Medallion roll out slower than anticipated

LibrarianMonroe

Has anyone actually gotten an email saying that they are included? I have not gotten a single email from them yet.

Also, is deck 12 forward actually going to have a medallion or were you just giving a random example?

It was just an example.

So far the complaints about not being in an included cabin are happening. I guess we’ll have to wait until the cruises to hear the complaints from those that have it...

Here's a different take:

Princess will have interactive displays throughout the ship. If you do not bring your own, these displays can be used and will work in conjunction with your medallion. So, no you don't HAVE to have a smart phone or a notebook/laptop/tablet but it would certainly be more convenient.

How is it more convenient, especially when someone dressed formally on formal night with NO pockets and doesn't want to have a phone / laptop / tablet in their hands at all times. I think it's very inconvenient and as I already stated will OPT OUT or the medallion will just fall overboard for a nice swim to the bottom of the ocean. I do see a lot of people are addicted to their phones, even on the freeways and highways but I'm not one of them.

Without intending to be rude, I hope those who are going to be wet-blankets about not having been chosen to participate can have the chance to stay home. For all of us who are going on the cruise to be "going on a cruise", regardless of being chosen or not, can certainly do without your negative energy in our midst.

So feel this way. We are on the 12/28 cruise on the Regal. We did not book because of the Ocean Medallion in fact I was not looking forward to the new technology. I know I am weird. My DH & I cruise to get away from this stuff. We have it all, we use it everyday, just like to take a break from it. Being able to post everything I do quickly on social media is not an advantage to me. I don't really want people to know what I am doing every minute. We don't need to be in touch with people back home every minute. If we need to get in touch with them we can & do. I know many are looking forward to this new technology but this girl will gladly give mine to someone else. As far as Princess knowing what I want to drink and showing up with it out of the blue, I like different drinks all day which one will they choose? I think they are smart rolling this out a little at a time. I see all kinds of problems with this. So if you are on the 12/28 cruise and you don't get picked for the medallion & I do you can have mine. It is hard to believe someone would cancel their cruise over this but ok?????

We haven't received any email yet. We were looking forward to trying the new system. Seems like they are probably sending out a lot of emails. Guess I'll have to check in the morning to see where we stand.

Sigh....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We didn't get an email but we called and asked and when they said no we ended up walking away with $500... I suggest you do the same...

I am on the first 3 Medallion cruises in November. I received the below email for each of the 3 cruises today stating that we are in the selected group. We are in a different cabin for each cruise and we are selected for all 3.

Dear Regal Princess Guest,

Your upcoming cruise on Regal Princess is one in a series of preview sailings that will begin to introduce Ocean Medallion Vacations — offering an enhanced and personalized guest experience. As our guest, we deeply value our relationship with you and remain committed to keeping you informed. With that in mind, we are writing to share information about our preview cruise activation schedule.

The creation of Ocean Medallion Vacations involves very sophisticated technology that hasn’t existed prior to now. It also involves extensive modifications to our onboard operations combined with new training for our crew. To most effectively implement our new enhanced guest experiences, we are managing a phased activation process that will make Ocean Medallion Vacations available to a select number of guests on each preview cruise. This will allow us to receive continuous feedback from a controlled number of guests and crew while the ship is in service. During the preview cruise period, which will run into spring 2018, we will activate Ocean Medallion features by adding in groups of staterooms in phases versus activating the entire ship at one time.

What does this mean for you?

Congratulations, the stateroom you have selected is in a group that will be activated during your cruise. You will receive an email notification and an Ocean Medallion Concierge will contact you to provide guidance on how to become Ocean Ready™ a few weeks prior to the cruise.

All guests on all preview cruises will be among the first to enjoy a collection of new experience enhancements created to make your vacation more connected, engaging and enjoyable. Including:

• MedallionNet™ Wi-Fi – the best wi-fi experience on a cruise ship - fast, reliable, pervasive and affordable with an access point in every stateroom – enabling guests to share their vacation experiences with family and friends more quickly on social media. And during your preview cruise, MedallionNet will be:
    • Complimentary for our Platinum & Elite guests
    • Reduced daily rates for all other guests

• The newly renovated Princess Cruises terminal at Port Everglades – featuring a multi-million-dollar upgrade that makes your arrival experience more engaging and comfortable.

• The all-new Princess Cruises’ Sail Away Celebration which includes a thematic and musical sendoff that reflects the destinations that are part of your itinerary, the nationalities of the guests onboard and photos shared by guests and crew.

We thank you for choosing Regal Princess for your upcoming cruise vacation. Whether it’s fresh local cuisine, world-class entertainment or enriching experiences, we look forward to creating memorable moments for you.

Exceeding your expectations is always our commitment and we look forward to hosting you on your upcoming vacation. If you have any questions, please contact your travel professional or contact us by calling 1-800-774-6237 (North America), 0344 338 8663 (UK), 13 24 88 (Australia), or 0800 780 717 (New Zealand).

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I think it's very inconvenient and as I already stated will OPT OUT or the medallion will just fall overboard for a nice swim to the bottom of the ocean.

While you can opt out of most things, the medallion will be your door key, so... if its on the ocean floor, you'll be spending a lot of time in the lounges, I guess?

