do I need local currency?

DougH

Sailing from Singapore (3 days pre cruise) to Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Should I get local currency for odds and ends while on tours or maybe just for pre cruise stay in Singapore? Or are US $$ readily accepted everywhere.

Sailing from Singapore (3 days pre cruise) to Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Should I get local currency for odds and ends while on tours or maybe just for pre cruise stay in Singapore? Or are US $$ readily accepted everywhere.

I am wondering the same. I am taking US$ for tours booked in Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh as this is what they have asked for. If US$ are readily accepted then I will take extra for bits and bobs. For Bangkok the tour company requires payment in Thai Baht and for Hong Kong I am planning on purchasing an Octopus Card but I believe this has to be purchased using HK dollars

Cambodia uses US dollars and it will vary in Vietnam whether they will take US dollars or Vietnamese Dong with many smaller places preferring Vietnamese money.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand use their own currency.

Malaysia I use their currency, though I did see in Langkawi, to hire beach umbrellas and loungers they had US and Malaysian prices. You did pay more using US dollars based on the exchange rate.

I am having the same dilemma. We will travel for 31 days going through 7 different countries.

Peking China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore,and Bali Indonesia.

Although most of our accommodations and several tours are prepaid or will be paid on site with credit cards or US Dollars requested, I am questioning the necessity and availability of local currencies.

As an example:

·The hotel includes a free airport shuttle in Peking, however it is customary to tip the driver, local or US currency?

·Our tour of the Great Wall in China will be paid in US dollars as requested by the tour operator; however we will have to pay out of pocket expenses for lunch and cable cars etc… can we use US currency or do we need local currency?

If we need local currencies should we buy it here in Canadabefore we leave or is it better to buy on location at the airport or hotels?

I am having the same dilemma. We will travel for 31 days going through 7 different countries.

Peking China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore,and Bali Indonesia.

Although most of our accommodations and several tours are prepaid or will be paid on site with credit cards or US Dollars requested, I am questioning the necessity and availability of local currencies.

As an example:

·The hotel includes a free airport shuttle in Peking, however it is customary to tip the driver, local or US currency?

·Our tour of the Great Wall in China will be paid in US dollars as requested by the tour operator; however we will have to pay out of pocket expenses for lunch and cable cars etc… can we use US currency or do we need local currency?

If we need local currencies should we buy it here in Canadabefore we leave or is it better to buy on location at the airport or hotels?

Tipping is not required in China; local currency only for your lunch and out of pocket buys.

Small merchants probably won't even accept your credit card. SWMBO tried using a Visa credit card to pay for dinner, nope sorry. No MasterCard or Discover either. Only Union Pay if they accept any card at all.

Exception would be major chain hotels that deal primarily with tourists or foreigners.

Best exchange rates is to get your Chinese currency in country is from bank branded ATMs. DO NOT go inside a Chinese bank and do a face to face exchange; you'll be there for hours :mad:

The Chinese are skipping cash & credit cards altogether and going to mobile pay apps, i.e. WeChat Pay (Wallet). Even some push cart vendors accept it and some vending machines only accept WeChat Pay, no cash or credit cards.

Just take some of your own currency and change and spend it as you go. Money changers are everywhere in Asia and happy to take your USD or Pounds etc. If you need to make larger purchases then use your cards.

Don"t change to much (your can also get more if need be) and best to get rid of it before you get back on the ship as some currencies like the Cambodia riel are only good for wallpapering your toilet if take outside the country.

We have been to most places mentioned on this thread and with most larger expenses already paid we normally changed about $50 Australia at each port which got us through most of the time.