Manila 2018

garlictown

Our ship will be in Manila in March 2018 and I was wondering about the availability of taxi's outside the port.......and what form of currency is accepted ? I've seen some older posts but was hoping for some more current info.

Thank you! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Our ship will be in Manila in March 2018 and I was wondering about the availability of taxi's outside the port.......and what form of currency is accepted ? I've seen some older posts but was hoping for some more current info.

Thank you! :cool:

Good time to be there. Not too hot and not rainy season yet. Will your ship departs the same day or remain overnight? There are a lot of taxis by the port. The floating rate of Phil. peso to USD changes daily but the average rate is about P45/USD. Therefore, your "green" will go a long way. Like any tourist area, be aware of your surroundings. But typically, Filipinos are friendly people and they will love to practice their second language, English. Be safe.

• 3 months later...

Me again....we did have a good experience on our port stop in Manila! My husband and I walked off the ship to Rizal Park (turned right and walked along main street/Roxas Blvd). People were friendly and we took photos and continued walking through the park seeing Chinese Garden and large Confucius statue. We continued walking (left after park towards the Manila Cathedral entering Intramuras, the walled city).

Yes, you will see vendors offering tours but I wanted to be independent. My husband wanted a beer and we found a great cafe close to the Cathedral that was airconditioned and had free WiFi. I remember the sign outside said "coffee" (upstairs location) but there were other refreshments including a great smoothie for me! Afterwards, we continued on to Fort Santiago and paid the admission to walk around on our own. You will want to get at least $20 in their currency. The ship offered tours that were costly and we spent so little....even bargained for a taxi to return us to the ship. It was very warm or we would have walked back to the ship (March weather). Additionally, I had asked the crew for advice on the Holland America. It was a good DIY day for us.