Photoshop/Lightroom CC Saving In JPEG Issues

shootr

Something has changed drastically in the last update of these apps.

Today I'm trying to touch up my reunion pics. I do 99% of the exposure editing in Lightroom, and the file size is approx. 8MB. I go to PS to Content-Aware remove some items, but it open as a TIFF, and when I save it, in Lightroom it goes down to a 1.5MB size file.

If I save the picture from PS, it saves as a TIFF in the lower res.

After fruitless Googling, I managed to change random settings to save as a JPEG, but when I ope that file, its all washed out without any of the pop of the touched up LR file.

So I either have a washed out hi-res pic, or a colorful low res pic.

Can someone review what settings I might be overlooking to get back to the way it was: Editing in Lightroom as a JPEG, "Edit in PS" as a full res image, and saving it back to LR as a full-res image.

I'd love to post examples, but between CC limited use of photo hosting sites, Google being flaky today, and Photobuckets latest shenanigans, I'm without a compatible hosting site right now.

Thanks

I have no clue what I changed, but at least I'm able to save from PS with color edits - but still very small file sizes.

If the original image JPEG out of the camera is 6000X3376, 350dpi (7.6MB), why is LR/PS saving as a JPEG at a cropped 4674X3376, but only 240DPI (900KB file size)?

How do I save at 350DPI? I want to be able to blow some of these up to 20 x 16 or so.

Thanks again for looking.

I shoot in Camera Raw and convert to DNG on import so this may not be your answer:

Have you verified the following under LR Preferences:

External editing - Choose File Format (PSD or TIFF) - Resolution set to: 350 repeat to same values at bottom of the page. Images coming into LR will be set to this resolution or whatever resolution you choose.

In Photoshop set image size as follows:

Image - Image Resize - Uncheck the Resample box - change resolution to desired amount - Check the Resample box - set desired Height or Width - choose Resample option (automatic works for me)

Not sure this is what you need but it is my best guess.

A few thoughts based on your description.

Preferences:

p2424906431-5.jpg

Make sure your presets for PS and any other external editor are set to what you want. If an upgrade reset these to defaults, it may be part of your issue.

A Note on DPI/PPI (resolution): Doesn't matter while editing. Period. (Unless you are scanning and the input setting is too low to capture detail.) My old Minolta camera captured at 72 PPI and my A6x00s capture at 350 PPI. a 6000 x 4000 image at 72 PPI is listed at 80"+ wide while the 350PPI image is about 17". As long as the image retains a number of pixels you desire, all is well. A full screen 24MP image at 72 PPI will look exactly the same as a 24MP file at 300 PPI. Pixel count is what matters, not how many per inch the file specifies for old screen pixel pitch reasons. Where you run into issues is if you resize an image or save as a printable image and specify, say 16x20, without specifying the output PPI. At 72 PPI, the image would be 1440x1152 or about 1.5MP. At 350 PPI, the image would be 7000x5600 or about 39 MP. Most printers operate comfortably at 240-300 PPI which slightly exceeds the human eye's ability to discern individual pixels.

Export settings:

p2424908530-5.jpg

The most important things here are File Settings and Image Sizing. The compression level on export defaults to 80. I generally set it to 95. On a 24MP file the difference is 12MB vs. a little less than 5. In most cases, this won't be visually noticeable but the higher compression will combine more near colors and may affect the perceived "pop" a bit. Image size and resolution defaults to various levels in LR's presets. I have created several of my own to cover different target destinations. My most-used one is "Full Size Upload" for sending to Zenfolio for display and storage. It is set at No Resize, 240PPI, and 95 JPEG Quality. With a calibrated display and the human eye's inability to resolve the extra billion or so shades available in a 16-bit TIFF, the output files look great as long as I keep the size and compression under control.

Hope this helps and didn't go over too much of what you already know.

Dave

I have no clue what I changed, but at least I'm able to save from PS with color edits - but still very small file sizes. If the original image JPEG out of the camera is 6000X3376, 350dpi (7.6MB), why is LR/PS saving as a JPEG at a cropped 4674X3376, but only 240DPI (900KB file size)? How do I save at 350DPI? I want to be able to blow some of these up to 20 x 16 or so.

Not a direct fix for your issue, but IMHO quit worrying about DPI. It's not relevant in the digital world, and although it's relevant to the printing world, you're doing it backwards. First, if your original was 6000x3376 and your result is 4674x3376, the short side is still the same length so it seems the saved image has different proportions - something happened to crop off the sides or the top (no idea which without seeing it). Second, if you want to do a large print at 20x16, you do NOT want 350DPI. If you set your image to 350DPI, you're saying don't print this so large that it won't have at least 350 dots per inch: a 6000x3376 image at 350dpi is only 17.1x9.6, so you've effectively told the printer that you don't want it enlarged past that point. At 240dpi, it's 25x14.1". That said, large wall prints are rarely viewed at close range, so if the print works at 16x20, it'll probably work bigger than that as the bigger print will probably be viewed from progressively farther away.

