Haleakaha summit questions

alwalaska

There is a visitor center and quite a few hiking trails. I've been there many times, although my favorite activity is hiking the trails. My hike is to the cinder cones inside the crater. I think it's about a three or four mile hike. The only hard part is coming back up the side of the crater. There are switch backs, but the trail is steep and you are around 10,000 feet above sea level. The National Park Service website for Haleakala will have a description of the trails and the services. It's been years since I've been in the visitor center - as I remember, it's small with limited hours. There are also displays at the top of the crater with some short trails.

We've gone with Roberts on a bus, twice. curvy road, nice views. There is a visitors center with NP stamp and info. It is at 9740 feet or so. There are some paths to walk for short hike to see into the crater. We've done this tour twice and enjoyed it each time. Windy and cool temps up there. Seems like we only stayed about 45 minutes at top,enough time to use facilities and do the short hike to crater viewpoints.

We’ve been late morning, got lucky and had a beautiful day. We just did a short hike, about a quarter of a mile of the Sliding Sands trail and a couple of overlooks. There is a lot to do upcountry to make a whole day of it after seeing the crater.

We’ve tried sunrise twice without much luck, it was really foggy both times.

Thank you all. We are thinking about doing it on day 2 of our cruise stop instead of driving to Lahaina and doing a walking tour.

We really don't want to get up early enough for the sunrise, but understand the dangers of clouds coming in later in the morning.

I'll search and see if I can find the trail guide on the NPS site. For some reason, most of the links last night weren't working right for me. They all took me to the same generic page.

From the NCL cruise port at Kahalui, what is a reasonable amount of time to leave for driving to the summit and back. Knowing this will help me to know what else we can fit in to the day.

Thanks again! February seems so far away. :rolleyes:

Thank you all. We are thinking about doing it on day 2 of our cruise stop instead of driving to Lahaina and doing a walking tour.

We really don't want to get up early enough for the sunrise, but understand the dangers of clouds coming in later in the morning.

I'll search and see if I can find the trail guide on the NPS site. For some reason, most of the links last night weren't working right for me. They all took me to the same generic page.

From the NCL cruise port at Kahalui, what is a reasonable amount of time to leave for driving to the summit and back. Knowing this will help me to know what else we can fit in to the day.

Thanks again! February seems so far away. :rolleyes:

I’m going on the POA in May - I hope you’ll report back!

As to your plan, you might want to do Haleakala in your first day in Maui, especially if you’ll also be doing other things in the Upcountry. If you do it on your second day, you’ll have to cut the day somewhat short in order to be back at the ship on time.

I’m spending my first Maui day in the Upcountry, ending with Haleakala at sunset. As it’s such a long day, I’m inclined to choose the Maui beach day excursion for my second day...

Per Google maps, it is one hour and fifteen minutes from the Kahalui airport to the parking lot at the summit. We generally make several stops on the way up, but this will give you a guide for when to start back down the mountain.

Also, one of our most memorable visits was when the crater was completely covered in cloud. As we watched, the clouds left, and the sight was magical. I loved it when the clouds hung inside the crater.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m going on the POA in May - I hope you’ll report back!

As to your plan, you might want to do Haleakala in your first day in Maui, especially if you’ll also be doing other things in the Upcountry. If you do it on your second day, you’ll have to cut the day somewhat short in order to be back at the ship on time.

I’m spending my first Maui day in the Upcountry, ending with Haleakala at sunset. As it’s such a long day, I’m inclined to choose the Maui beach day excursion for my second day...

I will try and remember to post when I get back. We are doing Hana on Day 1 since that is a must do for me and more likely to make me nervous about being too far from the ship.

Per Google maps, it is one hour and fifteen minutes from the Kahalui airport to the parking lot at the summit. We generally make several stops on the way up, but this will give you a guide for when to start back down the mountain.

Also, one of our most memorable visits was when the crater was completely covered in cloud. As we watched, the clouds left, and the sight was magical. I loved it when the clouds hung inside the crater.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I don't always trust Google maps to know the ins and outs of speed of traffic and actual drive times, although it has been getting much better recently.

