CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hello, we are sailing on the Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty 11/11. From what I have read in this thread (thank you everyone!) I think I will book us at the Embassy Suites for one night precruise. They provide pickup from the airport and we can book a shuttle (for a fee) to take us to port the next day. Our flight arrives at EWR around noon, so we plan on checking into hotel and then we would like to go see the 9/11 Memorial. Taking a taxi or uber (we have not used uber yet but are willing to try) sounds like the easiest for us midwesterners who are not used to public transportation (and not even used to taxis much either, ha!), although I am sure we can figure it out if that would be convenient. My question is as to how expensive it would be to use a taxi to the 9/11 Memorial and is it easy to get a taxi to get back to our hotel then when we are ready to go back? Another question, I have also read that one can take a ferry across, is that a better option?

The other option is just to stay at a hotel near the 9/11 Memorial and then just taxi to the port the next day. Of course, we would have to taxi into Manhattan first from the airport, so I am thinking my first plan would be the easiest, less expensive?

Thank you for any help!!

I would look at staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton,

which is $30 less than Embassy Suites for your date when you compare the tax included prices. They have a free airport shuttle but no breakfast. The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. You would walk across to the station and take PATH to the World Trade Center for $2.75/pp. The next day you could take Uber or a cab to Cape Liberty. The Uber prices folks have been posting for this trip are less than the cost of the Embassy Suites shuttle for 2 people.

Taking a cab or Uber from Embassy Suites to the 911 Memorial and back is going to be pricey. It's an interstate trip between NJ and NY and you will pay a premium for that. The Tunnel tolls are $15 and there are turnpike tolls as well. Add in some traffic congestion and you could have a time consuming expensive trip.

Staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton is the easiest way for inexperienced out-of-towners to take advantage of the 22 minute PATH ride from Newark to WTC. To get back to EWR after the cruise, you can get a shared shuttle for $20/pp from the taxi dispatcher at the port.

W hotel. we may get the train over to NJ and catch an Uber from there if it is going to be cheaper/ faster....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Most likely it will be cheaper, but you'd have to price it and decide at that point.

The W is 4-5 blocks from the PATH entrance on Greenwich St. You'd take the train 1 stop to Exchange Place for $2.75/pp. At Exchange Place you can check Uber. If that's not working, you can go to the Hyatt right there and get a cab or you can hop on the light rail 8th Street Bayonne train to 34th St for $2.25/pp and try Uber again. These are the Bayonne cab numbers:

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I would look at staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton,

which is $30 less than Embassy Suites for your date when you compare the tax included prices. They have a free airport shuttle but no breakfast. The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. You would walk across to the station and take PATH to the World Trade Center for $2.75/pp. The next day you could take Uber or a cab to Cape Liberty. The Uber prices folks have been posting for this trip are less than the cost of the Embassy Suites shuttle for 2 people.

Taking a cab or Uber from Embassy Suites to the 911 Memorial and back is going to be pricey. It's an interstate trip between NJ and NY and you will pay a premium for that. The Tunnel tolls are $15 and there are turnpike tolls as well. Add in some traffic congestion and you could have a time consuming expensive trip.

Staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton is the easiest way for inexperienced out-of-towners to take advantage of the 22 minute PATH ride from Newark to WTC. To get back to EWR after the cruise, you can get a shared shuttle for $20/pp from the taxi dispatcher at the port.

Thank you 138east for the very helpful information! We are staying at the hotel with our points, so that is not as big a factor to us as the ease of transportation. I thought I had read from you in this thread that the area around the Newark Hilton might not be the best place to be in an evening, but perhaps I am remembering that incorrectly. If so, it certainly sounds easy enough for even us to ride this PATH :).

Thank you 138east for the very helpful information! We are staying at the hotel with our points, so that is not as big a factor to us as the ease of transportation. I thought I had read from you in this thread that the area around the Newark Hilton might not be the best place to be in an evening, but perhaps I am remembering that incorrectly. If so, it certainly sounds easy enough for even us to ride this PATH :).