Regardless, DPI doesn't set the resolution of the image; pixels (and JPEG quality) do. When I Export from LR, I usually do two sets: one at full resolution and quality 89%, the other limited to 1200x1200 pixels and quality 79%. I leave them set to 240DPI but tend to ignore that setting.

First, I owe you all a frosty beverage for taking the time to clearly explain all this.

I was given the reunion photography responsibilities, and I did enjoy it and got some good shots - I was just wanting to make sure that when I hand off the digital files to the family, they'll be able to enlarge them/print them up to about 20 x 16 with decent quality.

If I'm following, I'll be exporting from Lightroom after all editing in PS and LR, at 240DPI, and 80% quality (not 100%?). I changed my PS settings to match what you have Dave, just in case.

I wasn't trusting my flawed logic. I can stream the pics to my TV, and they look beautiful - so I thought I might be OK, but before I went too far, I wanted to get your opinion.

Seriously though, I hope this helps others so your significant effort isn't wasted on just dumb ol' me... :-)

Thanks again!

Seeing how you generously offered this LR info, I'm going to push my luck and ask another...

When I'm importing into LR, all the new pics show. I uncheck them all, then select the ones I want to edit and import them.

If I screw up and start over, in the IMPORT screen, the ones I selected previously are grayed out and I can't select them again - right click says they are imported already.

BUT WHERE??? I can't find them to put them into the DEVELOP bar to edit...

First, I owe you all a frosty beverage for taking the time to clearly explain all this.

I was given the reunion photography responsibilities, and I did enjoy it and got some good shots - I was just wanting to make sure that when I hand off the digital files to the family, they'll be able to enlarge them/print them up to about 20 x 16 with decent quality.

If I'm following, I'll be exporting from Lightroom after all editing in PS and LR, at 240DPI, and 80% quality (not 100%?). I changed my PS settings to match what you have Dave, just in case.

I wasn't trusting my flawed logic. I can stream the pics to my TV, and they look beautiful - so I thought I might be OK, but before I went too far, I wanted to get your opinion.

Seriously though, I hope this helps others so your significant effort isn't wasted on just dumb ol' me... :-)

Thanks again!

You got it all except for the export quality and that may be my fuzzy writing. My example was of the default at 80%-sh but my personal presets are at 95% for upload/storage. If I send something to print, I generally leave it at 95% (difference between 95% and 100% is negligible), 240 PPI (from Lightroom) or 300 PPI from directly from Photoshop (300 is the default in Photoshop when I create a blank canvas of the proper size and place my image on it) and sRGB color space.

I hope this leads to wild success!

Dave

Seeing how you generously offered this LR info, I'm going to push my luck and ask another...

When I'm importing into LR, all the new pics show. I uncheck them all, then select the ones I want to edit and import them.

If I screw up and start over, in the IMPORT screen, the ones I selected previously are grayed out and I can't select them again - right click says they are imported already.

BUT WHERE??? I can't find them to put them into the DEVELOP bar to edit...

If you import the files and subsequently "delete" them to start over, be sure you click "Delete From Disk" and not "Remove". Remove simply blanks them from the catalog but keeps them in the directory on the drive. Since the files are still physically on the drive, Lightroom won't re-import them. If you want to make them visible again to "Delete", right-click on the directory in the navigation tree on the left and choose "Sychronize Folder".

You can also right-click and choose "Show In Explorer" to open Windows File Explorer to display the files directly. I prefer the first method since it keeps Lightroom from guessing at the state of the files.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Like herding cats - but everyone seems pleased - especially with the final bill (couple of Guinness' at the afterparty!)