Maybe we will get to see the magical clouds leaving. If not, we'll still get to experience the elevation and being on top of the world (or at least a volcano) for a few moments.

Some are concerned about the drive which I don’t think is bad. Here’s a time lapse 2 minute video which stops at the park’s entrance, visitor’s center and summit.

Thanks. It doesn't look bad to me. The time lapse was a bit nauseating, but at normal speeds, I'm sure it will be fine. We're renting a jeep for Hana, so we'll still have it on Day 2.

I will try and remember to post when I get back. We are doing Hana on Day 1 since that is a must do for me and more likely to make me nervous about being too far from the ship.

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense then, lol. Have a great time!!!

I would love to know what other excursions you've booked (whether through the ship or not).......

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense then, lol. Have a great time!!!

I would love to know what other excursions you've booked (whether through the ship or not).......

OK - so I will hijack my own thread. We are mostly renting cars and doing our own things. There are a couple of places where I multiple plans and will have to narrow down to 1. I am eventually going to put all of my Triptiks as pdf files here. They are rough drafts right now and may change.

Maui Day 1 - Road to Hana - rented jeep from Enterprise that is 30 minutes from port. Will park overnight at hotel nearby.

Maui Day 2 - Iao Needle and Lahaina OR more likely now Haleakaha summit.

Hilo - I currently have 2 rental reservations. 1) Enterprise location that has a shuttle to the pier. It advertises as a port location, but it is virtual. The real location is a mile or so down the road. 2) Hertz at the airport. I had a free day coupon, so it is only $12, but I have to get to the airport, so I'm not sure if it will save me money or not.

We also have 2 sets of plans. 1) Volcano National Park visitor center and drive all the way down to the sea arch and play it by ear based on volcano activity. 2) Go north to Akaka Falls, Botanical Garden, etc.

Kona - Rent from Hertz at the Marriott right by the tender location. Drive down to Pu'uhonuaO Hōnaunau and see that. Stop at painted church and anything else that looks interesting on the way back as long as we have energy.

Alternate plans for either Hilo or Kona if you don't go to

Haleakaha on Maui, then go up to the visitor center at the 9,000 foot level at Mauna Kea. We won't go all the way to the top, especially in Feb.

Kauai - Wings over Kauai on day 1. Pick up rental car at noon. Depending on clouds and weather - either Fern Grotto - driving north up the coast - or go see the Canyon in the afternoon and evening.

Day 2 - go see the Canyon if too cloudy on day 1.

We are spending a week on Oahu first, so we will do our snorkeling and luau there. We are spending a full day with the guide and all at the Polynesian Cultural center and staying for the luau and Ha Breath of Life.

Maui Day 1 - Road to Hana - rented jeep from Enterprise that is 30 minutes from port. Will park overnight at hotel nearby.

There are two Enterprise locations where your ship docks in Kahului, Maui, and neither are 30 minutes from the port. One is at the airport, which is only three miles away from the port, and another right across the street from the pedestrian walkway access to the port. If you are thinking about parking overnight at the only "hotels" (term used loosely) in the port area (Maui Beach Hotel or Maui Seaside Hotel), parking is for registered hotel guests only.

You may want to note that the correct spelling of the volcano is Haleakala.

Another thing to consider is that on many days beginning by late morning the upper section can be shrouded in clouds resulting in foggy conditions.

That is what they told us a O'o farm which is a good ways up the side of the mountain. Normally their warmest time of the day is late morning and they were right the day we visited. :D

There are two Enterprise locations where your ship docks in Kahului, Maui, and neither are 30 minutes from the port. One is at the airport, which is only three miles away from the port, and another right across the street from the pedestrian walkway access to the port. If you are thinking about parking overnight at the only "hotels" (term used loosely) in the port area (Maui Beach Hotel or Maui Seaside Hotel), parking is for registered hotel guests only.