Typically we don't recommend that out of town folks wander around on foot at night in downtown Newark. However, we recommend the 4* Hilton with its skywalk to Newark Penn all the time for folks who want easy access to both midtown and downtown NYC. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with folks coming and going well into the evening. I would suggest you plan to eat dinner in NY before you return.

Typically we don't recommend that out of town folks wander around on foot at night in downtown Newark. However, we recommend the 4* Hilton with its skywalk to Newark Penn all the time for folks who want easy access to both midtown and downtown NYC. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with folks coming and going well into the evening. I would suggest you plan to eat dinner in NY before you return.

Thank you, that is now our plan!!

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you, that is now our plan!!

I really appreciate your help!

Be sure to read the Hilton web site about how to connect with their shuttle. You have to let them know when you're arriving. You also have to take the Airtrain to the P4 stop for the shuttle pickup.

Be sure to read the Hilton web site about how to connect with their shuttle. You have to let them know when you're arriving. You also have to take the Airtrain to the P4 stop for the shuttle pickup.

Oh, thanks for the advance information! We will check out the airport online and let Hilton know in advance.

Just to confirm the convenience of staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton when you are flying into EWR and want to tour in Manhattan, we did just that in 2010 and again the end of August this year.

Our flight was supposed to land at 10:30, so we had called and scheduled the Hilton shuttle for 11:00. Our flight was delayed a couple hours, so I called while still at the airport and rescheduled it for 1:00. The shuttle was there waiting for us at P4 when we got there right at 1.

We dropped off our stuff in the room and walked through the skyway to the Station. Stopped at a kiosk and purchased a $22 metrocard (2 people x $2.75 x 4, for the round trip on PATH and a round trip on the subway between WTC and Times Square.)

We had a wonderful afternoon and evening on Manhattan. I had pre-purchased tickets for the 9/11 Museum (as an AF retiree, my husband was free, and as a veteran, I was half price) and the One World Observatory. Amazing! Then we took a subway to Times Square, had dinner at Junior’s, and saw “Come from Away”, which is now one of our very favorite musicals ever. Then we took the subway back to the WTC and then the PATH back to Newark.

The next morning I requested an Uber to the port at 9:30. The driver was right out front, and the Fare was less than $19 plus tip.

We also took an Uber from the port to EWR after the cruise. Also quick and inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My advice would be to book the morning of day 4 before you get to San Juan at 3 pm.

We were on the 12 night cruise this past year. That was my exact same thinking and that's what we did for NorthStar and guess what? TOO WINDY and they had to cancel all our reservations for that morning. We had to go re-book for later in the week.

Like you said....if only you had a crystal ball.

Just to confirm the convenience of staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton when you are flying into EWR and want to tour in Manhattan, we did just that in 2010 and again the end of August this year.

Our flight was supposed to land at 10:30, so we had called and scheduled the Hilton shuttle for 11:00. Our flight was delayed a couple hours, so I called while still at the airport and rescheduled it for 1:00. The shuttle was there waiting for us at P4 when we got there right at 1.

We dropped off our stuff in the room and walked through the skyway to the Station. Stopped at a kiosk and purchased a $22 metrocard (2 people x $2.75 x 4, for the round trip on PATH and a round trip on the subway between WTC and Times Square.)

We had a wonderful afternoon and evening on Manhattan. I had pre-purchased tickets for the 9/11 Museum (as an AF retiree, my husband was free, and as a veteran, I was half price) and the One World Observatory. Amazing! Then we took a subway to Times Square, had dinner at Junior’s, and saw “Come from Away”, which is now one of our very favorite musicals ever. Then we took the subway back to the WTC and then the PATH back to Newark.

The next morning I requested an Uber to the port at 9:30. The driver was right out front, and the Fare was less than $19 plus tip.

We also took an Uber from the port to EWR after the cruise. Also quick and inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Sue for all the helpful, detailed information!

My husband is also a veteran, and I didn't even think of purchasing the tickets in advance, I am sure that would save time.

