Anthem of the seas *the gift* questions

Hi guys, I am not sure if I should make reservations for this show as I am not quite sure what it is about. Has anyone seen this? I've heard it is hard to follow.

I was thinking about Spectra and We will rock you?

Thanks

Hi,

I was speaking to one of the dancers who used to do this show when it first came out and even she didn't know what it was about! She did say it has been changed and evolved since then.

When I saw it on Anthem last year, I fell asleep in the performance, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Spectra's cabaret and We Will Rock You are very entertaining and well worth making reservations to go to them.

Kevin Kennedy (Curly Watts from Coronation Street) was in the Gift and We Will Rock You when we saw them.

Pete

We thought it was wonderful, but we had to see it twice before we fully understood it. You really have to pay attention during the first 5 minutes to understand what is going on and to be able to follow the plot.

It's about a widower and his 2 children who are overwhelmed by grief over the death of the wife/mother. The widower copes by getting drunk, and the children are also involved in self-destructive behavior. So, the woman tries to communicate with them from heaven and guide them into enjoying life again. It is sad and I cried at the end, but I really loved it!

Edited by DonnaK

Hi,

I was speaking to one of the dancers who used to do this show when it first came out and even she didn't know what it was about! She did say it has been changed and evolved since then.

When I saw it on Anthem last year, I fell asleep in the performance, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Spectra's cabaret and We Will Rock You are very entertaining and well worth making reservations to go to them.

Kevin Kennedy (Curly Watts from Coronation Street) was in the Gift and We Will Rock You when we saw them.

Pete

Okay thank you.. I know my dh is not really into the show thing so this would definitely not be for him. lol

We thought it was wonderful, but we had to see it twice before we fully understood it. You really have to pay attention during the first 5 minutes to understand what is going on and to be able to follow the plot.

It's about a widower and his 2 children who are overwhelmed by grief over the death of the wife/mother. The widower copes by getting drunk, and the children are also involved in self-destructive behavior. So, the woman tries to communicate with them from heaven and guide them into enjoying life again. It is sad and I cried at the end, but I really loved it!

Okay thank you. I think we will pass on this one. My dh is not a big show guy to begin with and this may set him over the edge. lol I will stick to Spectra an We will rock you.

I have to say it does sound interesting..

We saw it last week, and ditto on all the comments. At least they explained in the first few minutes that they were all ghosts helping the father/children. The interesting part is that the music is all popular songs (mostly) that fit into the story. So even if you don't follow the story, the performance itself is not too bad. I think my DH also fell asleep during this one.

Okay thank you. I think we will pass on this one. My dh is not a big show guy to begin with and this may set him over the edge. lol I will stick to Spectra an We will rock you.

I have to say it does sound interesting..

We did not enjoy The Gift at all, really wished we had left early. We loved both Spectra and We Will Rock You. We went to all three shows with my 80 year old mother and her favorite show was We Will Rock You! I was very surprised that she liked that one so much, but she said she had heard a lot of the music over the years raising 5 kids.

Hi guys, I am not sure if I should make reservations for this show as I am not quite sure what it is about. Has anyone seen this? I've heard it is hard to follow.

I was thinking about Spectra and We will rock you?

Thanks

Both shows sucked. We walked out on both shows and we weren't the only ones. In speaking with someone that enjoyed it, he concluded that the gift was love--so corny. To this day don't know if that is the conclusion.

Thanks for the storyline. I saw it in January, had not a clue and thought it was a waste of time. Going again this January and just booked this show today. I doubt I will find it as wonderful as you did but perhaps it will now be easier to follow along.

The cast of the gift..singing..was great...if you like theatre it was worth seeing...pay close attention in the beginning. We did not enjoy Spectra..but again appreciate the talent..we will rock you was excellent...although not so sure the audience understood alot of the lines that were lyrics to songs... i am in my early 60's and "got it" musicians and singers very talented! Off Anthem yesterday... favorite place Schooner bar. Piano players..especially "Jake"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DonnaK, thanks for the explanation, now I'll be prepared for it. We'll be on Anthem for first time in April. Always try to squeeze as much as possible into our cruises and will be booking all the shows. DH can sleep through it if he wants, wouldn't be the first time he slept in a theatre

I thought The Gift was quite beautiful and worth seeing; also, it's not that long, you won't have much time invested.

