Welcome!

LauraS

Is there a cruise line that's better geared for seniors ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I are close to 63. We have tried Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, and Cunard. Currently, we prefer them in that order from worst to best. I don't know if age is the determining factor. It depends on what is important to the individual. We will probably not do Norwegian or Carnival again because we prefer a more formal, elegant, conservative, classic environment and we love to dance. You will notice that I said currently. We used to prefer Celebrity, but they recently have changed their policies and quality of music. No more a capella groups and no more string ensembles for entertainment. Their dance music is geared for people who do not "couples dance" where the dance partners touch while dancing. The music is geared toward people who do what I call "rhythmic bobbing". No need for a partner - which is fine - I'm just not their target audience any more. Cunard has huge dance floors and an orchestra in their ballrooms.

There are seniors who prefer the excitement, liveliness and versatility of Norwegian and Carnival and they like hanging out with younger people and families. Even Carnival has an older clientele on cruises over 11 days because younger people usually don't take longer cruises. It's nice that there are so many choices for all tastes. If you know what kind of environment you prefer, Cruise Critic can provide a lot of guidance.

Happy Cruising, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Don,

You're welcome. Right now, Lady Kathryn and I are planning a Cunard cruise on the Queen Victoria in April. In fact, I just made my final payment. We're looking forward to 19 nights from Los Angeles through the Panama Canal to New York City. We haven't cruised on the Queen Victoria before, but from what I can see, the layout is almost identical to that of the Queen Elizabeth, which we really enjoyed last year in a transatlantic from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale.

It sure is nice being retired and having the time to catch any cruise that we can afford. I'm thinking of trying Crystal for our next cruise. They're considerably more expensive than the other cruise lines that we've tried, but I'm curious to try a luxury brand to see if it's worth the extra money. (To be truthful, I'm a little afraid to try Crystal because I'm afraid that Lady Kathryn will decide it's the only way to cruise, and then where will I be?) Which cruise lines have you found most enjoyable so far?

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

• 2 months later...
Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

Cindy,

When I turned 55 last year, I coined the word Tweenior for the 55 - 64 age group in which I now fit . . . old enough for some senior's benefits but not yet a full pensionable senior. I Googled it and discovered that I am not the first to use it but I like it anyway.

Karen

• Like 1

Karen, I haven't heard the expression "tweener," but it's clever. I say "seasoned citizen" for those over a certain age. I can't be pigeon holed because I'm so often told I look much younger that I never think of myself as "senior." It's silly because I enjoy the perks. Fifteen percent discount at Denny's restaurants so I bring my adult children and it's a bargain. Discounts at most chain places but I don't frequent them as I prefer neighborhood cafes and small quaint restaurants and music clubs. Then there are also the cruise discounts and special senior offers. Speaking of cruising, I cruised twice in 2014, January with my then-18 year old daughter and her friend on the Carnival Splendor and September 2014 with two friends on the Norwegian Breakaway. I preferred Carnival. I made the mistake of buying ahead on another Norwegian cruise so I have to take something in the next four years. I do want to cruise Carnival again but I think my next one will be on Royal Caribbean (my favorite line!), which I haven't cruised in too long. Happy trails! Cheryl

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OMG - I was already 5 years past when this original post was started!:) Now after 28 cruises (ocean and river cruises) with two more booked, I have decided to read through these "aged" threads" to see what I might have missed and to seek out the good advice for our future cruises.

My wife and I are really fortunate and blessed to have our health and the resources to travel a little at our "advancing age," as occasionally referenced by our youngest son!

Many Cruise Critic folks of all ages have already significantly enlightened our lives since we began following the posts on various subjects and we have made many wonderful acquaintances aboard ships.

• 7 months later...
Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

Cindy,

I have always liked 'Age Challenged' :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

we are planning a cruise from bangkok to shanhai. we are concerned about the long flight.

