Medallion roll out slower than anticipated

LibrarianMonroe

Wow!! I figured the delay would be slower implementation, one ship at a time (longer per ship to get it rolling). I'm surprised the whole ship will not sail using the new technology. I know some people were really excited about it.

Thanks for sharing the article. It is probably a good idea to help them iron out the bugs.

I have been involved six times when "NEW" technology rolled out. All six times major problems were encountered. The last one was over six years ago and still has not been fixed.

This new system I assume will be paperless. Can you see yourself disputing drinks on your folio with zero proof.

I have been involved six times when "NEW" technology rolled out. All six times major problems were encountered. The last one was over six years ago and still has not been fixed.

This new system I assume will be paperless. Can you see yourself disputing drinks on your folio with zero proof.

I totally agree with you.

This is why I would hate to be on one of the first cruises with the New Ocean Medallion.

Tony

All the initial Regal Princess Medallion Roll Calls are recipients of a post from PrincessCruises PR:

Hello Regal Princess cruisers,

Your upcoming cruise is one in a series of preview sailings that will begin to introduce Ocean Medallion Vacations, offering an enhanced and personalized guest experience.

The creation of Ocean Medallion Vacations involves very sophisticated technology that hasn’t existed prior to now. It also involves extensive modifications to our onboard operations combined with new training for our crew. To most effectively implement our new enhanced guest experiences, we are using a phased activation process that will make Ocean Medallion Vacations available to a select number of guests on each preview cruise. This will allow us to receive continuous feedback from a controlled number of guests and crew while the ship is in service.During the preview cruise period, which will run into spring 2018, we will activate Ocean Medallion features by adding in groups of staterooms in phases versus activating the entire ship at one time.

We will email you and all other cruisers on your voyage within the next 24 hours to advise whether your stateroom is in a group that will be activated during your cruise.

During your voyage, you’ll enjoy several new Ocean Medallion enhancements created to make our cruise vacations more connected, engaging, and enjoyable. These include the greatly enhanced MedallionNet Wi-Fi, the newly renovated Princess Cruise terminal at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, and new gaming and entertainment experiences including a new Sail Away celebration event.

Exceeding your expectations is always our commitment and we look forward to hosting you on your upcoming vacation. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-Princess or contact your travel professional.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

------------------------------------

We booked the 13th and 15th cruises specifically as the first Ocean Medallion Vacations and are not hopeful of being included in the limited rollout. There is going to be some very unhappy people!

Sandra and Chris

Yeah I think so too , cause I’m sure a lot of people booked the cruises so they could try the ocean Medallion . I want to book an Ocean medallion cruise in 2019 so I can try it . Hopefully it will be in full operation by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now we’ll hear from deck 12 aft being annoyed that 12 forward has it and they don’t.

Then 12 forward will complain about the medallion tracking them and that the watch bands for them are $50 in the ship’s store.

If these bands were at the dollar store, they would be too ugly to sell...

ocean-medallion-640x420.jpg

No one is seriously going to walk round onboard with a cheap plastic bracelet, Its easy enough to loose a cruise card never mind a disc the size of a quarter. I just don't gerbthe whole idea of this medallion clasd

Just received an email that our cabin on the 11/26 Regal cruise would not have the new technology.

My cabin on the 11/13 cruise was not chosen either. I wished Princess had told me that before final payment. The only reason to book this cruise was to experience the new technology. I've already cruised on the Regal and I've been to Nassau too many times.

Just received our letters that neither of our suites was selected on the 15th and the 19th. It is such a shame since we chose this new technology to help keep track of our elderly father on such a huge ship. Would probably have chosen a different ship had we known we were not going to have that ability. :(

Not that it would have changed our plan, but a little disappointed. Though not surprised I was wondering how they were going to overhaul the whole ship overnight. We were excited about trying the new technology now we will have to wait as we are not one of the "chosen"! I will how ever enjoy the upgrade from an inside to a full unobstructed balcony for the 2 days we are on the ship! Still feel duped though!! It was advertised as a preview cruise for the whole ship not a select few.