I appreciate it!!

Okay I am new to this site and relize theres hundreds of posts. So ill just ask anyway. anybody take a bus/coach transfer from Springfield MA to cape liberty (bayonne?). ive seen numerous old old old post about a bus company, but every link for them is broken. anyways, i need help! i refuse to drive back home from there after an 8 day, alcohol infused vacation, so bus/coach transfer is a must. thanks again. PS ive cruised numerous times out of florida but this price was to good to pass up.

Okay I am new to this site and relize theres hundreds of posts. So ill just ask anyway. anybody take a bus/coach transfer from Springfield MA to cape liberty (bayonne?). ive seen numerous old old old post about a bus company, but every link for them is broken. anyways, i need help! i refuse to drive back home from there after an 8 day, alcohol infused vacation, so bus/coach transfer is a must. thanks again. PS ive cruised numerous times out of florida but this price was to good to pass up.

Unfortunately Academy Bus no longer runs a bus transfer from Springfield.

What is your cruise date? Chances are you're going to have to come down in some way the day before to ensure you don't miss the cruise.

Unfortunately Academy Bus no longer runs a bus transfer from Springfield.

What is your cruise date? Chances are you're going to have to come down in some way the day before to ensure you don't miss the cruise.

February 9, 2018. ill drive the 3.5 or so hours down. I just dont think my body will be able to on the way back hahaha

Hi we are staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ the night before our cruise and planning to park at the port. Any tips for navigating the bridge or traffic during our travels from hotel to ship? How early should we leave hotel? Thank You.

It's a Sat morning, so traffic should be OK. You get on the turnpike at exit 13A and go north one exit following the signs to exit 14A. At that exit follow the signs to Avenue E and go to 45th St where you make a left, follow the road to the end, make a left and follow the road out to the ship. I'd leave around 10 am so that you can be among the first to board. Lunch venues open at 11:00. Grab some lunch from the Cafe 270 and explore the ship until the cabins open at 1-1:30 pm.

It's a Sat morning, so traffic should be OK. You get on the turnpike at exit 13A and go north one exit following the signs to exit 14A. At that exit follow the signs to Avenue E and go to 45th St where you make a left, follow the road to the end, make a left and follow the road out to the ship. I'd leave around 10 am so that you can be among the first to board. Lunch venues open at 11:00. Grab some lunch from the Cafe 270 and explore the ship until the cabins open at 1-1:30 pm.

Thank You!

Hi all

Hoping someone can help me. We are coming off a cruise in Bayonne and would like to visit NYC for the day or take a tour

We will have a handicapped person with us that will have some mobility issues.

We will have a car.

So what would be the best way to go into the city either drive and park at a garage or take public transit from Bayonne.

We will be driving back to Boston after any suggestion appreciated

Hi all

Hoping someone can help me. We are coming off a cruise in Bayonne and would like to visit NYC for the day or take a tour ... have a handicapped person with ... some mobility issues ... will have a car.

So what would be the best way to go into the city either drive and park at a garage or take public transit from Bayonne. We will be driving back to Boston after ...

How many of you together - a car or minivan/suv ? weekday or weekend ??

What are the sights or places on your short list of must do & see ? Please provide as much details as possible for best brainstorming ideas & suggestions from all the informal expertise around here.

It doesn't really make sense to park somewhere in NJ, unless it's right across on the Hudson - ferry across the river, then, return & then drive back to Boston, bypassing Manhattan. Or, drive into NY upon embarkation & park in a garage (that can be $30 to $50 for a weekend day) close to where you wanted to sightsee, etc. Maybe take 1 or 2 short taxi ride (many are accessible friendly these days, at no extra charge) to get around - then, return to fetch the car & drive back to MA, itself a 3 to 4+ hours trip.

we are coming into Bayonne on a Saturday and have a mini van with 5 people. One blind person.

Would like to do a tour from a tour company of NYC.

That way we will be on a bus and and not have to walk to far and the other people can enjoy the tour. Any ideas would be helpful. You all have the best ideas.