We did some research and looking at an Emerites flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL changing planes in Dubai then on to Bangkok. Does any one have experience with this flight.....specifically it is a change of planes in Dubai. 3 hour layover. Easy?

we are planning a cruise from bangkok to shanhai. we are concerned about the long flight.

We did some research and looking at an Emerites flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL changing planes in Dubai then on to Bangkok. Does any one have experience with this flight.....specifically it is a change of planes in Dubai. 3 hour layover. Easy?

This is the wrong place to ask this sort of question, but I was trolling the boards.

We fly Emirates often. Cabin crew are from all over the world, including the UK. Service is excellent. Dubai Airport is fantastic. There is lots to see and many eating places with different cuisines. The route you describe is pretty direct, so if the price is right, go for it. Hapoy travels.

My DH and I are proud that we are growing "old" together- Unfortunately, some people postpone doing things and never live to enjoy. We are over 55 and enjoy our grandchildren and enjoy cruising with family and just together! We have been on almost 50 cruises and our preferred lines are Celebrity and Royal.

Will be fun to talk to likeminded people!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Fast forward nearly 5 years 😄  I just found this thread and find it quite interesting, even though the last post was 3 years prior to COVID.  I'm a newbie having booked our 1st cruise for our 30th anniversary in 2023, we'll be 58 and 59.  I'm interested to know what lines we should consider besides Princess since we're already booked on the Caribbean. I have a feeling we're going to love cruising, so I'm already looking for our next trip even though our 1st is still 299 days away!

On 9/4/2022 at 7:48 PM, MTNest93 said:

Fast forward nearly 5 years 😄  I just found this thread and find it quite interesting, even though the last post was 3 years prior to COVID.  I'm a newbie having booked our 1st cruise for our 30th anniversary in 2023, we'll be 58 and 59.  I'm interested to know what lines we should consider besides Princess since we're already booked on the Caribbean. I have a feeling we're going to love cruising, so I'm already looking for our next trip even though our 1st is still 299 days away!

I suggest both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

We booked our first cruise in 2013, booked Royal Caribbean out of Sydney to Hawaii. We were flying to New Zealand and then Australia, and not being a fan of long flights, decided to try a cruise coming back. I figured we would either love it or really not. I was hooked before we ever pulled away from Sydney, DH not as in love as I, but we have spent some time at sea. 🛳️

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary cruise!

On 9/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, SPacificbound said:

We booked our first cruise in 2013, booked Royal Caribbean out of Sydney to Hawaii. We were flying to New Zealand and then Australia, and not being a fan of long flights, decided to try a cruise coming back. I figured we would either love it or really not. I was hooked before we ever pulled away from Sydney, DH not as in love as I, but we have spent some time at sea. 🛳️

Thank you!  I saw a YouTube video today that said Princess is going for a younger family oriented demographic.  That saddens me since I thought we found our line.  I'll definitely be sure to check out RC and Celebrity and appreciate the suggestion.  We haven't set sail yet but I'm already hooked, lol!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, SPacificbound said:

Did you  (I know your DH would not) enjoy the Trans Pacific enough to recommend it to others? I am considering this and also a TransAtlantic. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2005 at 10:48 AM, Mrs. Dfolks said:

😉 LOL...don't get too excited, guys! My books aren't on the shelves presently. This due to having to pull from one publisher and move to another...very old story for any struggling writer.

After retiring from labor/delivery nursing, and getting the kids out on their own, I picked up an old 'want to' from my youth. With Larry's help, we wrapped a story around a nightmare I had one evening. Larry's deeply involved in the plotting of each book, especially all the technicals and equipment the characters use.

Being a gal of the 60/70's, my lead character's an intelligent, feisty, strong-willed female with complicated issues she struggles with while battling the bad guy. There is a romantic interest, but she keeps him at arm's length almost to the end. That relationship isn't so much a romance as it's a study in human emotions and conflicts.

Jeez, I've run on way too much. I'll be banished before I get to know everyone on this terrific board. :eek:

I am a published author .My books can be found in book adores all over the US