You may want to note that the correct spelling of the volcano is Haleakala.

Sorry. I don't know what happened between my brain and my keyboard. I'm booked at the one that is a half mile from the port.

There is a hotel that charges $5 for overnight parking. I'll look up the name and post later.

OK - so I will hijack my own thread. We are mostly renting cars and doing our own things. There are a couple of places where I multiple plans and will have to narrow down to 1. I am eventually going to put all of my Triptiks as pdf files here. They are rough drafts right now and may change.

Hilo - I currently have 2 rental reservations. 1) Enterprise location that has a shuttle to the pier. It advertises as a port location, but it is virtual. The real location is a mile or so down the road. 2) Hertz at the airport. I had a free day coupon, so it is only $12, but I have to get to the airport, so I'm not sure if it will save me money or not.

We also have 2 sets of plans. 1) Volcano National Park visitor center and drive all the way down to the sea arch and play it by ear based on volcano activity. 2) Go north to Akaka Falls, Botanical Garden, etc.

Kona - Rent from Hertz at the Marriott right by the tender location. Drive down to Pu'uhonuaO Hōnaunau and see that. Stop at painted church and anything else that looks interesting on the way back as long as we have energy.

Alternate plans for either Hilo or Kona if you don't go to

Haleakaha on Maui, then go up to the visitor center at the 9,000 foot level at Mauna Kea. We won't go all the way to the top, especially in Feb.

Kauai - Wings over Kauai on day 1. Pick up rental car at noon. Depending on clouds and weather - either Fern Grotto - driving north up the coast - or go see the Canyon in the afternoon and evening.

Day 2 - go see the Canyon if too cloudy on day 1.

We are spending a week on Oahu first, so we will do our snorkeling and luau there. We are spending a full day with the guide and all at the Polynesian Cultural center and staying for the luau and Ha Breath of Life.

Sounds fabulous!

There is a hotel that charges $5 for overnight parking. I'll look up the name and post later.

That story got started about the Maui Beach Hotel last year, but it is not true that they offer public parking - even for a fee. The public parking lot at the airport is your best bet for overnight parking.

That story got started about the Maui Beach Hotel last year, but it is not true that they offer public parking - even for a fee. The public parking lot at the airport is your best bet for overnight parking.

Thanks for the warning, but it isn't a "story". Here is a post from a Pride of America group I belong to that CC forbids me to mention the location of.

"We did the Maui beach hotel and just sailed sept 8th. It was 5 dollars... you can always call

Them to confirm (which is what I did). Plenty of parking and pretty easy.. we walked back to ship and also walked to car at 230am to drive to see sunrise and it was fine (kinda busy road, but commercial area).... 15 min walk at most...."

Edited by alwalaska
added quotes since formatting changed.

Thanks for the warning, but it isn't a "story". Here is a post from a Pride of America group I belong to that CC forbids me to mention the location of.

"We did the Maui beach hotel and just sailed sept 8th. It was 5 dollars... you can always call

Them to confirm (which is what I did). Plenty of parking and pretty easy.. we walked back to ship and also walked to car at 230am to drive to see sunrise and it was fine (kinda busy road, but commercial area).... 15 min walk at most...."

Hmmm. Here is another poster's report. The hotel's phone number is (808) 877-0051 if you want to give them a call and find out who is right...

"I emailed the hotel and this is what they said:

Our parking is available for registered guests staying at the hotel at a fee. I wouldn’t suggest walking from here to the cruise ship at 3am in the morning for safety reasons."

Mahalo,

Cheryl DiCenzo

Front Office Manager

No sorry, just got a chuckle about that whole parking discussion. Believing FB post rather than calling/emailing themselves to confirm. :)

So why is believing 5 people who just returned and parked there for $5 so much more amusing just because they chose to post on the FB POA page rather than believing one post on CC.

I plan on calling closer to my cruise, but I've used info from CC to start my planning many times. I'm glad I provided you some amusement. Too bad you didn't provide amusement or help.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app