question about Bordeaux wine theme cruises

Trekker954

Does anyone know when visiting ports that include ship sponsored visits to wineries/chateaus is there another fee to enter and do the tastings, or is it typically included in our river cruise price. I'm looking at AMA.

I'm use to doing tastings in California where all the wineries now charge crazy prices. As well as when we did Italy private tours and in addition to the tour price, had to cough up $10 to 20 euro for each winery visited.

Not sure how this is handled on the river cruises.

Edited by Trekker954

Does anyone know when visiting ports that include ship sponsored visits to wineries/chateaus is there another fee to enter and do the tastings, or is it typically included in our river cruise price. I'm looking at AMA.

I'm use to doing tastings in California where all the wineries now charge crazy prices. As well as when we did Italy private tours and in addition to the tour price, had to cough up $10 to 20 euro for each winery visited.

Not sure how this is handled on the river cruises.

Ship-sponsored tours on AMA include all entrance fees. And our wine tasting at M. Chapoutier on the Rhone was of their better wines, not the entry-level choices they were serving at the public area.

We did Viking in December. There were no additional fees at the wineries for included wine tastings. We did an optional tour to 2 wineries. There were no additional fees other than the cost of tour.

Edited by patrickmoran

AMA's wine cruises are fabulous! We have done 4 so far and drank amazing wines onboard as well as during winery visits.

The wine host brings wine and there are tastings aboard as well as a pairing dinner. We have enjoyed many wines in the 30-70 per bottle price point over the course of our cruises with AMA. It flows freely.

We spent Christmas in St. Helena and paid $40 and $50 each for the tasting rooms we visited. We drank the same level of wines on our AMA wine cruises.

We traveled on the Viking Forseti in August 2015, there was 3 included wine tastings, Chateau d'Arche in Sauternes, Chateau Giscours and a dinner at Chateau Kirwan. There was an optional wine tour that we did not go on. When we were in St Emilion there were plenty of wine shops that offered tastings

Thanks everyone.

For the AMA cruise. We are trying to decide what the difference is in the Bordeaux cruises vs. the Bordeaux "Wine Cruise". They go to the same ports, list all the same itineraries. I do know that the ones marked "wine cruise" have an expert on board who will give lectures and supposedly brings certain wines on board.

I've seen enough cellars and have listed to enough lectures and classes to last a lifetime and not really interested in that. I'd do enjoy visiting countryside wineries and tasting. The "wine Cruise" dates are not when I want to go anyway, so I'm trying to decide if I'll be happy with the Bordeaux itinerary or will I be made to do the cellar tours, or can be left alone to enjoy a glass of wine in the countryside.

I'm not familiar with AMA. We did the Viking Bordeaux cruise in 2015 and loved the experience. Bordeaux is not like Napa Valley where most of the wineries have a tasting room open to the general public so you just can't pop in and taste wines. Viking had arrangements with a few Chateau's for tastings(no added fees). I'm sure with advanced planning, most places though would take you with an appointment. I think the difference between a "Wine Cruise" and the regular Bordeaux cruise is that better wines are poured on board, lectures are presented more often, and a Sommelier is on board.

The other thing about Bordeaux river cruising is that the ship doesn't really travel very far in a week compared to say the Rhine or Danube. The ship is more like a floating hotel. The ship schedule is based on the tides so sailing is different every week. Regardless, we enjoyed our trip with all the small villages and wines.

I think the difference between a "Wine Cruise" and the regular Bordeaux cruise is that better wines are poured on board, lectures are presented more often, and a Sommelier is on board.

The other thing about Bordeaux river cruising is that the ship doesn't really travel very far in a week compared to say the Rhine or Danube. The ship is more like a floating hotel. The ship schedule is based on the tides so sailing is different every week. Regardless, we enjoyed our trip with all the small villages and wines.

That is not the case with AMA - a wine cruise is hosted by a winery, wine maker, wine expert - and special wines are brought aboard and special events planned (and included) on and off the ship. Cannot speak about Viking as I don't/won't cruise with them.

Thanks everyone.

For the AMA cruise. We are trying to decide what the difference is in the Bordeaux cruises vs. the Bordeaux "Wine Cruise". They go to the same ports, list all the same itineraries. I do know that the ones marked "wine cruise" have an expert on board who will give lectures and supposedly brings certain wines on board.