I did not particularly enjoy Spectra, it really wasn't my thing, but I appreciated how exceptional it was to see something like this on a cruise ship.

The first half of We Will Rock You is pretty cartoonish imho, but it picked up in the last 45 minutes or so and the finale was terrific. Again, pretty amazing to see something like this on a cruise ship.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences of these shows. I will not do the gift as I know for sure my dh would not like it. However, I will try the other two. Worse case scenario we leave if it is that bad.

Thanks again guys!! BTW some of the responses had me laughing. :D

I think you should see all 3 shows, as everyone likes different things. Even reading the opinions shared on this thread, you can see some people liked The Gift and some didn't, along with the other two shows.

DH and I saw all three on the Oct. 1st sailing and our opinions were: we did not like Spectra's Cabaret, we loved The Gift and not hard to follow the story at all btw, & we LOVED We Will Rock You.

So go with an open mind and see how YOU like them :)

Dina

On our 12 day Anthem cruise, the Gift was performed toward the last half of the cruise. If you book it a bit later in the cruise, you'll find that on the TV they showed The Making of the Gift.

As we has already seen it and were a bit confused, it would have made more sense to watch this special prior to seeing it in person.

It was a bit weird, dark and depressing. I'd rather NOT feel that way on a cruise.

Spectra was weird on the other end of the scale.

We Will Rock You was fantastic!

Go to The Gift without your husband if you don't think he will like it. For me, it was difficult to understand the words that were being sung. I left before Spectra finished--I just wasn't into it. We Will Rock You got really good halfway through.

Edited by parrotfeathers

Just got off the AoTS on 10.20.16, hope to post a review soon :)

As for the shows, here is my take on it:

The Gift - performers are talented, and it was enjoyable (not depressing in my opinion). Get there early so you can sit towards the middle for full effect. My 4 yr old stayed awake for the whole show.

We Will Rock You - I was in the pool with my LO, so my wife and other relatives went. She loved it and enjoyed it very much.

Spectra's Cabaret - again, talented performers and enjoyable. My LO fell asleep haha. Quite different than The Gift, but we had a good time.

With all that said, I don't go to theaters, and cannot say I "got" everything - but I just went in with an open mind and enjoyed the shows. After all, I was on a vacation!! :)

Everyone will have a different perspective; I'd recommend making the reservations, and leave early if it is not to your taste.

• 11 months later...

I have seen The Gift twice and still have no idea what it is about. But, the scenery is beautiful, and the cast is quite talented. I would see it a third time just because of that. Why not make reservations for all the shows and if you find you are not enjoying one, walk out.

I haven't seen any of these yet (going on th 11.4 sailing), but I figure, I'm on a cruise, might as well give them a shot (and hey, it's a couple of hours I'm not coaxed into spending more money :) ). I've heard mixed on The Gift with most people liking the other two. lIke others have said, worst comes to worst, I'll sleep though The Gift :)

I saw all three of those shows! I loved We Will Rock You- I thought it was awesome and kept me entertained. The performers for the Gift were great but the story line was a bit difficult to follow. I fell asleep during Spectra's Cabaret on one of the sofas in the back. It was not my favorite show. That's not saying that the performers weren't great as well but I wasn't able to stay interested.

The Gift was okay for a one shot deal. We saw We Will Rock You four times, loved it. Spectras was good, it showcases all the things 260 has to offer. You can always leave if you are not enjoying any of the shows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Spectra's even better if you see it in 270! ;):D:D

The Gift is worth watching just for the talent on display...the cast is excellent!

Like many others, my wife and I had no idea what the plot was, but enjoyed it nonetheless. :)