The Jones Act

sej67

Is it likely to be repealed? Apparently Sen. McCain has been trying for quite some time to have it repealed, and it made headlines with Maria and Puerto Rico. So maybe the public will put pressure on Congress to repeal it. I know the main focus isn't on cruises, but we would definitely see a wider variety and more interesting itineraries.

If I understand correctly, the Jones Act covers shipping and freight only; the law that prevents non-U.S. built, owned and staffed vessels from carrying passengers between two U.S. ports only if they stop at a foreign port in between is the Passenger Services Act of 1886. It protected American passenger lines (yes, there was once such a thing!) from foreign competition. All of the American lines disappeared over time, but the law remains on the books.

If I understand correctly, the Jones Act covers shipping and freight only; the law that prevents non-U.S. built, owned and staffed vessels from carrying passengers between two U.S. ports only if they stop at a foreign port in between is the Passenger Services Act of 1886. It protected American passenger lines (yes, there was once such a thing!) from foreign competition. All of the American lines disappeared over time, but the law remains on the books.

I've found this subject pop up on a variety of forums here on Cruise Critic over the years. I recall one poster who seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject claimed the PVSA still protects ferry-type services here in the U.S. from foreign competition.