Luggage Size Restrictions - Delta

sedaniel

Only on newer planes. Not getting 25" wheels first into an overhead on an older 737.

22" is the largest size I've seen allowed as carryon luggage. So if there's somebody checking at the gate or any other random point, that bag is going in the hold.

I'm ok with volume to pack in a 22" bag, but the weight will put me over most international carriers' weight limits, so even that small bag gets checked. On the way home from Johannesburg last week, the Cathay Pacific agent was incredulous that we only had one 22" bag each plus our personal items.

• 2 weeks later...

Our experience is that you cannot depend on the luggage manufacturers claims when it comes to dimensions or to weight.

You need to measure wheels to handle yourself and check the weight.

We just went through this when buying new carryon-the European/international size not the North American airline size. There is a differnce.

We actually took a cloth measuring tape when we shopped. Amazing how many 'tags' are wrong. And extra light does not mean extra light. It simply means lighter than the model that the particular bag replaced in that manufacturer's product line.

The other thing we learned is that buying luggage is akin to buying mattresses. Just about everyone has a 50-75 percent off sale. And the factory outlet luggage stores are stocked primarily with luggage that is made for them at that specific price point. Few bargains.

Get good zippers, great wheels that can easily be repaired/replaced.

• 1 month later...
Seventy pounds is a LOT of weight. Unless you've got very special circumstances, why do you need to pack so much?

It is very easy for me to always be between 50 and 70lbs, I am 6'4 270 lbs. My clothes are big! shoe size 13. A two week cruise finds me with a 30'' roller and a rolling garment bag!

• 2 weeks later...
Seventy pounds is a LOT of weight. Unless you've got very special circumstances, why do you need to pack so much?

Winter coats, sweatshirts, all long pants, long sleeved shirts, all add up very fast when on a two week vacation. Throw in your shampoo, and toiletries for two weeks. Add a power converter. It's easy to hit 50 pounds.

Winter coats, sweatshirts, all long pants, long sleeved shirts, all add up very fast when on a two week vacation. Throw in your shampoo, and toiletries for two weeks. Add a power converter. It's easy to hit 50 pounds.

Power converter??? I thought no one carried one of those any longer. There are these cool new gadgets called "dual voltage" appliances. I haven't had to carry a power converter (along with the tax bypass devices for using a computer on a phone line) since a trip to a town in what was the former East Germany back in 2000...

How many winter coats are you packing? Sweatshirts are not travel friendly - they weigh, they are bulky, they take up space. There are better options that weigh less, and take up less space. I can put liquid toiletries for a 2 week trip easily in my Kippie 3-1-1 bag. If I need more, I buy. No biggie.

Some of us pack light and nimbly and still manage to be well-dressed. Some of us pack as much as we can legally pack and don't worry. Maybe one of these days I'll bring out the steamer trunk (aka "foot locker") my Mom bought me as my "going away to college" present. It currently serves as the nightstand in my guest bedroom...

LOL I had one of those foot lockers when I was in college. Then it stored “stuff” in the garage for many years. No longer have it.

Seriously, no need to pack a coat because you can take it on the plane in addition to your allowed luggage/personal item. You don’t have to wear it-just carry it and use it as a pillow or blanket during the flight. That should free up some space and weight.