Dirty dishes question

CCC3

I hate putting the stuff in the hallway, land or sea. We throw away anything that can be thrown away and stack everything else and leave it in the room. It has always been gone when we return.

I am a rule follower by nature though so if I was instructed to put the dishes in the hallway I would. But I wouldn't be happy about it. I do think cluttered halls are a safety concern, even in hotels where the halls tend to be wider than on a ship.

When we were on Oasis, people were TOLD, yes TOLD, to put their used room service dishes in the hallway for prompt pickup.

The same has been true on Carnival -- we were told "officially" to put room-service dishes in the hallway for pickup.

What a mess the hallways always were! :eek:

We thought it could get nasty also, but on our last cruise I was pleased to note that the dishes DID seem to be picked up fairly quickly.

The same has been true on Carnival -- we were told "officially" to put room-service dishes in the hallway for pickup.

Hear you! When you are officially told to put the dirty room service dishes in the hall,

seems there is no other option.

On my recent Oasis cruise I saw people leaving just one plate and a glass in the hallway....I was like really? If we had late night room service or breakfast in the morning, we left it in the room and when we came back later everything would be gone. No problem!

It's just gross, and dangerous to put those dirty dishes, glasses, etc. out in the hallway. Someone is bound to trip over one (have seen that happen) and then the left over food/drink is all over the hallway. Not a sanitary practice at all for a company that tries to be so.

We simply stack ours neatly in the cabin and let the cabin attendant pick them up. Used wine glasses, they almost always replace with new ones for our wine.

It is not the stateroom attendants responsibility to take of. Food and beverage is a completely separate department. Call room service for a pick up

We also leave our dirty dishes in the stateroom. Our stateroom attendents have always removed them. We have never called room service to remove them.

Much safer to leave them in the stateroom, as the hallway floor could be a tripping hazard (and very unsanitary).

It is not the stateroom attendants responsibility to take of. Food and beverage is a completely separate department. Call room service for a pick up

That's strange. I have many times seen that cart that the cabin attendants neatly stack glasses/dishes/silverware on. Usually shared by a couple of them as it sits in the hallway when they are cleaning the rooms in the morning. Also have seen the attendants in one of the service rooms rinsing them down to place in a larger cart.

We just return dishes etc to the Buffett

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done that also for single small plates and cups.

We also pick up our dishes to place in bus trays after eating a snack or lunch outside (Aft Radiance ships WJ) when there are no attendants around. Keeps them from blowing around and birds from coming in looking for opportunities. :o We do that in Solarium cafe too.

In a hotel, we call Room Service to pick up the dishes etc. On a cruise ship, the cabin stewards take care of them. If you want to have them cleared away earlier, call Room Service if that's where they came from.

In all my years of cruising various lines, I've never had a steward leave any soiled dishes, glasses, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a recent cruise our neighbor kept putting his room service tray in front of our door. We asked him not to do it but he continued to put the tray there. Spoke to the room steward and he piled up several trays in front of the neighbor's door. The guy couldn't get out of his room without moving all of them. He never put his tray out again.

On one of our cruises, when I called the Room Service department and requested take-away of the dirty dishes, the person told me "just to put them outside the door". :( My husband is sort of OCD about this, so he very carefully stacks and categorizes "like" sizes into a small neat stack for the steward.

On one of our cruises, when I called the Room Service department and requested take-away of the dirty dishes, the person told me "just to put them outside the door". :( My husband is sort of OCD about this, so he very carefully stacks and categorizes "like" sizes into a small neat stack for the steward.

Per above, problem is .... some cruise lines TELL you to leave the dirty trays outside by the door. :(

That's how it is supposed to work. Presumably they then come get them.

I used to make the assumption that room service would make a note of where they delivered trays, and would come later to pick them up in the hallway. However, when I didn't see that happening on cruises, I began leaving them in my cabin for the attendant to take.

I guess less of this is a perk of the increased charges for room service.

Should be cleaner w less orders.

Ok I have missed something - 15 HAL -1 Royal. Do cruises lines CHARGE for Room Service now? HAL doesn’t. What happened?