Caution for Allergy Sufferers

Carnevale

We are recently back from a wonderful cruise on the QE. We really enjoyed a lot of this sailing with the formal nights and amount of ballroom dancing a real plus. However, I had a challenge with allergies onboard and thought I should share this as an alert to other allergy sufferers and in the hopes Cunard will do more to address this issue.

SOAPS: I always travel with my own unscented soap and shampoo but at our last stop in London I left the soap behind and only discovered I was without it when we were sailing. As our first few days were at sea I had no chance to make a purchase on shore.

The soap products in our stateroom were extremely scented and, to my surprise, housekeeping did not have an unscented option (most better hotels will have a supply which is available on request and other cruise lines do as well). Housekeeping did go out of their way to help by offering to reimburse me when I found some but again, to my surprise, none of the soap products for sale on the ship were unscented. I eventually found some when we were in port.

SMOKE: I was also bothered by the smoking on the promenade deck. It surprised me that Cunard has made all of the starboard side a smoking zone. We love to walk around the promenade deck but the amount of smoking often made this difficult. If the smokers were limited to a smaller area it would be a great help or, better yet, would be a smoking area away from the much used promenade deck.

FRAGRANCES: In North America it seems the use of fragrances has declined but not on the QE (it could the older age of many guests as they are sometimes more accustomed to a heavier use of fragrances). While Cunard can't do anything other than ask that people use fragrances sparingly (which they didn't do, at least as far as I was aware) it would help if they didn't encourage onboard purchases. In particular, the day when the shops promoted fragrances and had them out in the middle area near the shops was very bad as a lot of the public space heading to the theatre and into the shops was so heavily scented I couldn't go anywhere near it.

My hope is that Cunard will take steps to address this where they can by limiting, or better yet moving, the smoking area on the promenade, gently suggesting restraint in the use of fragrances, and not promoting their sale on the ship (they carefully support those with gluten issues but don't seem to do anything for allergy sufferers). And to those who are going to sail on a Cunard ship, make sure you have a good supply of your own soaps and shampoo and come equipped with a supply of antihistamines to deal with the smoke and fragrances.

I only developed allergies recently and am surprised at how nasty they can be!

I wasn't aware the QE's starboard side was a smoking zone, I wonder if that is the same for QV, I sometimes have an odd bout of bronchitis so not sure how easy it would be for us to walk around the whole promenade that has one side dedicated to smoking as we like to walk around the ship. We don't find it a problem on QM2 because apart from the dedicated areas, smoking is limited to the aft on the promenade deck and if heavy we sometimes hold our breath until we get around this section. That said Cunarder smokers tend to be a very cheerful bunch considering their smoking limitations and we have had many a short passing banter while walking past, limited to one breath of course.

Edited by robbie_3

I wasn't aware the QE's starboard side was a smoking zone, I wonder if that is the same for QV, I sometimes have an odd bout of bronchitis so not sure how easy it would be for us to walk around the whole promenade that has one side dedicated to smoking as we like to walk around the ship. We don't find it a problem on QM2 because apart from the dedicated areas, smoking is limited to the aft on the promenade deck and if heavy we sometimes hold our breath until we get around this section. That said Cunarder smokers tend to be a very cheerful bunch considering their smoking limitations and we have had many a short passing banter while walking past, limited to one breath of course.

Limiting it to aft would be greatly appreciated but I expect to get some negative comments from those who enjoy smoking. With the full starboard side for smoking it means half the lounging chairs can't be used by some guests which is frustrating when that's the side with the sun or shade you want or the side with the view of the port. Moving it aft would overcome these concerns.

I do have some sympathy as I too have a severely allergic nose and can find heavy fragrances irritate it no end. But I think it is completely unrealistic to expect 2,000+ passengers to alter their use of products to suit me.

Many deodorants are heavily scented and they can irritate me as well as fragrances themselves. I make sure to use my nasal spray before “going out” in the evenings and fund that helps minimise the symptoms.

Glad to hear you had a lovely cruise :)

I'm not going to start a smoking debate, but yes, allergies are yet another reason to ban or severely limit smoking on board.

Realistically, I can't see Cunard having any influence on the use of fragrances by it's guests. I think depending on how bad the allergy is, this would always have to be something that an allergy sufferer considers when deciding whether a cruise holiday is their best option. With regards to promoting fragrances, maybe a helpful message in the daily program to advise guests when and where they will be promoting such products, so they can choose to avoid them if needed, might be an option.

I think having a small stock of fragrance free bathing products, on board for guests who require them, is a great idea. It's simple for Cunard to implement.

I have allergies to perfumed products. I have to use none perfumed washing power. I have recently contacted Queen Mary and will be accommodated with such a product for linen and towels. However, following us If the product is not suitable. I will also be taking my own washing liquid. Which is in simple to use pouches. I also use un-perfumed shower/hair/hand products. Re: other passengers perfumed products. I will be using a nasal spray and clear vaseline on the edges of my nostrils. I also suffer from hay fever and take anti allergy tablets. My husband find perfumes also irritating but is not allergic. He is not looking forward to the collection of perfumes that we will/may encounter. When regularly exposed to some perfumed products you can get use to them. The problem starts when its irregular and out of the blue random. I am unable to allow people I know well. To touch me because I can develop a rash quite quickly. It's best to avoid confined spaces like lifts. I don't know how well cruise ships also give consideration/connection to ardours/smells/perfumes to chest complaints/breathing. I am well aware and informed on my allergies and how to cope. Product allergies for some start off very randomly. People are not always aware that their symptoms are related to some form of allergic reaction. All quite unpleasant!