Evening entertainment on Discovery Ships

We are shortly to depart on what will be our first Thomson cruise for around 15 years and wondered what the evening entertainment is like.

On other cruises we have taken there is normally a choice of two headliner shows which are scheduled one before and one after dinner. What is the format on these Thomson ships - is it the same and is the show in a theatre or showroom?

Also what is the other choice of evening entertainment - is there a show band playing a variety of dance music or are there comedy shows or is something provided by the entertainment team?.

I think there is an area with back screens with music playing but not sure if this is entertainment or background?

I also assume there is a late night dance venue.

I can see where the various venues might be on the deck plans but just hoping someone can give me an idea of how they operate throughout the cruise.

Hope to hear from someone who has recent Disco 1 and 2 experience.

Del.

We were on Discovery 2 earlier this year and will be back on board in 2 weeks time.

There is an attractive/comfortable theatre with 2 shows each evening - one at 8.30 and one at 10.30; the only exception is on the first night when there is only one performance at 9.30. You can enter the theatre quite a while before the shows begin and there are staff in there to take your drinks orders. To be honest, although we enjoyed all the shows especially an amazing Rock show, we didn't think the content of some was quite as good as on all the other Thomson ships we have been on - just our personal opinion; this is no reflection on the standard of the show team who were excellent.

Various groups and musicians play around the ship day and night (Venue Bar, Atrium Bar, on deck etc.) plus there are cabaret shows by individual members of the show team - one of the Assistant Cruise Directors did an amazing classical music recital on the Sunday lunchtime which shouldn't be missed. The following days schedule for all performances (times and venues) is clearly marked in the 'Cruise News; you receive each evening.

There is a guest comedian each week who does one family show and one late night show.

The 'Live Room' has on screen music but wasn't our thing so can't give you any info on this.

Bar Eleven - the Cocktail Bar up on deck 11 - becomes the late night disco (think this is from around 11.30 onwards but we were always in bed by then so not 100% sure of the timing lol); this bar can only be accessed via the glass elevators.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Campolady that covers most of the questions I had and thanks also to pensioncruiser (I did read your review). Hopefully we will enjoy our cruise. The only thing of concern from reading other reviews seems to be the lack of seating around the ship in the evening due to the number of people in the venues.

Del.