Flying with a toddler?

ellie1145

Our little grandson aged 19 months will be taking his first flight next month, just 2 hours to Venice but long enough we think as he's very active.

Does anyone have any tips for flying with a toddler please?

It's an evening flight, 6.15 so hope he may sleep part of the way.

Is there anything we can do if his ears hurt on take off? He doesn't use a bottle or anything.

Many thanks!

Hi, relax, it´s not as bad as it sounds.

We´ve flown with our daughter since she was 9 month old.

If possible let him drink or eat something during takeoff.

Be prepared with extra clothes if there are any accidents, bring some for the parents, too.

Otherwise you might have to deal with spit covered clothes til you get to your accomodation.

Apart from that, play finger games, does he have a favorite toy, bring that on the flight, maybe a Picture book, does he like singing, so maybe a lullaby will Keep him happy. Apart from that munchies, maybe something Special he gets rarely.

Our dd was 20 month on a 2 hour flight to Ibiza, it was stressful for us, as she was flying as a lap-child and did not want to remain on Daddys lap... I hope your grandson will fall asleep. We are never that fortunate.

Try having him drink from a bottle that has a soft rubber sippy cup type spout (nipple) or just a sippy cup...certainly he uses these. Or even a sucker to suck on.

We've flown often with extended family that includes infants and toddlers.

To keep our DD (who is now 21) occupied, I would get a few new age appropriate toys/puzzles/sticker books etc. at the dollar store. I'd wrap the toys, and take them out when a distraction was needed. Unwrap and play with new toy was always good to keep her happy. If a distraction wasn't needed, the toy came out "because your behavior is so good". I was careful not to bring out the toy as a distraction she was acting out. I did not want to reward unwanted behavior;)

Snacks also worked. It was all in the timing

Our little grandson aged 19 months will be taking his first flight next month, just 2 hours to Venice but long enough we think as he's very active.

Is there anything we can do if his ears hurt on take off? He doesn't use a bottle or anything.

Many thanks!

In addition to the drink and snack idea for the ears, you can also "teach him" to clear his ears before he goes. All you have to do is close his nose and tell him to blow. At 19 months, mine were used to blowing noses in a tissue, so I just pinched it closed and voila, clear ears.

Will you be flying with a car seat? If so, and he is buckled in, you will have a much easier time containing him rather than in the lap. I was not big into TV when they were little, but a tablet with shows that held their attention worked wonders.

Our little guy is almost 3, and went in airplane trips at 6 months and almost 2. Every flight he fell asleep as we were leaving the gate. We tried to let him move around as much as possible before we confined him to a seat. And I had a pacifier for him to help with his ears (pressure changes). We also used a car seat for him, and that made him very comfortable. With all the excitement of getting to the airport, getting through security, and getting on the plane, he was more than happy to relax in his comfy seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if you are not flying in the US on a US airline, and do buy a separate seat for your toddler, you may not be able to use a car seat on the flight. You will need to inquire with your specific airline.

Only US airlines are obligated to let you use an FAA approved car seat during the flight.

Also check out a Travel with Children board on babycenter.com for tips specifically on traveling with kids. Previous posters provided some excellent advice on that, but if you need more - be my guest.

Some questions you will need to ask yourself - will you need a car seat at your destination? will you be using a taxi and need a car seat?

P.S. my kid never needed stickers/games/books/anything if you give him a tablet with cartoons or age appropriate games on it. It's a life saver! We started cruising with him since he was 3, and he would have gotten bored in MDR and start acting out like other kids we've seen if it weren't for the tablet. He finishes his meal and then quietly watches cartoons/plays games (headphones are a must) while we are still busy with our meal. Our kid has been called the most well behaved kid in MDR by others. I know a lot of parents would frown upon using a tablet during dinner time, but if we want quality time enjoying our meal and talking to other adults, while the kid is bored out of his mind, the tablet is our sanity preserver. And no, we cannot ship him off to a kid's camp. He is very much opposed to that.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks!

As the mom of three very energetic girls I understand what you're feeling. The 18-24 month age I have found to be the hardest because they realize they like being free but following directions is only starting to kick in. We will be flying to Venice with our 4 year old and 19 month old soon. I'm already prepping!

I make a busy bag. Like PP said I just pulled things out to keep them busy during the flight. We always hope they will sleep 90% of the way but with my two youngest that doesn't happen!

For the bag I packaged in small bags:

1: play doh and cookie cutters

2: pipe cleaners or wiki sticks, great for poking into a plastic lid with holes, motor skills!

3: gel stickers, best if you have a window seat

4: tokens or large buttons to put in a slot cut in a plastic tub

5: new books with flaps

6: stickers

7: Color Wonder books

8: Pom poms to stuff in a large mouth bottle

9: last resort is to load the iPad up. Thankfully you can download stuff from Netflix now!

Check Pinterest. They have great ideas that I can't think of right now.

In addition to the drink and snack idea for the ears, you can also "teach him" to clear his ears before he goes. All you have to do is close his nose and tell him to blow. At 19 months, mine were used to blowing noses in a tissue, so I just pinched it closed and voila, clear ears.

Will you be flying with a car seat? If so, and he is buckled in, you will have a much easier time containing him rather than in the lap. I was not big into TV when they were little, but a tablet with shows that held their attention worked wonders.

You might want to ask you're pediatrician about this method of clearing his ears next time you're in for a visit.

Thank you all for your great tips and advice. All this grandchild business is very new to us, so I guess I'm an anxious grandma!

Yes, Cb at Sea, I would have no problem entertaining my grandson, but, sadly, we are not flying out with him.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of those wonderful Dollar Stores here in the UK. We have something similar, Poundland, but it does not have the range or choice. The Dollar Store is one of our first ports of call whenever we are in Florida. I just wish we'd picked up more items in January.

I have a feeling that the iPad will become a life saver!

We don't have access to paediatricians here in the UK, unless there are serious health issues, certainly not to ask advice about flying.

Once again, many thanks for all your help. Some great tips, Baletrina, I've already got some ideas for an activity bag, and with luck he may sleep a bit. It's a late flight so will be dark when they arrive.

We did the Australia to Europe flight last Christmas with my autistic adhd 8 year old son. 26 hours with a stop in Dubai.

Prior to travel visit the doctor or paediatrician. Have ears checked out (pressure causes pain). Raise any medical concern and get letters about any medication you are traveling with.

Keep medicine in carry on bags (child's pain relief for sore ears).

Balloons are a cheap and easy thing to carry. As are things from the cheap stores. Wrapped "presents are fun for kids and can be a distraction during meltdowns.

Colouring books, stickers ect are all great.

Window seats are great for kids. If they are in a parents lap then they still can see out. I find the window seat keeps my son entertained and also blocked in.

Travelling international we had the inflight entertainment units in the seat front but also took his iPad.

Zip lock bags are a fantastic way of keeping items organised in carry on luggage but also for quick access. These are great for Diapers (nappies). Quick change bag.

Snacks - take his favourite snacks as often kids don't like airline food.

Airplanes can be cold think about a snuggle blanket and pillow.

I purchased an inflatable cushion which fitted in front of my sons seat turning it into a little bed. This was called a first class kid pillow. It also stops kids from kicking the seat in front as their legs are not dangling.

Often the excitement of being on an airplane is enough to keep a child entertained.

If the child has a nap during the day. Try and cut that out and try and wear them out for the flight.

Always find out the weather at your arrival destination and carry clothes for that (we went from an Australian heat wave to European snow).

Be prepared for the worse and you will get the best.

Good luck and just remember it's 2 hours and not 26 [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums