Solo traveler

smeeville

This will be my first time going solo , and my first time on a Cunard ship. Just wanted to know if there are many solo travelers or is this a very much couples line. Wanted to do this trip for the formal nights and the destination. This was my dream holiday , but I have times when I think have I done the right thing. So if anyone has done a solo trip on Cunard , or is going on the QV May 5th it would be nice to get some feed back.

Sue

This will be my first time going solo , and my first time on a Cunard ship. Just wanted to know if there are many solo travelers or is this a very much couples line. Wanted to do this trip for the formal nights and the destination. This was my dream holiday , but I have times when I think have I done the right thing. So if anyone has done a solo trip on Cunard , or is going on the QV May 5th it would be nice to get some feed back.

Sue

Hi smeeville/Sue, very quickly,

I think that Cunard is very suitable for singles, ask to be placed at a larger (6 or 8 person) table. I know others will wish to add to this, but my advice would be to stop being concerned, you have definitely "done the right thing" :)

All best wishes, Happy Sailings!

I completed a solo QM2 crossing in September and had similar concerns pre-trip. Much wasted energy for nothing! My table was a mix of solos and couples and we clicked well. I met people at bars and lectures and strolling the promenade deck. And I found the right balance of "me" alone time, too.

No need to be concerned- you'll have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't worry. Plenty of solo travellers on board. Each sea day there is a hosted coffee morning where you can meet other solos. Only a rough guess, but from my experience with Cunard, I'd say that about 10% of the passengers are solos. I cruise as a solo and haven't found any line apart from Celebrity to be unfriendly towards a solo traveller.

When I did the World Voyage in 2014, 18% of the people doing the full WV were solo! I was at a table for 10 and we were all solos. I only went to one of the morning get togethers (just not my thing) but I often passed by them and there were always a good number of people present.

Hello,

I did my first solo Cunard cruise on QV when she was brand new for her first Panama Canal transit in 2008. I joined the roll call on here and then met several new friends on the cruise that I still keep in touch with. It was also the first leg of the world cruise that year. They assigned me to a small table of 3 other solos and as Pepper said a larger table would have been more to my liking. Enjoyed it though and had a great time on that cruise. Plus it began with fireworks in NY Harbor ( the first 3 Queens in NY celebration) WOW! I have done about 7 more solo cruises on Cunard since then. Have 2 more scheduled for 2018 although my friend will be in the cabin next door. We managed to get Single ocean view cabins on QM2 for a B2B.:cool:

Denise

To add a little more reassurance about traveling solo on Cunard, I have been on about 15 cruises on about 10 different cruise lines, including 2 on the Queen Mary 2 and Cunard was the best in terms of setting up the dining arrangements with other solo passengers and having plenty of activities to keep a solo passenger entertained/engaged. I just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise and although I loved the ship (Harmony of the Seas), it was much less accommodating for solo passengers so I am planning on going back to Cunard next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I will be sailing on Cunard for the first time next year. I am a solo traveler, and I find I am a bit disappointed hearing that Cunard tend to lump all the singles together for dining. I would much prefer the diversity of couples as well as the odd single. On previous cruises with HAL, Princess and Celebrity I always choose set traditional dining and really enjoy the company of a mixture of dining companions. I don't need or want special events for solo/single passengers. I would probably avoid these like the plague!! ;p I have found that some of the best times I have had, and the longer on-going friendships formed, have been with couples.

Regards

Jan

Hi Everyone. I will be sailing on Cunard for the first time next year. I am a solo traveler, and I find I am a bit disappointed hearing that Cunard tend to lump all the singles together for dining. I would much prefer the diversity of couples as well as the odd single. On previous cruises with HAL, Princess and Celebrity I always choose set traditional dining and really enjoy the company of a mixture of dining companions. I don't need or want special events for solo/single passengers. I would probably avoid these like the plague!! ;p I have found that some of the best times I have had, and the longer on-going friendships formed, have been with couples.

Regards

Jan

Hi Jan...I wouldn't be concerned about being lumped together with the other singles. I often travel solo and I can't remember ever been seated with a table of singles, the MD is always available to change tables, or if you prefer, the day you embark he is available from usually 2pm to make any table changes and you could always check the makeup of the table with him in advance..... Have quiet word with him and I'm sure hell be able to accommodate you.

Cunard is great for Solo travellers.