Edited by JanieCaper
Forgot to add something.

So the fact that Princess advertised it as a Medallion Cruise and that is the reason you booked it reason enough to cancel with no penalties? Would that be considered false advertising? I am sure someone somewhere will threaten to sue Princess over this.

Does Princess provide a device to use while on board? Do we have to have a smart phone? Is there a security measure for theft of a device. Just some thoughts!

No - just some computers in the Internet Cafe. Yes - or a notebook/laptop/tablet. Nothing special - you are responsible for your own property.

Not that it would have changed our plan, but a little disappointed. Though not surprised I was wondering how they were going to overhaul the whole ship overnight. We were excited about trying the new technology now we will have to wait as we are not one of the "chosen"! I will how ever enjoy the upgrade from an inside to a full unobstructed balcony for the 2 days we are on the ship! Still feel duped though!! It was advertised as a preview cruise for the whole ship not a select few.

Definitely not an overnight overhaul. We were on the Regal TA and there was a large team of technicians all over the ship installing the technology. However, I can understand the disappointment.

We're sailing on the CB in March on it's scheduled inaugural Medallion cruise. I wonder how it will be rolled out. I'm guessing the same process unless they iron out the wrinkles quickly.

Wow, there's a lot of posts on this thread overnight.

My wife and I booked our February cruise hoping to try out the new technology; we'll be disappointed if it doesn't exist by then, on the other hand, we will still be on a cruise, and we upgraded to a mini-suite for the first time, so... it will be hard to be TOO disappointed.

Regarding if Princess will provide a device, no, my understanding is however that there are more kiosks and/or wall panels where you can access most of the functions.

I agree the bands don't look good or comfortable. I was planning to wear my medallion around my neck, like my diabetic medic alert thing.

I can understand the disappointment in not getting the technology - and while I doubt Princess is going to provide much relief for that disappointment, I'd certainly like to hear if anyone gets any response from Princess on that subject.

Definitely not an overnight overhaul. We were on the Regal TA and there was a large team of technicians all over the ship installing the technology. However, I can understand the disappointment.

We're sailing on the CB in March on it's scheduled inaugural Medallion cruise. I wonder how it will be rolled out. I'm guessing the same process unless they iron out the wrinkles quickly.

Well there is no way that they could change all the doors over night etc I was thinking how can that happen? The way that it was presented initially was that this was the debut and everyone would experience the new technology. Alot of people I am sure booked this to be the first, it is a slap in the face. I get it, technology takes time. Though people are and will be upset for sure.

Edited by JanieCaper
misspelling

Bummer! We're sailing in January and I was really looking forward to trying the Medallion.

Are they planning on phasing it in like: first cruise section A gets it, then the second cruise: section A and B and so on? Or are they literally only doing a section at a time? The article wasn't clear to me.

No where in that letter did it say you can opt out which I would do. Also, what if someone doesn't have.or won't carry around their smart phone?

I'm a librarian, so when people ask questions, even when they aren't for me, I try to answer. Its a curse and a blessing. I've bolded the relevant bits below; but short answer - you can use the technology via interactive surfaces on the ship, and you can opt out.

From the FAQ about this technology:

What is Ocean Compass™?

Ocean Compass is a digital portal that provides you access to your digital experience dimension. Serving as personal experience concierge before, during and after vacation, the Ocean Compass has an intuitive and innovative interface. It is available online, on smart devices, on kiosks in port terminals, on stateroom TVs, on interactive surfaces located throughout the cruise ship and on devices carried by crew members. You can use the Ocean Compass to enhance your vacation, select experiences and create personalized event-based itineraries. No guest is required to have a personal device to access Ocean Compass. The Ocean Compass also serves as a digital media platform that features custom experiential media content as well as access to vacation photos captured during a cruise vacation.

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?

If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion Class experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.