Ramada Plaza Newark to NYC

Cyrra

Hubby and I will be staying at the Ramada in February and driving in a day ahead of our cruise. We thought we might like to head over to NYC and maybe see the WTC Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, Times Square or some other sites for the day. Anyone have any clue as to the transportation situation as neither of us would care to drive in. I'm thinking the WTC Memorial would be the number 1 choice for sightseeing. Any help on how/costs to get there from the Ramada would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Parking at Liberty State Park is $7 and there is plenty of it. As mjkacmom mentioned you can go out to the SOL on the ferry and return to lower Manhattan to walk to the WTC Memorial. If you don't actually want to pay to go out to the SOL you can take the Liberty Landing ferry from Liberty State Park to the World Financial Center near the WTC Memorial. http://libertylandingferry.com/ $7/pp each way. If you go via the SOL, this ferry will also get you back to your car at Liberty State Park, but it does stop running at 8:45 pm weekdays and 7:45 pm weekends.

Your other options are NJ Transit bus from Frontage Road near the Ramada to Newark Penn Station and PATH to the WTC or NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. The bus only runs once an hour, so this could be at least a 1-1.5+ hour trip each way.

When you decide what strategy appeals, post back for more details.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Was intially thinking of taking a train from Newark Penn Station to the World Trade Center Station. Do you know is there parking available (and if so is it safe) as we could drive from Ramada to Newark Penn Station.

Also a ferry sounds interesting, but wondering about the temps at the end of Feb.

What day of the week would you be doing this and about what times? There is parking around Newark Penn Station, but I don't know the details.

PATH goes from Newark Penn Station to World Trade. From the Ramada I might be more tempted to drive to the Grove St or Exchange Place stations in Jersey City and pay to park there.

You can easily stay inside.

Yes, but you will have a short walk from the parking. Take a look at Google Earth so you know what to expect. This area is right on the water, so it could be "brisk" if it's a windy day.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Liberty+State+Park,+200+Morris+Pesin+Dr,+Jersey+City,+NJ+07305/@40.7098073,-74.0388555,16z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c250934b02cba3:0xbd6035c2e0daafcc?hl=en-us

Another option if visiting SOL is not required. We noticed while at the Ramada Plaza that a bus company offered 'shuttle ' service into NYC. I would suggest calling the hotel directly to enquire if this service is still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another option if visiting SOL is not required. We noticed while at the Ramada Plaza that a bus company offered 'shuttle ' service into NYC. I would suggest calling the hotel directly to enquire if this service is still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good suggestion! Some folks have mentioned it, but not often. It wasn't on my radar when I stayed there in Feb, but there's no harm in asking the hotel.

• 4 weeks later...