Baltic Cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:47 AM.
Lancashire
340 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We are planning our trips on the Baltic cruise and have more or less decided that we will do an organised trip in St Petersburg. The cost seems to be on average 250.00 for a two day trip including visas. Now if we then want to go into the town by ourselves at night will that visa cover us? Also what ideas do you have if we choose to DIY our trip. Himself thinks that 500.00 would be a large chunk of our holiday budget.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Edinburgh,Scotland,UK
278 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Hi There

Was in St Petersburg earlier this year.

In my opinion it is well worth doing a tour be it with one of the private companies such as Alla or SPB tours or a ship tour. I am normally a do it myself person but to do all the sites and get an insight into the history etc you really need to do a Tour they are expensive but for me really good value for money.

Whatever type you choose the Visa through the tour only covers you when you are ON the tour so unless you book an evening tour you will not be able to go into town in the evening.

I would also factor in that the main port is quite far out of the city centre.

Hope that helps a bit
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lancashire
340 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Thank you. We will be booking and book a tour with a tour guide.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lancashire
340 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Having read a lot of the reviews about Alla tours We will be booking with them. It is unlikely that we will return to St Petersburg so want to make the most out of the trip. Tallen looks like another wonderful place to see. A real feast of delights to enjoy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Manchester UK
302 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We did the two day Grand Tour with Alla Tours, just superb - it is not expensive when you weigh everything up - all entrance tickets, and meal one day and packed lunch on the other, guide, driver, small group - no waiting for 30 plus to exit a coach, you have to do Alla.
You cannot see everything in two days, but you will certainly see more than what Thomson trips offer, and just add up their prices.
Enjoy - we certainly did.
Lancashire
340 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by ormy
We did the two day Grand Tour with Alla Tours, just superb - it is not expensive when you weigh everything up - all entrance tickets, and meal one day and packed lunch on the other, guide, driver, small group - no waiting for 30 plus to exit a coach, you have to do Alla.
You cannot see everything in two days, but you will certainly see more than what Thomson trips offer, and just add up their prices.
Enjoy - we certainly did.
Did you go on at other trips?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3 hours east of Toronto
7,959 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Hi all!

k8ti ~ I also did a Baltic cruise in May & used Alla for the SPB, Helsinki & Tallinn stops. You get a small discount if you do this & also if you tell them you're on Cruise Critic. I did the 2 day Grand Tour & found it covered a lot of places. I was very happy with all the guides & what we saw.

~ Jo ~
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
]]
Manchester UK
302 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Helsinki just get the shuttle. Warmunde you can just walk into the town. Oslo easy DIY again just walk. Copenhagen you will need to book something, ship docks a long way from Copenhagen. Stockholm just use the shuttle again.
We did Gdansk not Tallin so cannot help with this one.
London, England
3,500 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
It's very easy to arrange tours yourself or DIY on a Baltic cruise. We did the two day tour with Alla in SPB which was excellent.

In Tallin we took a taxi to the top of Toopea Hill and walked down. We also did the Ditto train around the town.

We had an overnight in Stockholm, so bought a 24 hour travel card which we used on buses, trams and ferries. Vasa Museum well worth a visit.

In Gdansk did ship's tour due to time constraints. The cheapest of our ports.

We also stopped in Amsterdam, but met up with a Dutch friend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Manchester UK
302 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
You must have docked in Copenhagen itself, we docked a 90min journey away with Thomson in July no way we could have used to Ho Ho Bus
West Midlands
282 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Hi all we have just booked this cruise for August next year, 1st time with Thomson. Any idea what the weather will be like then, just wondering if we will get any use of the outside pool.
Manchester UK
302 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Our weather in July was great - shorts & tee shirts all the time, just a little rain in St Petersburg but we managed to dodge the showers - some didn't though. A great cruise with wonderful stops - enjoy
Scotland
2,361 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Now if we then want to go into the town by ourselves at night will that visa cover us?
I doubt that very much.

We wanted to use the free wifi in the cruise terminal - the border personnel would not let us through the checkpoints as we were not listed on any excursions due to depart around that time.

I tried in vain to explain that we only needed access to the cafe for an internet connection - a very definite "no comrade" response, in Russian of course !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess Oct./Nov. 2009 - Caribbean
Grand Princess Aug./Sept. 2010 - West Mediterranean
Thomson Celebration Jan./Feb. 2011 - Red Sea
Diamond Princess Nov. 2011 - Beijing to Singapore
Thomson Spirit July 2012 - Baltic
Thomson Spirit Sept./Oct.2012 - Idyllic Iberia
Thomson Spirit Oct. 2013 - Mediterranean Odyssey
Thomson Spirit July 2014 - Fjordland Splendours
Thomson Celebration Oct. 2014 - Ancient Wonders
Star Princess March 2015 - Californian Coastal
Thomson Majesty Oct./Nov 2015 - A Taste For Adventure
Thomson Majesty May 2016 - Mediterranean Medley
Thomson Dream Oct. 2016 - Adriatic Explorer
Braemar (Fred Olsen) July 2017 - German Waterways
West Midlands
282 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by ormy
Our weather in July was great - shorts & tee shirts all the time, just a little rain in St Petersburg but we managed to dodge the showers - some didn't though. A great cruise with wonderful stops - enjoy
Thank you.