Question for past passengers and changing tour bus times. Are they flexible?

dcsam

Hoping someone here might offer some suggestions. On an upcoming cruise, the ship will stop in Puerto Quetzal. Viking's included excursion is a bus into Antigua (approx. one and a half hour drive one way); a brief orientation/tour and then time on our own. The tour shows 'full', but Viking assured me they will be making more room since it's and included excursion. The problem with this is it only leaves about 2 hours in Antigua. That's just not enough time to spend for the things we want to do. Antigua looks amazing! There are several time slots. Could I hitch a ride on an early time slot and come back on a later (and booked) one? Do the buses come and go with the same people, or is there some flexibility in that? For example, on a recent Azamara trip, we could come and go as we pleased. There were busses waiting to take people into town and busses waiting when you were ready to come back. But then again, it was maybe a 20 or 30 minute trip each way - not 90.

Or, I could find my own transportation into Antigua (i.e., taxi) and come back on my later, scheduled time slot.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks so much!

Caroline

I have taken a ship tour bus to Antigua when doing a Panama Canal cruise with Celebrity from Puerto Quetzel. It was approx 1hr+ bus ride along the one and only highway to Antigua. So it depends on the traffic. We had a guide on the bus that gave an excellant history of what you will see: volcano up close, coffee plantations, sugar cane fields, and a history of Antigua the first capital of Guatemala. Once in Antigua we had three things we wanted to do: see the ruins of St. Catherine covent which is now an upscale hotel with the ruins on the grounds, buy Guatemala coffee whole beans at a local coffee shop, have a authentic lunch and shop in the artisan market and small shops around the town. We hired a local guide when we arrived at the bus drop off place. We had plenty of time and got back to the ship a hour and half before we needed to board.

My suggestion is to ask at Guest relations if you can go on the earliest bus and then take a later bus back to Puerto Quetzal . You can also hire a taxi at the port for ride both ways.

I personally would do a ship tour. Again, having been to Guatemala over 9 times , the highways are ok but can come to a halt for accidents, construction , even a strike. So I would never want to miss the ship becaue the travel time can be out of your control.

I love Antigua and its rich history ,the Mayan people and the great coffee.

What a great port of call, and a very hospitable yet rugged , beautiful country.

Thank you, Azulann!

The more I read about Antigua, the more I realize two hours simply isn't enough. It's an area rich in colonial architecture and culture. Hopefully, we'll be able to lengthen our stay there.

Thanks again