Christmas Cruise: dining waitlist & other procrastinator issues?

Jessie2013

In a last minute decision this week, we decided we'd like to take a cruise over Christmas. I'm usually one to plan well in advance (next year's cruise has already been booked since the day the itinerary was released), so planning with such short notice is new to me. I'm looking at the Fantasy.

The cabins are available and they are so expensive. Before I shell out all of this money, I'd like to understand what I potentially may be missing out on if I book so late.

My primary concern is dining. We have someone in our party that has a medical condition that would require them eating dinner around their standard/reasonable dinner time, the first seating. Of course that is already sold out. I was told we can be waitlisted for the first seating, but how likely is that to happen for this Christmas cruise? I realize there are other dining options on board around that time and that is what we would do if needed, but it would mean we're paying a premium for to travel over Christmas and wouldn't be able to enjoy the dining room ever.

I also read that you have to get tickets to gingerbread house making. Would these be sold out by now?

What other items would I be putting at risk or missing out on if I book this late?

Also, anyone else want to chime in with all the reasons why spending a small fortune for this cruise is worth it, I'd like the small doses of encouragement to push me over the edge to book :)

Tickets to the Gingerbread House making were handed out after boarding--I don't know whether that has changed. Also, during our last Christmas cruise, people who missed out on tickets were instructed to show up and line up (a separate line than ticketed families. So many people who had tickets didn't show up that they were able to seat all of the waiting families but 1, and given that situation they went and got another table and seated the last family. The tickets are free, but you must have them--one per family or group of 4 persons. If your party is more than 5, you'd get 2 tickets. For 5, they just add on to the 4 by bringing an extra chair.

As to dining--yes, you can wait list, but you'll be better off doing a "special needs" request in addition. This will allow you to explain that main dining is a medical need, not a social one. Again, they can point out the other available food venues.

Special character meet and greets might be full, you may not be able to get the excursions you want.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the Christmas price premium--we love cruising the second week of December. True, we miss a few of the "Christmas cruise only" events, but those are very few and in my mind don't justify the premium price.

We are on the Dream over Christmas and have not yet been given the opportunity to register for Gingerbread House tickets. Also, most of the character events on our ship are repeated 2 or 3 times. They are sold out on some days/times but tickets are still available for several. Almost all of the Sports Simulator activities are now sold out. All the boozy activities were sold out before first time cruisers even had the chance to register! :(