We had a lovely day in Kauai!  Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Thank you for the recommendation.  I have it bookmarked for our 2020 cruise.  How far in advance do you suggest we book it?

I booked way early about 8 months out but that's me. :classic_blush: You may want to call them to be sure they can work with the time Serenade is in port as they tend to start later in the day (11 am for us). We had a rare overnight port visit so that worked for us.  

2 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

I booked way early about 8 months out but that's me. :classic_blush: You may want to call them to be sure they can work with the time Serenade is in port as they tend to start later in the day (11 am for us). We had a rare overnight port visit so that worked for us.  

I tend to book early, too.  I will probably call or e-mail them this summer, probably after our Alaska cruise.  Their website did say that they work with cruise ship times.  I am concerned about the traffic in Kauai and doing it on our own.  We may go there for our post cruise time, but haven't decided on that for sure yet.  

1 minute ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I tend to book early, too.  I will probably call or e-mail them this summer, probably after our Alaska cruise.  Their website did say that they work with cruise ship times.  I am concerned about the traffic in Kauai and doing it on our own.  We may go there for our post cruise time, but haven't decided on that for sure yet.  

2 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I think the office manager's name is Michelle. They do work with Norwegian's  POA as they do an overnight every week. When I called she was surprised that Radiance was there overnight. I managed to gather enough people for two of their vans. Tell her Bill from Radiance (2017) says hi. 

If you do set something up can you hold a couple spots for Marie and I? I think we are going to book this cruise. 

1 minute ago, PCWalton1 said:

I think the office manager's name is Michelle. They do work with Norwegian's  POA as they do an overnight every week. When I called she was surprised that Radiance was there overnight. I managed to gather enough people for two of their vans. Tell her Bill from Radiance (2017) says hi. 

If you do set something up can you hold a couple spots for Marie and I? I think we are going to book this cruise. 

That would be fun!  I was just thinking that getting a group together would be the best bet.  We would love to have you join us on the Serenade!

I  remember looking at this company when we did the POA in 2011, but we chose other options instead (the Fern Grotto/Smith Family Luau through Robert's on Day 1 and an air tour of the island on Day 2).  I did a photo tour in Alaska several years ago and it was a highlight tour, so this one is catching my interest once again.  Plus, we would like to see the other side of the island this time.  

Just now, Sunny AZ Girl said:

That would be fun!  I was just thinking that getting a group together would be the best bet.  We would love to have you join us on the Serenade!

I  remember looking at this company when we did the POA in 2011, but we chose other options instead (the Fern Grotto/Smith Family Luau through Robert's on Day 1 and an air tour of the island on Day 2).  I did a photo tour in Alaska several years ago and it was a highlight tour, so this one is catching my interest once again.  Plus, we would like to see the other side of the island this time.  

Their tours are on the east and north side of the island as the other direction takes too much driving time

1 minute ago, PCWalton1 said:

Their tours are on the east and north side of the island as the other direction takes too much driving time

Yes, while our air tour went all around the island we pretty much stayed over the canyon area.  Our Fern Grotto and Luau was not far from the ship, so I am sure we would see other areas, from the tour descriptions.  We did spend some time exploring on our own close to the ship in the shopping area and the beach resort.  Pretty area.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:52 PM, CruisnDeb said:

Also, if you go to your local library (or purchase off Amazon,) you can get the Hawaii Revealed books (they have them for each island--Kauai Revealed, Oahu Revealed, etc.) I bought these before our cruise and they were so helpful.

YES to these books! I bought them online and they help a LOT. We are going to do a helicopter tour in Kauai based on the recommendations from the Kauai Revealed books. After reading those books and understanding their reasoning, we are willing to spend the $$ to see parts of the island that cannot be seen/appreciated from the road. After that, we will probably do some beach time, or maybe a catamaran trip.