Transatlantic cruises for "oldies"

eliana

UiWe are both over age 80. Would it be I wise to book a long transatlantic cruise with more than seven days continuously at sea? What would happen if one of us became seriously ill?

Edited by eliana

We have been on many Atlantic Crossings when someone had to be evacuated from the ship.

Often there are port stops. Many times you are not that far from an area where they can take you off and once in awhile someone is evacuated by helicopter.

Keith

Over 80 - Just getting started are we? Cunard offers 7 day transatlantic cruises and they have one of the best on-board medical facilities should you over eat or sprain an ankle doing the quick step in the Queens Rooms at 11:00 pm. Highly recommend it. It can also be extremely relaxing with a fine library, enrichment lectures, concerts, movies and of course daily afternoon white gloved tea in the Queens Room.

I am but 77 and have booked a back to back NYC to Soton and back to NYC in December. Looking forward to much dancing and general socializing plus food etc.

• 3 months later...
UiWe are both over age 80. Would it be I wise to book a long transatlantic cruise with more than seven days continuously at sea? What would happen if one of us became seriously ill?

My husband turned 85 in March. We celebrated by taking our 7th transatlantic cruise in April, 16 days to Barcelona and then 3 days in Barcelona before flying home. We make sure we have good insurance which covers Pre-existing conditions and medical evacuation. TravelGuard is our company of choice.

Ships are equipped with medical centers which can do EKG's and Xrays. There is at least one Dr, sometimes more. If necessary a medical evacuation to nearest land can be arranged.

I would not let age keep from doing a transatlantic. They are so relaxing.

Can't see why not.

If your thinking about getting evacuated, I wouldn't take a cruise. Think about a land vacation. If you still want to take a TA, go with Cunard for a 7 day! Don't forget most ships have a refrigerator, in case you pass during dinner. My last Alaska cruise, a wonderful lady passed during the soup appetizer. She enjoyed the rest of the cruise below decks, but it's a great way to go!

• 1 month later...

go,go,go I am 82 have 15 TA under my belt.

Got 2 more cruises booked for this year.

Transatlantic is the best way to rest and the sea air does wonders for us the older folks.

And the crew they love, love, love us.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Go for it.

We have done 9 TA's and only once have we had a medical evacuation. We were on the Northern Crossing and the ship changed course and we sailed toward Greenland in order to get close enough for Canadian Air Force to get a helicopter out to the ship.

Life is too short to worry about such things. Live your life to the fullest.