Car rental recommendation for Maui

trvlgrl422

Hi! I'm traveling on POA and would like to get a car rental for one full day (9am-10PM). I am hesitant to book anywhere because I've heard about the long waits to pick up the car and overnight parking issues at the port. It looks like the best thing to do would be a one day pick up and drop off which looks like I'll need to go to the airport. Any recommendations for a company without hassles.

All the standard companies are there- Hertz, Avis, National, etc.. If they are busy, there will be a line. No dodging that. The things that help are status with a car company. Hertz, for example, if you have status, no line, you get off the shuttle and go direct to the car, if you are Gold #1. We do it regularly at Maui.

Many others on this board have mentioned Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. I booked through them for 1 day also for this February and it is with Thrifty Car Rental. I have a pick up at the pier with their shuttle and to the airport to get the car. Pickup of the car is for 9am and drop off at 5pm. Price for the day was very good in relationship to a cab to get to Lahaina.

Hi! I'm traveling on POA and would like to get a car rental for one full day (9am-10PM). I am hesitant to book anywhere because I've heard about the long waits to pick up the car and overnight parking issues at the port. It looks like the best thing to do would be a one day pick up and drop off which looks like I'll need to go to the airport. Any recommendations for a company without hassles.

I would check with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. We have used them a few times. You can cancel or change your booking at any time if a better price comes along, no cancel fees ever. No money is collected up front by DHCR. You pay at the rental desk. I don't know if DCHR lists Hertz with their straight to car option. It does sound good, but you may pay substantially more for the reservation, you'd just have to compare the various prices by company to see if it's worth it. Car rentals in Hawaii are surprisingly cheap. And also you'd have to verify that they send shuttles to the ship. Most of the companies run a continuous loop between the ship and the various car rental sites at the airport.

You can join the loyalty membership after you've decided on the car. We did for Thrifty, and then just had the membership number added to our reservation. That gets you into the fast track line. We waited longer for the shuttle to the airport than we did at the counter. Get off the ship early and get to the shuttle meeting area at the pier. When it goes smoothly, you can be in your car leaving the lot within 30 min or less from shuttle to car.

As far as overnight parking, the best option now seems to be to drop the car at the parking area very close to the car rental offices ( @ $10? ) and walk to the office to catch the shuttle back to the ship and the reverse in the am.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in doing a 2 day car rental in Maui. If I want to get back late from Lahaina (10/11) then leaving super early in the morning to catch the sunrise at Haleakala.

1. Is the airport the best (only?) place to park?

2. I assume they won't be running car rental shuttles at either of these times, correct?

3. Will a cab/Uber be the only way? Will I be able to get one at both these times?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Can any recent travelers confirm if there is still parking available for free at the port? If so, an approximately time you need to get your rental car parked to get a spot (5pm??) to enable an easier morning to get up and make your way to the crater for the sunrise?

Can any recent travelers confirm if there is still parking available for free at the port? If so, an approximately time you need to get your rental car parked to get a spot (5pm??) to enable an easier morning to get up and make your way to the crater for the sunrise?

Several recent discussions say that there is no longer any parking at the port.

There are several threads about other Maui overnight parking with information about those options.

I checked the DHCR website but our rental car price was cheaper using Costco Travel.

• 7 months later...
How late do the shuttles run going back to the ship?

I've been looking everywhere for the answer to this question. Does anyone know how late the shuttles run from the airport returning to the ship for all ports. Thanks