Dressing 4 dinner

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 AM.
2 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
hi
Hello everyone on cruisecritic!
This is my first post so here goes lol
I'm new to cruising, we've booked a cruise for Jan 18 around the Caribbean and as I've never been on a cruise ship I'm not sure what clothes to pack.
Normally on holiday I wear shorts all the time, swimming shorts in the daytime and formal shorts in the evening. Also I wear sandals ALL the time!
So what I would like to know is when wouldn't I be allowed to wear sandals and when wouldn't I be allowed to wear shorts? I'm assuming it might be the evening dinner period but any information would be helpful in helping me decide what to pack & what to buy before sailing
Thanks in advance
Dronfield. NE Derbyshire
451 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Shorts and sandalls are fine during the day but you would be expected to wear a shirt or t.shirt in the restaurants/bars. In the evening most people wear smart/casual i.e. trousers and an open neck shirt. You would need these to eat in the main dining room, however you can wear shorts in the buffet. Depends what you prefer but most people will be fairly dressed up.
2 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by dronnygirl
Shorts and sandalls are fine during the day but you would be expected to wear a shirt or t.shirt in the restaurants/bars. In the evening most people wear smart/casual i.e. trousers and an open neck shirt. You would need these to eat in the main dining room, however you can wear shorts in the buffet. Depends what you prefer but most people will be fairly dressed up.
Would jeans be allowed in the evening?
What about shoes? Are canvas deck shoes allowed or does it have to be shoes?
Huddersfield
761 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jeans - Not in any of the waiter service restaurants. My hubby wears deck shoes but they are suede nubuck beige/blue can't think what canvas deck shoes look like sorry
Doncaster
1,680 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Cruisincraigy
Would jeans be allowed in the evening?
What about shoes? Are canvas deck shoes allowed or does it have to be shoes?

have seen smart dark jeans in the mdr, ave heard people say its a no to sandals for men
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
thomson celebration jan 2009, april 2009,jan 2010, oct 2010, feb 2011
thomson spirit oct 2011, oct 2012,march 2013
thomson majesty may 2013
thomson dream oct 2013
thomson celebration jan 2014
thomson spirit april 2014,oct 2014, april 2015
thomson dream oct 2015, jan 2016, march 2016
thomson spirit oct 2016
tui discovery b2b jan 2017
tui discovery 2 may 2017

future criuise 12/10- 26/10- 2017 thomson spirit
3/06/2018 tui discovery
21/10/2018 thomson spirit

Andalucia, Southern Spain
2,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by mtt
ave heard people say its a no to sandals for men
So have I.

My husband can only wear sandals due to medical issues. I contacted Thomson and they said I would have to explain this to the Maitre d' on arrival so he would be allowed in the MDR wearing sandals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

October 2017 - Marella Discovery 2 (Colourful Coasts)
May 2017 - TUI Discovery 2 (Continental Coasts + Iberian Treasures)
October 2016 - Thomson Majesty (Catalan Promise)
June 2016 - Thomson Spirit (Iberian Treasures)
November 2015 - Thomson Dream (Spanish Escapes)
July 2015 - Thomson Dream (Mediterranean Medley)
November 2014 - Thomson Dream (Iberian Escapade)
April 2014 - Thomson Majesty (Spanish Sensations)
October 2013 - Thomson Dream (Treasures of the Mediterranean)
May 2012 - Thomson Dream (Mediterranean Medley)
Kent, England
6,217 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Minimum standard for dress in the evenings. Trousers and open necked shirt for the evening. Shirts should have sleeves. Smart dress jeans will be OK. For formal evenings (applies to the mdr only) a shirt rather than a tee shirt. I wear a tie too.

Dress trainers are OK for the evening.

formal evenings are now called 'dress to impress'

ps - wearing your favourite footie team shirt does not impress!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
Lancashire, UK
189 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
we are also doing the Caribbean in Jan 18, on Celebration. First time to Caribbean but not first cruise.
My DH will be taking smart casual for the evenings - chinos, short-sleeved shirts etc and probably a jacket & tie for the 'posh' night, rather than dinner jacket.
I'll be going down the maxi dress/summer dress/linen trousers route
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EB (previously Bisphambelle)
5 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by davecttr
Minimum standard for dress in the evenings. Trousers and open necked shirt for the evening. Shirts should have sleeves. Smart dress jeans will be OK. For formal evenings (applies to the mdr only) a shirt rather than a tee shirt. I wear a tie too.