I am on the first 3 Medallion cruises in November. I received the below email for each of the 3 cruises today stating that we are in the selected group. We are in a different cabin for each cruise and we are selected for all 3.

Congratulations! Just out of curiosity, what category of cabin are you in? And are you in the same general location and / or deck for all 3 cruises? I'm on a cruise on the Regal in December and haven't heard anything yet about our cruise. Maybe it is futile to try to guess the scheme they are using to determine Medallion vs. not but if you wouldn't mind, please share!

With a phased rollout now planned on the Regal, I wonder why Princess doesn't move up the roll out for the other ships. It may reduce the number of upset passengers. If the ships aren't ready, I also wonder why the physical changes can't also be moved up.:confused:

Here are the cabin categories we are in for the 3 cruises I referenced in my post above:

Nov 13th - S5 Full Suite on Aloha Forward

Nov 15th - MC Mini Suite on Marina MId Forward

Nov 19th - BC Balcony on Lido Forward

As my earlier post states, all 3 of these cruises are Medallion

Your guess is as good as mine as to why we are Medallion and others aren't. It would of been nice if everyone was on it with us.

I would rather them doing it right than find a $37,827.34 bar tab on my chip at disembarkation.

By the way, this technology is not new. Two years with Traker on my keys. Only thing new is how it's used.

If Princess is listening, can settings be personalized? Limited/no buying capability? alarm should medallion enter certain areas of ship? disabling location pinging? or how about ability to downloading actual daily movements for entire day (we kind of do this now my organizing drink receipts)

Without intending to be rude, I hope those who are going to be wet-blankets about not having been chosen to participate can have the chance to stay home. For all of us who are going on the cruise to be "going on a cruise", regardless of being chosen or not, can certainly do without your negative energy in our midst.

You could probably start by not reading a thread entitled:

"Medallion roll out slower than anticipated"

Michael (the guy on the right!!),

My friends and I are sailing with you in March and we're wondering the same thing. I think we've talked on our roll call and I've mentioned my inability to embrace technology; but after all the talk about the Medallion, I will be disappointed if I don't get to play with this new toy. As soon as I found this thread this morning, I added questions about the Medallion to the list I have for the Princess rep who is scheduled to come to an expo at my TA's office on Saturday. Oh wait, he just cancelled!!! Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you...with or without the Medallion, we'll have a great time.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I agree, it will be disappointing if we're not included in the Medallion rollout, but that wasn't the reason we booked this cruise and we'll survive. There are many Princess cruises in our future, so we'll just have to be patient. :D

We will have a great time on this cruise (we always do). BTW, I'm no techie but if you are lucky enough to be anointed with a medallion, I'd be happy to assist. ;)

Hi Susan,

I agree, it will be disappointing if we're not included in the Medallion rollout, but that wasn't the reason we booked this cruise and we'll survive. There are many Princess cruises in our future, so we'll just have to be patient. :D

We will have a great time on this cruise (we always do). BTW, I'm no techie but if you are lucky enough to be anointed with a medallion, I'd be happy to assist. ;)

I would be the person that would only use it to open my cabin door and make a purchase in the gift shop!!! So the whole concept is lost on me anyway! I feel bad for those who were looking forward to it and won't be using it after all!

See you in March:cool:

Susan

This technology isn't new...just new for princess! Disney has been doing for years with their Magic Bands. Disney however perfected it on land prior to putting on their ships. I'm sailing on Nov 26 I too received an email that I wasn't in the focus group. To be honest I'm glad I'm not until they get all the bugs out of system!

Here are the cabin categories we are in for the 3 cruises I referenced in my post above:

Nov 13th - S5 Full Suite on Aloha Forward

Nov 15th - MC Mini Suite on Marina MId Forward

Nov 19th - BC Balcony on Lido Forward

As my earlier post states, all 3 of these cruises are Medallion

Your guess is as good as mine as to why we are Medallion and others aren't. It would of been nice if everyone was on it with us.

Thanks for sharing and I hope it turns out to be a good experience for you.

Our Nov 19 Regal cruise has NEVER been listed as an "Ocean Preview Cruise". But now Princess is saying ALL Medallion cruises thru spring of 2018 are "Preview Cruises".

This is plain and simple false advertising, and they're currently still selling these Nov Regal cruises as Ocean Medallion cruises knowing that most people won't be getting the full medallion experience.

Princess ran a contest earlier this year with the winner getting a free cruise to experience Medallion Class on the first Medallion Class sailing.

I wonder if that winner will be in a cabin that actually is part of the Medallion preview.

I have to respectively disagree with my IT colleagues who have previously posted. This last minute announcement of a phased approach is a complete and utter failure in both planning and execution.

Princess announces this program with pomp and circumstance about complete rollout 1 ship at a time. Followed up with multiple videos 2 months later about how great they are and that they completely installed the hardware in a single 8 day dry dock.

If this had been planned correctly the limited trials would have been running for the past 60 days. Ocean Compass would have been released 2 months ago.

If this would have happened at my company (a Fortune 50 company) the Program Director and a few dept heads would looking for new employment. Of course the VP in charge would be promoted <sic> but that's a whole other story LOL.

This is a simple case of alligator mouth overloading mockingbird @ss.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app