iPdy35AIKqYj83PY7ePKG6SSxTVfsDuwTHkV7peOKnaUbRtRMtTKi2FdXPgcE9uwOMvh_kgRTM50vFTL8DJMWgS1XDcuF-l_QGuuVrk3jXq0KqVdg__ovHXogFM7ggZAcz5QwHMmb0fXdPcj0AU0rAHnvV795108TXKdPWusl2CCRx80KBMdAe8laCne5pBddUecHb3Wi43KtjRDjMpjNxb7kW70CPgGmcLikbD4kiy797g7Ov5TA1Xq234psFsqFajYadRyQMMJ_ie1SFESg-JHrCBzuJg3fBT1EWNMyxw7cjMsDkpOtYZUhLUnsd3sfIFyv7lEgrmJ-AswkEbA67YscFi-6lW9kcWOAWR3nCm-LQMajzxvKIv0rFRFbXQLgNangCvt4fWLmCR77emE0xLjXANqQqRH0SkzkzN7z5dzACrIPfPpgsK4-SKgFr8YKilOLu5h_R8s2BScWsl84hsRL6tg5gYa3c-tR2RI3-phYV9_DDYGU1FsafjIXL84EmT0KEeNKdlb49Rr6g5_OldF9tKo6Gzu3rxQb8IJ9LHkAVcLm73yX6-43Ow6ybzyrsC3YuoLxMJm4hh4wI2oJPl6v8Pkg7O8MbJqw452I3OuN32l5j5_dK6Avyrooad-nJmCoaL_Kd733MvAbZuJ8DHEc9s18MAn=w1667-h963-no

And the final shot

kquwTzDJF09m0yREpGbYlWRON1uveQhg50i1p09tWzuoSoUtN4WFeq4ekwOIUAcr8toAnUju8nAntll0LJhguVhXcDUkdLM6mIAmpYqtGyJ8sRDY1jFdY6FS3lJEjcuR9e_X-qaBAamuP7-OWXNPnBWpqDl4qbnFpFiaVD56u_3wS6rgGQ8T-NmW9Ouhpu3ORlm_jaA297z-kVkW3E6LLNAA8qezzlqrXaG53-5pVHtuFu_hOnYr8KYVMbA3e6YBLYhQ3rgYJE-cEbv_Agg2FWyWxWyphhmIbjllZV_3gr5jttotBk_hLw2NtZZEuFjby7clQjdtTbu3IHajRjt9Qm2cdyZ-Zi5fDCD26O7PwpQgGN6EHFfcALT4OfY77erkDTd45CC_5Eudc2qJQGPJ_pVJTyx2tQBBAcnBBXRGneJqLRMYa_KvCoh4juwcu8L7L4ErqF4RGrTQK-HEsgSVeN7J6xUtEu9ixfaTRBBcH8Wsgl9W-VsoSDO_UT8vOAUpVM2ESpFCES7_6eI1DCvCAaI4YY1GgXvnWNhy7S2AGZARm0wKBagxyRAGR2ONluO_f9GGPLhHU8zCbCToVrubb9K4kLZbMcmMGX_ddZPbiT6XTlHCuR0GjkFDWuDZSWIoPbqmlwOsPQv-kt0z5RSqYNdOT_3O-o8c=w1708-h964-no

Thanks again for the LR and PS help folks!

Edited by shootr

Very nicely done, cat herder!

Last year, we got the family together for my in-law's 60th wedding anniversary. The photo below is actually a four-photo panorama with one extra shot by a stunt photographer to get me in the picture. Merge to Panorama didn't understand that part was in sunlight, blended some body parts and removed the legs from one of the kids. Manual repairs were tedious and sometimes frustrating. All came out well in the end. It was part of my years-long discovery process where I've found the answer to most PS & LR issues is, F1-help, Google and practice, practice, practice! (The occasional plea to forum members doesn't hurt either.) :)

p2104250406-5.jpg

Dave

Nice! Same here - my brother's in-law's on the left = 65th anniversary, my parents on the right = 60th. Mobility issues limited us to the lobby of the hotel. The place my SIL (overall event coordinator) picked - I even had Google pics of the setting and could tell it was too narrow for 40+ people - but I can only try to explain so much...

Didn't help I was stuck using the wide angle either, so the people on the edges are misshapen. I'm sure there's something to be done with that, but I'll figure it out later. I'd rather bask in the fun memories - I love that the image is full of everyone genuinely having a good time.

• 2 months later...
Didn't help I was stuck using the wide angle either, so the people on the edges are misshapen. I'm sure there's something to be done with that, but I'll figure it out later. I'd rather bask in the fun memories - I love that the image is full of everyone genuinely having a good time.

I know you didn't originally ask about this, but you raised the issue at the end of the thread...Lightroom has a database of lens "profiles", and if your lens is listed, you can correct for the wide angle distortion in Lightroom before you export and edit in PS. If your lens isn't listed, try using a profile for a similar lens. If you regularly make a number of adjustments (exposure, lens profiling, cropping, etc) you might want to consider shooting in RAW, and edit as a TIFF or a DNG or PSD, which don't throw away information, unlike JPG which thows more and more information away with each "save". Also, RAW has a wider exposure range and sometimes you can save details in the shadows and highlights that get lost even while the image is still in the camera on its way to becoming a JPG.