Dress trainers are OK for the evening.

formal evenings are now called 'dress to impress'

ps - wearing your favourite footie team shirt does not impress!
are polo shirts acceptable for the mdr apart from the formal nights

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Lancashire, UK
189 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by mfergie
are polo shirts acceptable for the mdr apart from the formal nights

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I'm sure I saw polo shirts last July in the MDR, in fact my DH may have worn them!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EB (previously Bisphambelle)
Scotland
184 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Shorts, cropped trousers, tshirts and sandals are fine for day time. Smart casual for evenings eg. Long trousers and collared shirt for men, no sandals.
Smart trousers, dressy tops, dresses for ladies. More formal wear for the captain's night.
There is no such thing as smart jeans or smart trainers no matter what the name or the price tag.
I have seen people turned away from the MDR wearing jeans and " smart shorts ".
Why cause yourself the embarrassment of being turned away in from of other diners.
Kent, England
6,217 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Yes, polo shirts are just fine for non formal nights.

Of course there are smart jeans, they don't have to be blue and stone washed, faded and full off holes. I have a dark brown pair and they were accepted on non formal nights. I have seen people wearing white ones!. There are smart trainers as well. I have black, dark blue, mid grey and white versions, only the white ones look like trainers.

With the introduction of Discovery and dress to impress evenings TUI is making formal nights less formal and more relaxed, as befits a holiday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
West Mids
1,744 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I for one feel totally relaxed when in my tux and it would in no way benefit my holiday experience if I went into dinner in a polo shirt but I can understand and have no problems if others prefer to dress in that way 😀

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app
UK
392 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
The way I look at it is you either have a dress code or you don't; there is no in-between. It reminds me of when I was at school many years ago and we would try and push the uniform boundaries as far as we could! I've seen many holiday makers do the same thing on cruise ships, arguing that the shorts or trainers they are wearing are indeed smart and should be allowed. Dress codes should be clearly stated and rigorously adhered to; they are places to eat on all ships for those who want to be more casual.
sussex
146 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Know what you are saying but this is the 21st century, not the sixties, when all men wore suits on Saturday nights out. When we were on the Discovery in January we ate in the main restaurant every night and did not see anybody pushing the boundaries. Not a great fan of Thomson but think they have got it right in relaxing the DJ , suit rule and gone for dress to impress. There are some smashing clothes for men these days and the main thing on holiday is to have fun and not be governed by outdated rules.
12 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by dorothy09
Know what you are saying but this is the 21st century, not the sixties, when all men wore suits on Saturday nights out. When we were on the Discovery in January we ate in the main restaurant every night and did not see anybody pushing the boundaries. Not a great fan of Thomson but think they have got it right in relaxing the DJ , suit rule and gone for dress to impress. There are some smashing clothes for men these days and the main thing on holiday is to have fun and not be governed by outdated rules.
As long as clothes are clean, don't smell, don't have any offensive language on them and cover all the bits I don't care what someone is wearing!

Sent from my SGP611 using Forums mobile app
UK
392 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Don't get my wrong - I didn't say that people should always be suited and booted on a cruise! I spend every working day in a suit so don't particularly want to wear one whilst on holiday. But what I am saying is that where a dress code exists then it should be enforced and people can choose to eat at that particular restaurant or not. If Thomson's are relaxing their code then fine; I've cruised with Carnival and NCL, both of whom are totally casual. However, on more "formal" cruises I know what the rules are before I go and pack clothing accordingly.
12 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
vwgolf, no offense intended. I don't think it was you who said it but I am bemused when people say smart jeans and trainers aren't smart as if it is a fact. It is an opinion not a fact. Very view things are inherently aesthetically pleasing to the human eye. The Golden Ratio would seem to be one of the few cases. Formal wear differs across the world, across time and across cultures, so a suit is "smart" because of social convention, familiarity and the recent history of fashion, it is not inherently smart.

I too wear a suit at work 5 days a week. I shall probably wear one and a tie on Dress to Impress night. Now this might seem a bit odd (grumpy old man syndrome ) but if I was told I had to wear at least a suit and tie, I might consider skipping the night in the MDR, but because I "could" go in chinos and polo shirt I am more happy to be suited and booted. I guess it's to do with having a choice.

I do wonder though what the reaction would be if there was a designated "casual night" in the MDR and suits , shirts and ties were not allowed :-) Light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance
Teignmouth
318 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I totally agree vwgolf.
We use decent hotels in the Med and Canaries when we are not cruising and they all have a dinner dress code which stipulates long trousers for men, and no beach wear in general in the restaurants. The maitre d will discreetly refuse entry to non conformists.
It is pleasant to see people nicely dressed, and it does maintain standards.