I've seen enough cellars and have listed to enough lectures and classes to last a lifetime and not really interested in that. I'd do enjoy visiting countryside wineries and tasting. The "wine Cruise" dates are not when I want to go anyway, so I'm trying to decide if I'll be happy with the Bordeaux itinerary or will I be made to do the cellar tours, or can be left alone to enjoy a glass of wine in the countryside.

I answered your question above:

"We have done 4 so far and drank amazing wines onboard as well as during winery visits.

The wine host brings wine and there are tastings aboard as well as a pairing dinner. We have enjoyed many wines in the 30-70 per bottle price point over the course of our cruises with AMA. It flows freely."

No boring lectures and you are certainly not "made to to" anything. AMA has other excursions and activities for those not interested in the special wine related events and tastings.

We are interested in a Bordeaux cruise. Not all the cruise lines have such a cruise.

Vantage does not have one, but Grand Circle has one, as does AMA and Viking.

AMA does a great wine cruise, we did one on the Rhone.

We would also like to visit the Basque region of Spain, across the border from the Bordeaux region.

We are interested in a Bordeaux cruise. Not all the cruise lines have such a cruise.

Vantage does not have one, but Grand Circle has one, as does AMA and Viking.

AMA does a great wine cruise, we did one on the Rhone.

We would also like to visit the Basque region of Spain, across the border from the Bordeaux region.

It would be easy to rent a car at the end of your cruise and drive to St-Jean-du-Luz, then inland to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port (beginning of the Camino de Santiago), over the Pyrenees to Pamplona (Hemingway!), then back to the coast for Bilbao (Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Museum) and up through San Sebastian and back to Bordeaux.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. We will book our Bordeaux cruise on Ama. We are just trying to decide on which month. We thought September or October, but now looking weather, it may be a little chilly then. So maybe August won't be too hot afterall.

Thank you everyone. We will book our Bordeaux cruise on Ama. We are just trying to decide on which month. We thought September or October, but now looking weather, it may be a little chilly then. So maybe August won't be too hot afterall.

We did the Viking Bordeaux cruise in June of 2016. The weather was mostly good, but it did get rather hot on a few days of the week. I would guess that August could get really hot. October is probably safer, if you're concerned about the heat. Whenever you choose to go, it will be a wonderful time! I'm ready to go back :)

Jeff

• 7 months later...

Question for Trekker954

Did you go on the AMA Bordeaux itinerary? Looking @ this for next year. Any input would be appreciated

thx

Carole

We’re now on Viking Forseti on Bordeaux cruise, today we’re in Blaye. Had previously only cruised AMA in April on the Tulip Time. We loved it and were a bit jaded about Viking coming onto this cruise. We won it and were only able to make a reservation 120 days within sailing so ended up with deck 1 porthole instead of french balcony. Since it’s free we really wanted to try Viking. Must say there are only subtle differences with AMA. We’re still partial to AMA however if it came down to a significant price difference we’d definitely go on Viking again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We did a wine cruise with AMA last summer, and it was fantastic! Everything is included, no extra charges! Plus, some great wine tastings on the ship by the sponsored winemakers!

We loved AMA, have another trip booked in Dec!:D

We did a wine cruise with AMA last summer, and it was fantastic! Everything is included, no extra charges! Plus, some great wine tastings on the ship by the sponsored winemakers!

We loved AMA, have another trip booked in Dec!:D

Looking@ this itinerary for 2018. Question in the Wine Cruise brochure AMA includes an "Illumination Cruise" in Bordeaux but I do not see this item in the regular cruise itinerary. So for anyone out there do BOTH include this?

Thx

Carole

• 9 months later...
Question for Trekker954

Did you go on the AMA Bordeaux itinerary? Looking @ this for next year. Any input would be appreciated

thx

Carole

Just booked on Ama Dolce for May 2019.

Wine lovers might like to know that The American Wine Society have been using AMA for their annual wine cruises. It was Bordeaux this year, next year its the Rhone hosted by Paul Wagner.

I'm not sure if the board allows a link to be posted so I won't but the info sheet is easy to find using a search engine.

I have't been on AWS cruises, but I've been to tastings presented by Paul Wagner. He is an amusing and knowledgeable speaker and has great access to wineries and wines.